What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More bad news for AFL

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Now Gary Ablett has come forward amidst allegations that he sold supplied to ecstacy and heroin to a young girl. Its been claimed that he told her the heroin was cocaine - she eventually died from an overdose.

Gary Ablett is an AFL legend and although this is clearly an off-field incident, it's sure to have some effect on the AFL community..

Its been a year ofwoe for Aussie Rules.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I should point out that most will think this was news from last year but its just coming to the fore now.
At previous hearings, Ablett exercised his right to not answer questions that might incriminate him. He seems to have had a change of mind and is now coming forward.

this does not relect on the AFL at all, how can it, Ablett has been retired for 5 years, how long do u say the AFL should take responsibility for his actons?

point 2, the girl in question took 6 ecstacy tablets in 1 night, she was not forced to, she took them of her own free will, yes he did supply her with what he was told was coke, but turned out o be heroin.

why has this been a year of woe for the AFL?

id have to agree with slugger, the ablett incident doesnt really reflect the AFL

Why has it been a yearof woe for AFL though?? A few....

- Wide spread drug allegations from Dale Lewis
- The Wayne Carey affair (pardon the pun)
- Fighting between clubs in a pub after the game (Port V Crows)
- Avg Crowds way down
- Clubs recording huge losses, 10/16 for year 2002
- AFL recording a large loss in the order of 17m (ask Meltiger for the article, i lost it!)
- Clubs being sued (Carlton for administering a career ending substance to a player), Adelaide i believe for not properly ensuring that the centre bounce was in a playable state (i think this one had to do with Shaun Rehn)
- All-time low pre-season crowds
- Club fighting between different teams (Swans and Collingwood)
- Salary Cap Breaches (Carlton)
- Obscene hand gestures (from a W.Bulldogs player if memory serves during a game)

Hmmm...should i keep going?? lol
Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Where did I say the AFL should take responsibility forAblett's actions?

The AFL is effected by this because of who he is but they are not directly responsible for something which was a tragedy and part ofa much larger social problem.

But the news is being handled by AFL commentators as well as the regular news.
My understanding is that Ablett is (or was) under consideration for theAFL Hall Of Fame but thats now unlikely... it is therefore something that has a bearing within the AFL community.

The news has re-surfaced because he has now decided to come clean and once again, the AFL commentators are being asked to talk about it.

As for your 'point 2' - are you agreeing with me? Didnt I say she took ecstacy and then he gave her some heroin...? Not sure what you mean by 'she was not forced to, she took them of her own free will...' - are you saying that makes it OK then for to try and get someone further hooked...?
The fact is, she didnt take heroin (far more addictive, far more expensive and far more damaging than cocaine) of her own free will. The fact is, she died.
Your whole second paragraph makes no sense to me.

It has been a woeful time of late for AFL. Do you want someone to list all the scandals and embarrassments of the code since last year? Starting with with yesterday's story fromCarlton perhaps...?

i just did that ;)

i think a few w.coast players got done for that actually, not 100% sure though. Also, we had that wanker warwick capper get done for abusing a ref.

im being totally naive, but did it come out in the wash that he knew it was heroin?? I dunno, i mean he is only an ex-footy head, i dont know how up he would be on the differences between drugs. But the point does stand, she died as a result of it

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
oops, I see someone has already taken up the invitation and rattled off a list... oh well.

Moffo: "the ablett incident doesnt really reflect the AFL"
I agree, its definitely a socal issue first and foremost but to say it has no effect whatsoever is ignoring the way people react to such things.
I'm sure the AFL could have done without this.

name a sport with no scandals
do u think carlton are the only side to be in breach of the salary cap, do u think the bulldogs are the only NRL side to cheat
all sports have there dickheads and cheats, Filandia, hoppa, 1/2 the paki cricket team, ice skating judges, its the $$ that make these people think they are invincible, if we paid them real wages not hundreds of thousands of $$ to play a sport then we migh see some change but while th dollar rules, teams and individuals will cheat to win at all costs.

and other points, Wayne carey again is not an afl or sport issue, just a dumb mistake by 2 people, clubs having a punch up in a pub after a nasty game, really is that so bad, are we that sad that it becomes a major drama, clubs recording loses is a big issue, but it goes back to players and coaches being paid way to much money to run around and kick a footy all week. Obscence hand gestures, really, how old r we, shall we censor th TV when players mouth a "naughty" word too?

AFL has had better years no doubt but most isses are so isolated and can be attributed to 1 or 2 individuals i think sometimes people belive what they read in papers and see on tv way too much.

just my opinions and we all have them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its just a sad story really. A couple of people using drugs and one night it all went wrong. Ablett was reportedly having trouble dealing with life after Aussie Rules and drugs seemed to offer a solution.
It happens every day offcourse but usually to less well-known people.

Moffo: I saw Warrick and Missus Capper at a restaurant here a few weeks back. Its interesting to note that they are as slack jaw in the flesh as they are portrayed on TV. But the restaurant manager did suck up to them and they got their meals for free.
Proof that God rewards fame and not brains. ;)

El Duque

Bench
So was he on drugs when he was in the AFL?

Doesn't the AFL not test in the off season and could this have made it easier for him to become a junky?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Slugger, no one is saying that AFL is the only sport with scandals. You can be sure that the media isn't backward in coming forward whenever a Rugby League controversy surfaces...

As for Wayne Carey... if it wasnt an AFL issue, then why did his team mates refuse to play with him and why was he sacked?

I assume the AFL has a similarrule as the NRL regarding bringing the game into disrepute?

"i think sometimes people belive what they read in papers and see on tv way too much."
Sometimes... but not in this thread. Everything is on public record.

<span>Ablett: I gave Alisha drugs</span>
<span>By Jeremy Kelly</span>
<span>November 13, 2002</span>
<span> DISGRACED former football hero Gary Ablett has finally revealed all about the drug-filled night of shame that led to the death of 20-year-old Alisha Horan.
<table width=200 align=right> <tbody> <tr> <td> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=middle>
0,3600,219172,00.jpg
</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left>Ablett and Horan at the hotel reception / File
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>Ablett, 41, has told police ahead of his expected court appearance tomorrow that he and Ms Horan took six ecstasy pills each. And he confessed he later allowed her to snort heroin after telling her it was cocaine. It is understood Ablett voluntarily provided the account of the hours leading up to Ms Horan's death. He was charged with four drug offences - using and possessing ecstasy and using and possessing heroin. It is the first time the former Geelong great has provided details about events on the night of February 16, 2000. Ablett refused to testify at the inquest into Ms Horan's death, with his lawyer arguing the former star could incriminate himself. Ms Horan, 20, died after a day-long drinking and drug-taking session with the man many regard as the most skilled player of the modern era. In a police summary, seen by the Herald Sun, it is alleged Ablett was staying at the Park Hyatt Hotel on the night of February 16 when friend and alleged drug dealer Clayton Brown visited. It is alleged Mr Brown, who fled Australia with his girlfriend after the incident, gave Ablett about 12 ecstasy pills as a "gift". Later that day Ablett and Ms Horan, who a coroner said was clearly infatuated with her hero, each took about six ecstasy pills before going out for dinner in South Melbourne. They then went to Mr Brown's South Yarra flat, the summary reveals. Police allege Ablett and Ms Horan returned to the hotel about 12.30am and as Ms Horan went to the toilet, Ablett took out some heroin that had been given to him several weeks earlier by a man he knew only as "Butch". Ablett then laid out some lines of heroin and proceeded to snort some of it, it is alleged. Ms Horan came out of the toilet, asked Ablett what it was, and he is alleged to have said it was cocaine. Ms Horan told Ablett she would like to try some and she then snorted some of the heroin. It is not known whether Ablett was aware the substance was heroin and not cocaine. Ablett told police that soon after, he fell asleep. When he awoke next morning, Ms Horan was unconscious. Ms Horan died about 8pm on February 18, having never regained consciousness. In March last year, coroner Noreen Toohey found Ms Horan died from hypoxic brain injury and multiple drug toxicity. An autopsy revealed the presence of heroin, amphetamines and ecstasy in Ms Horan's body. Ms Toohey said that it was unfortunate that Ablett was too drunk and probably drug-affected to help Ms Horan, who otherwise might still be alive. "This case is a clear example of a high-profile sportsman failing to take his responsibility seriously," she said in her finding. Ablett did not give evidence at the inquest after his QC, Philip Dunn, argued Ablett could incriminate himself. However, it is believed that the charges Ablett now faces were laid after Ablett contacted police. It is believed he gave his version of events in the presence of his lawyer in February this year. Ablett, of Grovedale in Geelong, has been charged on summons and is listed to appear in Melbourne Magistrates' Court tomorrow.
<span>Herald Sun</span>
Cheers: www.news.com.au Moffo</span>

imported_midas

Juniors
I don,t think any of these problems are peculiar to AFL.If RL was to compile a list we could probably parallel everything done in AFL.We have had drug scandals,bum-poking,gun-running,pub blues,wife-bashing,shoe-crapping and so it goes on.It is a societal problem and one which will occur with increasing frequency ,unfortunately.

slugger - if i saw any sport with the list that i put down before, than i would say that they had a year of woe. Be it AFL, RL or lawnbowls.

Id say RL had continous years of woe from 1995-01

Moffo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you look at the article that Moffo posted above, there are numerous references to the sport, I say 'the sport' because it could be any sport.

My point still stands that regardless of its validity, this incident will inevtably and repeatedly make reference to the AFL.

rugby league had continuos woes this year too, the bulldogs and now even this loud mouth from the eels, fitzgerald( i think), what he said surley is bring the game into disrepute.

EL D, afl does test the players, Ablett was never found to have drugs in his system when tested, if that means he was clean the whole time, i dont know, but he was clean when it was needed.

I think it is worse though to be caught taking drugs whilst still playing, eg, field and mcguiness, this i think has more effect on the public, the Ablett issue is now a case of people just feeling sorry for a fallen great.

The kangaroos showed loyalty to anthony stevens as he was the innocent party in the affiar of his wife and wayne and for the good of the clubCarey resigned and wasn't sacked.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With respect slugger, this is not a competition as to who has the most skeletons in the closet. But OK... I appreciate its hard to put the brakes on once its gets started.

Wayne Carey was not sacked? Interesting... heleft after his team mates refused to play with him.
Sorry mate, he may have resigned but only a goose would think that he had a choice.

Latest posts