What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More home games moved to ANZ stadium in 2009?

Parra

Referee
Views from the southern terrace at Parra Stadium are fine.

Alround, it is the best footy stadium in Sydney to watch the footy from and that is what counts - not the pies, or any other frivolities.

Admittedly, it was better back in the days when you could stand in the bar, right on halfway, and watch 3-4 matches in a row. But those days are long gone.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
forward pass said:
I think we all need to face the fact that Parra Stadium, whilst once the best stadium in the comp, is really nothing special now in terms of facilities. The Trust completely and utterly screwed up Parra Stadium - and now they are paying the price.

The sightlines at Parra are terrible and Homebush has much better facilities.

I would be happy with half at Parra - half at Homebush!

Well in terms of viewing, I think Parramatta Stadium is one of the best stadiums in Sydney, if not the best in the League.

2 or 3 games is bad enough, but 5??

C'mon, might as well call ourselves the Homebush Eels, since we'll probably lose more games to ANZ. I know its all about the $$$, but I just cant cop watching too many games at ANZ, and calling it a Parramatta home game.

I love watching Parramatta at Parramatta Stadium, hearing the "Parra Parra" chant, in front 15-20k, and beating the opposition, whether it'll be against Manly, Bulldogs, Roosters or Wests Tigers.

ANZ Stadium, just not the same, too big, sh*t viewing, still plenty of empty seats, and a sh*t fight to get out of the stadium.

Hopefully in the future the only games that are played at ANZ are double headers, test matches, SOO and the GF.

strider

Post Whore
Let me just say that that sh*thole at campbelltown is total crap! - the only time i've been there was the PL semi last year - I simply CANNOT believe the complete and utter lack of leg room between the seats - DEADSET! - i thought parra stadium was a bit cramped - but campbeltown - OMG! - you have to chuck a spread just to fit!

I actually think parra stadium behind the goals is as good as anywhere - except for those stupid advertising billboards

Tyler Durden

Juniors
thank christ you lot wern't around about 30 years ago
we would have never burned down cumberland oval to build parra stadium.

Parra

Referee
that is why clubs have to be bribed to play games there.

Where does the money come from?

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Parra said:
false analogy

parra stadium is a footy stadium

ANZ is not

really ?
lets just pretend we had this wonderful thingy called the internet and this forum around 1978...pick your whinge...

we must keep cumberland oval. it's a lovely surburban ground, full of our tradition and our history. all those memories of ken thornett, brian hambly, ron lynch. those great games against newtown and western suburbs and balmain. mick cronin toe-poking leather footys off mounds of sand.

cumberland oval is parramatta. we don't need to rip it down and build this new fandangled big monstrosity called the parramatta stadium. it's way too big. it will look so empty unless we can get at least 15,000 people there to watch the game. all the extra traffic around parramatta due to this new stadium is a joke. and we will lose our spot on the hill where we could stand with our mates and drink beer and watch the footy like it was meant to be watched. sit in the grandstand and you will be so far up in the sky and away from all the action. you will have to buy a numbered seat, so you have to sit in one spot all day, away from all your mates. ridiculous.

and what about those ugly light towers that are going to be built around the ground. what a complete waste. we play footy on sunday arvo. anybody would think that we are planning to play most of our games at night.

so where will we play when we are building this stupid parra stadium ? belmore ? are you kidding? move in and share a ground with the canterbury bulldogs ? i don't think so. we will never win a premiership if we give up our home ground advantage.

no. cumberland oval is our home for all these years and it has served us very well. shove parra stadium up the arse where it came from because we don't want it.

we don't like progress so we must stay as we are and not move with the times.

Parra

Referee
Straw man argument. I could make one up and knock it down as well - but it would also have nothing to do with moving the team to Homebush.

Swallow all the hype you want - the Olympic Stadium is a white elephant that is being propped up in desperation. It is not progress to move footy games there at all.

Okay, so really I have had enough of this bullsh*t that the Olympic Stadium is a White Elephant.

The Stadium is Legitimately Making Money and is then Paying Clubs to make more Money. I have gone through it before but some of you seem to have Missed it. But SOPA make enough on a game of 20,000 person game at Homebush to pay the Side to play there.

That's it, end of discussion. The Venue makes money and distributes it to the Talent that helps the Venue Make money.

A White elephant is something that costs money to keep it going and loses money because it can never be used.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parra said:
Straw man argument. I could make one up and knock it down as well - but it would also have nothing to do with moving the team to Homebush.

Swallow all the hype you want - the Olympic Stadium is a white elephant that is being propped up in desperation. It is not progress to move footy games there at all.

it won't be regarded as progress if we're going broke due to the incompetancy and stubbournous of the Stadium Trust.

btw, this white elephant will be used nearly 50 times this year including 2 State of Origins, an NRL grand final, a bledisloe cup and 2 sold out concerts by Andre Rieu..

white elephant huh?

fish eel

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:
really ?
lets just pretend we had this wonderful thingy called the internet and this forum around 1978...pick your whinge...

we must keep cumberland oval. it's a lovely surburban ground, full of our tradition and our history. all those memories of ken thornett, brian hambly, ron lynch. those great games against newtown and western suburbs and balmain. mick cronin toe-poking leather footys off mounds of sand.

cumberland oval is parramatta. we don't need to rip it down and build this new fandangled big monstrosity called the parramatta stadium. it's way too big. it will look so empty unless we can get at least 15,000 people there to watch the game. all the extra traffic around parramatta due to this new stadium is a joke. and we will lose our spot on the hill where we could stand with our mates and drink beer and watch the footy like it was meant to be watched. sit in the grandstand and you will be so far up in the sky and away from all the action. you will have to buy a numbered seat, so you have to sit in one spot all day, away from all your mates. ridiculous.

and what about those ugly light towers that are going to be built around the ground. what a complete waste. we play footy on sunday arvo. anybody would think that we are planning to play most of our games at night.

so where will we play when we are building this stupid parra stadium ? belmore ? are you kidding? move in and share a ground with the canterbury bulldogs ? i don't think so. we will never win a premiership if we give up our home ground advantage.

no. cumberland oval is our home for all these years and it has served us very well. shove parra stadium up the arse where it came from because we don't want it.

we don't like progress so we must stay as we are and not move with the times.

It's a completely different sceanrio Tyler. Putting aside the arguments for and against going to Homesbush, the change from Cumberland oval to Parramatta Stadium, whilst a few years where spent at Belmore, wasn't a relocation - it was s stadium upgrade with the team in 1986 having a new stadium, in Parramatta for Parramatta,

The Homebush scenario would see Parramatta playing outside of Parramatta....

Parra

Referee
Stagger eel said:
it won't be regarded as progress if we're going broke due to the incompetancy and stubbournous of the Stadium Trust.

btw, this white elephant will be used nearly 50 times this year including 2 State of Origins, an NRL grand final, a bledisloe cup and 2 sold out concerts by Andre Rieu..

white elephant huh?

subsidised events - a defining characteristic white elephants.

Look, I have no doubt that demand exists for events that will get 60k + crowds - Origin, GF, rugby tests in the right year and soccer in the right year.

This does not justify moving club games when Parramatta has a perfectly functioning stadium in Parramatta, right next to the club.

Wests & Canterbury didn't really have a viable choice, but Parra does.

The 'offers too good to refuse' regardless of crowd numbers would not be necessary if the place was as great as the spruikers claim.

Parra said:
subsidised events - a defining characteristic white elephants.

Look, I have no doubt that demand exists for events that will get 60k + crowds - Origin, GF, rugby tests in the right year and soccer in the right year.

This does not justify moving club games when Parramatta has a perfectly functioning stadium in Parramatta, right next to the club.

Wests & Canterbury didn't really have a viable choice, but Parra does.

The 'offers too good to refuse' regardless of crowd numbers would not be necessary if the place was as great as the spruikers claim.

So if Any Venue in Australia Pays for Any Talent to use its Venue. It is a White Elephant? I am sorry I think that is a Very lame use of the Term, as comparison to a Real White Elephant which is an Honour to Receive, but you can't work it and it costs more money to keep around.

Parramatta Stadium is functional yes, but is it appropriate any more? For almost 2 years I have heard cry from these very forums when we send out a Close to Sold out notice. People say well that kills the walk up crowd. That People won't come now because it is close to sold out. We have the potential at many games to have over 20,000 fans. yet we can't fit them and all our sponsors in Better yet have room for our current sponsors. So they way I see it there are two ways to fix that.

1) Hike up the Ticket Prices for Big Games.

2) Move to a Stadium where more people can attend.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
So if Any Venue in Australia Pays for Any Talent to use its Venue. It is a White Elephant? I am sorry I think that is a Very lame use of the Term, as comparison to a Real White Elephant which is an Honour to Receive, but you can't work it and it costs more money to keep around.

Parramatta Stadium is functional yes, but is it appropriate any more? For almost 2 years I have heard cry from these very forums when we send out a Close to Sold out notice. People say well that kills the walk up crowd. That People won't come now because it is close to sold out. We have the potential at many games to have over 20,000 fans. yet we can't fit them and all our sponsors in Better yet have room for our current sponsors. So they way I see it there are two ways to fix that.

1) Hike up the Ticket Prices for Big Games.

2) Move to a Stadium where more people can attend.

3) Hammer the state to make good their promise - which would both increase our capacity and ability to cater for our corporates.

Parra

Referee
From leaguehq today (smh)

Clubs bank on success at ANZ Stadium but fans remain short-changed

March 12, 2008

NRL clubs will play their money-spinning matches at Homebush Bay, but bigger is not always better, writes Andrew Stevenson.

Instead of leaving the season's draw to the hands of fate, the NRL has broken the mould this year in an effort to manufacture more of the games we like and less of the ones we don't need.

A complete subservience to equity was abandoned in favour of bums on seats (and couches), with clubs asked to nominate the match-ups that suited. Not surprisingly, the match-ups that suit clubs are the same ones that suit fans: more fans means more money.

The hand-of-god approach ensured Souths play the Roosters twice this year. Appropriately, in the centenary year, the foundation clubs have been accorded the honour of continuing league's most enduring stink and kicking off the season.

But the NRL's capacity for intervention goes only so far. The two clubs, tenants in common to Sydney's eastern suburbs, have rubbed shoulders unhappily for 100 years, as have their fans. So where are they playing? At the purpose-built 40,000-seat stadium that sits pretty much on the dividing line of their respective patches of turf?

No way. Instead, every fan from Sydney's east eager to claim their place at the edge of the stage when the Roosters attempt to turn Craig Wing into a plucked chicken has to hoof it out to Homebush Bay to a stadium built for the Olympics and better suited to Australian football or cricket.

Whatever crowd the game manages to draw, we can already say two things about it with certainty. It won't fill the stadium, not by a long shot, and it will be smaller than the crowd the game would have drawn to the Sydney Football Stadium.

The NRL's preparedness to intervene in the draw this year to ensure more local derbies, to guarantee the three Queensland teams play each other twice, should serve - along with the centenary bells and whistles - to boost crowd averages this season. It's modelled on the AFL's approach but only so far. Whereas the AFL employs a "best fit" policy to maximise crowd numbers by directing where games should be played, the NRL will remain silent on this issue.

"We are happy for clubs to play their games at venues where they think they are going to be most successful and most profitable," explained Graham Annesley, the NRL's chief operating officer.

In other words, whereas the AFL plays big brother, the NRL stays mum. The issue is complicated by the fact that profitability for clubs means more than just bums on seats. It's what those bums are wearing that counts. The ANZ Stadium, Homebush Bay, offers a host of corporate suites and revenue guarantees allowing club's to maximise their earn, even if total crowd numbers might be lower. The stadium will host the lion's share of NRL games in Sydney this year, with 34 club games, two Origins and finals matches, including the grand final already booked in.

But it will be full for only - and then only possibly - three of those games. At other times the sound of a spectator coughing on a cold night will echo around the empty stands. And, unlike the SFS, where the crowd sits close enough to get sprayed with sweat, and occasionally other bodily fluids, ANZ Stadium always feels as though a running track remains between spectator and player.

Annesley defends it. "It does come in at the side so it can be turned into a rectangular playing field and, although it's a multi-purpose venue, it's the largest capacity venue in this state and Queensland."

But a big ground is not a great ground for league. The SCG was the code's spiritual home but it's a shocking place to watch any football, except of the southern variety. Could it be that one reason why league has never dominated the psyche of the city in the way Australian Rules rules does in Melbourne is that Sydney didn't get its first decent stadium to watch it until 1986? Parramatta Stadium brought the crowd and action together, a trend continued by the SFS in 1988. Whereas the old stadia were shared by two codes (league and cricket) that didn't fit well together, the new ones work perfectly for league, rugby and soccer.

The AFL has its sights on Sydney's west - open the door to ANZ and let them try and fill it with a second Sydney side. The A-League, too, will have to find space for a second side from the nation's biggest city. A western Sydney Super 14 team is also inevitable. Surely it's time for the three codes to sit down and talk and get lobbying, together, for what the city's sporting fans need: a 35,000-seat rectangular stadium in the city's west.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/banking-on-anz-stadium/2008/03/11/1205125911684.html

Game 1 is a Souths Home game. If it was a Roosters home game would this still have been written?

Also something most don't know, at Club games, the Capacity opened at ANZ if 40,000 of the Lower Bowl.

35,000 is a little Small don't you think. Suncorp is 50,000. But is it not just throwing money at a Massively apathetic part of Sydney? That being Sydney Sports fans who seem to let down the Rest of Country when it come to attendance of any event.

Victorians will line up 15 Deep for the Pumping up a Football on Grand Final week. Sydney can't even Russell up a grand Final Parade.

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Game 1 is a Souths Home game. If it was a Roosters home game would this still have been written?

Also something most don't know, at Club games, the Capacity opened at ANZ if 40,000 of the Lower Bowl.

35,000 is a little Small don't you think. Suncorp is 50,000. But is it not just throwing money at a Massively apathetic part of Sydney? That being Sydney Sports fans who seem to let down the Rest of Country when it come to attendance of any event.

Victorians will line up 15 Deep for the Pumping up a Football on Grand Final week. Sydney can't even Russell up a grand Final Parade.

I would have thought 35,000 almost ideal.

Great, boutique stadium size.

Incidently, I believe at 35,000, thats about the same size, maybe more, of the new rectangular stadium being built for essentially melbourne victory?

If you wanted to you could Upgrade Parramatta Stadium to be a 30,000 Seat Venue. But Then again we are relying on the State Government to do that, and what is there return?

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
If you wanted to you could Upgrade Parramatta Stadium to be a 30,000 Seat Venue. But Then again we are relying on the State Government to do that, and what is there return?

The state's return?

Electoral. Given they made a promise to pump money into last year.

I wonder if any of that money will be in the budget?