What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More field goals ?

MaxB

Juniors
It frustrates me when I see players advancing toward their goal posts only to be rebuffed by strong defence and the ball is simply kicked down someones throat after the fifth tackle whereas a field goal could have been attempted and maybe they would have gained an extra point.
Inability at not being able to prevent the score advancing in this way could draw opposition players off their try line to prevent the field goal being kicked and this would open up gaps in defence delivering an opportunity to score a try instead.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I see you are still on the ElephantJuice, Max; but, this is not as outrageous as your double play thread.

Could be used as a ploy.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It frustrates me when I see players advancing toward their goal posts only to be rebuffed by strong defence and the ball is simply kicked down someones throat after the fifth tackle whereas a field goal could have been attempted and maybe they would have gained an extra point.
Inability at not being able to prevent the score advancing in this way could draw opposition players off their try line to prevent the field goal being kicked and this would open up gaps in defence delivering an opportunity to score a try instead.
so instead of a bomb/cross kick/grubber/run on the last and run the risk of turning the ball over, or getting a drop out & 6 more tackles or a try, you propose to take 1 point option every time.

that'll bring the crowds in.

go back to bed Max

The NRL should be encouraging teams to score more tries.Golden point is a farce at the moment because teams mainly concentrate on field goals for victory in a 10 minute period,imagine this over 80 minutes?
I'd even be happy for the value of a try to be increased to 5 if the try doesn't involve any element of a bomb!

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
The NRL should be encouraging teams to score more tries.Golden point is a farce at the moment because teams mainly concentrate on field goals for victory in a 10 minute period,imagine this over 80 minutes?
I'd even be happy for the value of a try to be increased to 5 if the try doesn't involve any element of a bomb!

I despise the bomb, I say reduce the value for a try scored off a bomb, it's a lottery..never happen though

A Stray Alien

Juniors
Some clubs score more tries of kicks then others but every club has scored of a kick at some stage in a game id like to see as well a reduction of the value of try points to two and if score from a kick there is no conversion attempt or keep it at four points with no conversion

magpie guy

Juniors
How in the hell are you meant to adjudicate whether it was a bomb or not? Is a chip and chase a bomb, or a try off a kick? What about chipping it across field or just putting it up in the middle? What if it comes off the posts after a field goal? What if the winger runs down the sideline after a break then kicks infield for support? Which one is worth more than the other?

The other question is whether you think Nofaulofa's try here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmtKj_tagwg

is the same effort, toughness and spectacle of a simple dive over from dummy-half? And are they worth the same points?

Latest posts