What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Sydney clubs will merge within the next decade - Gould

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why the West’s Tigers.? Kingswood is Panthers and Roosters territory!

Its be great market research to do to see how many people in a clubs region support that club or another. Be a good piece of evidence to have in considering shared stadiums and their locations. There's always students looking for research projects at Uni.

unforgiven

Bench
Why the West’s Tigers.? Kingswood is Panthers and Roosters territory!
I didn't grow up here, moved here for uni in 1997. Most people forget that Kingswood Sports club is owned by the Roosters lol. I used that in an argument on here once with a Panthers supporter complaining that their taxes are paying for the new SFS for the Roosters. I told them it was ok as the Roosters rates pay for the upkeep of Penrith Park lol. They didn't know what I was talking about.

Smithtown

Coach
On another slant, away from the geographical zones & club culture issues when thinking about mergers, what about team colours & jersey designs?

We're kinda lucky that the Tigers (black, white, orange) and Dragons (red and white) had pretty compatible palettes.. but could you imagine trying to squeeze some of the other clubs together on one jersey?

The Northern Eagles maroon, red, black and white was a bit of a mess to be honest.

Agreed, however if there had of been some concessions, and both the red and the white were dropped, then a very nice jersey could have been designed with a maroon and black palette, with white numbering and sponsorship.

MugaB

Coach
Agreed, however if there had of been some concessions, and both the red and the white were dropped, then a very nice jersey could have been designed with a maroon and black palette, with white numbering and sponsorship.
without including the current mergers.
Maroon, Navy, white for Easts sydney sea eagles.
Blue gold and white for Parramatta bulldogs.
Aqua, red, black and white for South sydney sharks.
It could work but ruins alot of clubs heritage and it would suck as a fan of any of those clubs to be merged when any of them are mainly viable on their own, Sydney is the heartland of the competition, any further mergers could only be if both teams involved are in financial strife enough to them to both agree to it..... i don't see that happening

peter file

Juniors
I lost most of my passion for the game when the Magpies merged with the Tigers. I was a Magpies fan but absolutely hated Balmain. The Wests Tigers do not interest me at all. Nowadays I am just a casual observer with no real team to follow (although being from Newcastle I do take a passing interest in the Knights).

siv

First Grade
No Sydney club will die

NRL grants mean all clubs can survive

But takeaway the NRL grants and you get the Bears 1999 situation for almost every club

If a club doesn't get it's LC grant then they will go private, cut costs or you would see Blacktown or Mounties takeover

GongPanther

Referee
There is no way that Penrith and Parramatta could ever merge. Not possible in any way.
Penrith and Parra will always remain stand alone clubs. Both clubs are too big and wealthy to suffer any setback. IMO, they are the safest clubs in Sydney.

GongPanther

Referee
Its be great market research to do to see how many people in a clubs region support that club or another. Be a good piece of evidence to have in considering shared stadiums and their locations. There's always students looking for research projects at Uni.
Tons of people over the past 30 years have sold up and relocated to the Golden West from inner Sydney. I.E. Campbelltown, Parra, and Penrith districts. So there is a huge swath of supporters of different teams scattered around those areas. Eventually you'll have the kids and/or grand kids of those families that will support those three clubs.

unforgiven

Bench
Tons of people over the past 30 years have sold up and relocated to the Golden West from inner Sydney. I.E. Campbelltown, Parra, and Penrith districts. So there is a huge swath of supporters of different teams scattered around those areas. Eventually you'll have the kids and/or grand kids of those families that will support those three clubs.
There are many more supporters of other teams in Penrith than Panthers supporters. Penrith would be the most popular team, but most Rugby League supporters in Penrith support someone else.

Fangs

Coach
Don't see a need for mergers, booting teams will be a far better option.

Western Sydney Panthers would be ideal. If we can find away to remove Parramatta from the competition. God knows they've disgraced our great game enough.

Cronulla should be booted too. No brainer really. Why merge when they can just follow the Dragons? Their fans won't mind.

Manly will stay alive through a lucrative contract with Crazy John and 3 Mobile. The 3 Mobile Crazy John Sea Eagles.

That should do the job.

MugaB

Coach
There are many more supporters of other teams in Penrith than Panthers supporters. Penrith would be the most popular team, but most Rugby League supporters in Penrith support someone else.
Agreed but there are a lot of country folk way past penrith who follow league also, and parra, penrith, wests all get that support, even dragons, so its not only those who live in said area, i live in north parra, but am a panthers supporter for over 30 years now, not all supporters live within catchment of that clubs region, people move every which way, plus generational support make a difference too, i have heaps of Canterbury friends that live in Newcastle, mostly coz their parents were fans, and they carried on

MugaB

Coach
Don't see a need for mergers, booting teams will be a far better option.

Western Sydney Panthers would be ideal. If we can find away to remove Parramatta from the competition. God knows they've disgraced our great game enough.

Cronulla should be booted too. No brainer really. Why merge when they can just follow the Dragons? Their fans won't mind.

Manly will stay alive through a lucrative contract with Crazy John and 3 Mobile. The 3 Mobile Crazy John Sea Eagles.

That should do the job.
I agree with your parra ideology, but manly and cronulla are worthy for mine, worthy moreso than that vile scum of the politis eastern city ford rorters, they offer nothing to the league, except flaunting their cash and dangling brown paper bags to the collective mercenaries of the league, im sure these cheats will be found out, im sure Tedesco has 2 yachts, and cronk got a matching diamond ring for his mrs (ala cameron smith), courtesy of uncle nick.
Every week he has had a whinge about something now its the one ref, before it was the length of the comp, then before it was reseting first 2 round of the comp, and then before that it was justifing the Rooters GF win by way of the refs addmission that the "Roosters were dudded" FK ME..... what a prk

unforgiven

Bench
Agreed but there are a lot of country folk way past penrith who follow league also, and parra, penrith, wests all get that support, even dragons, so its not only those who live in said area, i live in north parra, but am a panthers supporter for over 30 years now, not all supporters live within catchment of that clubs region, people move every which way, plus generational support make a difference too, i have heaps of Canterbury friends that live in Newcastle, mostly coz their parents were fans, and they carried on

That was pretty much my point mate

siv

First Grade
I don't see any need for mergers

At worst we should see 2 teams relocated to Adelaide(eg Easts) and Perth(eg Wests)

Then you get Brisbane 2(Redcliffe) and CC Bears for 18 clubs

With Brisbane 3(Ipswich) and NZ 2(Wellington/Christchurch) if we expand further

mongoose

Coach
CC should be a relocation as well - Manly, Sharks, Rabbitohs (edit: not dragons who should move to Woolongong FT)