What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Whispers: Saint's Chase Rangi (Part II)

Godz Illa

Coach
I think Rangi is good, but after signing Widdop I don't think he's the right fit for us. For the balance of our team we need an organiser with a strong kicking game. Rangi is neither, imo. If he signs it puts more responsibility/pressure on the hooker. Which will then mean Cameron King starting is a necessity because Rein has zero kicking game.

watatank

Coach
Rangi is a decent short term option IMO...his value is that he can help us this year plus be a stopgap for our younger halves like KStanley or Crook. As a long term signing we're better off going for someone else. Will be interesting to see what happens anyway.

Saint Anger

Juniors
Rangi will be good but let's not over-hype the situation.

He is a decent halfback and is currently lightyears ahead of what we have at the moment.

Stay Calm And Support The Dragons

st.phil

Bench
I think Rangi is good, but after signing Widdop I don't think he's the right fit for us. For the balance of our team we need an organiser with a strong kicking game. Rangi is neither, imo. If he signs it puts more responsibility/pressure on the hooker. Which will then mean Cameron King starting is a necessity because Rein has zero kicking game.

I thought that as well...but after watching a bit more of Rangi in ESL he definitely has a long kicking game to accompany his attacking kicking game - even when he was at saints was one of his stringer suits. He really is a dominant player in the style of Thursten or Marshall - not saying he is as good but in that mould. I get the feeling Widdop will be stepping up into a leadership role and taking a lot of control on the field...maybe he has a kicking game kept under raps due to cronk and smith?

BennyV

Referee
I thought that as well...but after watching a bit more of Rangi in ESL he definitely has a long kicking game to accompany his attacking kicking game - even when he was at saints was one of his stringer suits. He really is a dominant player in the style of Thursten or Marshall - not saying he is as good but in that mould. I get the feeling Widdop will be stepping up into a leadership role and taking a lot of control on the field...maybe he has a kicking game kept under raps due to cronk and smith?

Im pretty sure Widdop does have a decent long kicking game, but when you have Cronk in your team, why bother?! Between Rangi, Widdop and King, we should have long kicking covered.

I actually think Chase and Widdop would be a good combo - Rangi is a play-maker, he creates gaps and choose the runner to go through them. Widdop is more of a runner (similar to K.Stanley) whereas he hits holes and flies through them, as well as having a decent pass on him. Im sure between the two of them and the hooker, some form of organisation can come around.

W.Smith

Juniors
watched Rangi Chase last night on Eurosport for Castleford v Salford, pretty ordinary game but Chase was really good, busy all day and in everything, had a hand in nearly every try and looked good

whats the holdup with him coming to STGI ? i thought it was wrapped up and he was as good as coming

nrlnrl

First Grade
watched Rangi Chase last night on Eurosport for Castleford v Salford, pretty ordinary game but Chase was really good, busy all day and in everything, had a hand in nearly every try and looked good

whats the holdup with him coming to STGI ? i thought it was wrapped up and he was as good as coming

hold up is clubs need to agree on a transfer fee, no idea of the status of that

also there's allegations of money still owed to a previous manager of his

hardbaby

Coach
Sign the bastard and we are a chance for the 8. Next year is next year. We need to focus on this year and he is the one guy out there that can make an enormous difference to this team and he can do so immediately. Wasting time debating over $50 000 is stupid. He'd pull that through the gate in three home games.

Minh

First Grade
Rangi would make us competitve. Rangi and Dugan if he decides to play would make us a genuine top 8 contender for this year.

dragonv

Juniors
Sign the bastard and we are a chance for the 8. Next year is next year. We need to focus on this year and he is the one guy out there that can make an enormous difference to this team and he can do so immediately.

What annoys me is that we were focusing on this year last year, at least on this forum we were, I don't know what Price and Doust were focusing on...

No urgency from our club, that is clear and that is hallmark of a weak, stubborn club.

TheRev

First Grade
What annoys me is that we were focusing on this year last year, at least on this forum we were, I don't know what Price and Doust were focusing on...

No urgency from our club, that is clear and that is hallmark of a weak, stubborn club.
+1,

+2 if they began planning in 2011.

nrlnrl

First Grade

It looks to be out of the club's hands if allegations of him owing money to a previous manager are true. If that's the case, he can't sign another contract until that's resolved.

mickeylane

Bench
Word is that Widdup and Chase have a history from the UK and do not get on and may be the fact why the deal is taking so long to happen...u have to take tis speculation on board hence why the Dragons are even considering Sam Williams still!

bottle

Coach
You'd think people would eventually catch on that there is already a thread on Rangi.
'Word'.

Williams being dumped back to the NSW Cup has basically cut his asking price down imo and honestly if the Dragons said listen here is a 3 year deal you go the starting gig along side Widdop I sure as hell would take it gladly.

They have Cornish and Milford coming through and time is running out regardless if they say he's in their long term plans Widdop was at the Storm and the Dragons convinced him to move.

Rangi Chase isn't that flash sure he looks good in the ESL but the standard is different and if the club has learned anything ie Willie Peters look in your own back yard first before looking over seas.

st.phil

Bench
I have seen a lot more from Rangi than I have from Williams. He looks ok...solid half. Either would be an improvement on Fein but I'd love to see Rangi back

BennyV

Referee
Dugan age 22...Widdop age 24...King age 21...

I think I'd prefer Chase in there over Williams, having a spine with an average age of 22 is still a spine of kids, despite the number of games under their belts. An older and more experienced head in Rangi will help...then by the time he moves on and Crook or DW come in, Widdop will be that older/more experienced head...

willzy91

Juniors
Dugan age 22...Widdop age 24...King age 21...

I think I'd prefer Chase in there over Williams, having a spine with an average age of 22 is still a spine of kids, despite the number of games under their belts. An older and more experienced head in Rangi will help...then by the time he moves on and Crook or DW come in, Widdop will be that older/more experienced head...

definitely agree!!

Steelman

Juniors
Just got some information as to why rangis contract negotiations have stalled. It is due to the fact that he has an assault charge pending thus making it difficult for him to leave the country at the moment. This info coming from someone who is involved with current player negotiations.