What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morgan now wants Vella

Gronk

Staff member
Hooker Gorrell says au revoir to St George Illawarra but he'll still be a Dragon

Brad Walter
October 12, 2006

ST GEORGE Illawarra hooker Aaron Gorrell has rejected an offer from Cronulla to sign with French club Les Catalans Dragons and he may be joined in Super League next season by Parramatta prop Michael Vella.
Gorrell, who played 26 games this season but did not have a contract, has agreed to terms for a three-year deal with Les Catalans, coached by former St George Illawarra assistant Mick Potter.
The Perpignan-based club, which finished last in its first season in Super League but is safeguarded from relegation until 2009, has also recruited Dragons fullback Clint Greenshields, Canberra representative duo Adam Mogg and Jason Croker and Brisbane's former Queensland Origin utility Casey McGuire to bolster a side headed by Stacey Jones.
"In the end, Aaron had a number of options but he has decided to go to France," said Gorrell's agent, David Riolo. "It's a fresh start for him."
Signed to an incentive-based contract last off-season, Gorrell was one of the leading tacklers in the NRL this year, scored six tries and kicked 56 goals, including a sideline conversion after full-time to snatch a win over the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.
But the 25-year-old Albion Park junior was not offered a full-time contract after the Dragons signed veteran Canberra hooker Simon Woolford and had few other clubs interested in him - until the Sharks weighed in with a late offer following Ricky Stuart's appointment as coach last month.
Meanwhile, Vella is understood to feature on a hit list of up to 16 possible recruits drawn up by newly promoted Super League club Hull Kingston Rovers. Rovers coach Justin Morgan and captain James Webster were teammates at Parramatta with the Australian international, who has a year remaining on his contract.
Hull KR chief executive Paul Lakin confirmed a report in yesterday's Herald that they were interested in another Eels prop, Fuifui Moimoi, along with former Wests Tigers captain Mark O'Neill and ex-Sharks utility Ryan McGoldrick.
"The players mentioned are on a list of about 16 that Justin has inquired about," Lakin told British newspaper The Independent.
O'Neill, who played for Leeds this season, is Rovers' first new signing after agreeing to a one-year deal but another player linked to the club, New Zealand back-rower Awen Guttenbeil, is believed to be headed to Wests Tigers. In other contract news, the Bulldogs have re-signed back-rower Nick Kouparitsas for a further two years.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/h...ill-be-a-dragon/2006/10/11/1160246196702.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
that's ok..tomorrow it'll be Nathan Cayless next day Josh Cordoba...and early next week both Aaron Cannings and Junior Paolo will be linked to HKR

strider

Post Whore
i know nothing - but i wouldn't be surprised if mickyv went if they offered him some substantial $$$s .... he's not getting any younger and it'd be hard to knock back that opportunity - and i reckon he could maybe be considered expendable by the club

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
i know nothing - but i wouldn't be surprised if mickyv went if they offered him some substantial $$$s .... he's not getting any younger and it'd be hard to knock back that opportunity - and i reckon he could maybe be considered expendable by the club

he would mre than likely be the one to go than Fui...I really hope we keep him though as our our frontrow stocks are little thinner waht they were this year.

Gronk

Staff member
Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Tranny have a ESL deal on the table just before his thyroid cancer op and the club were prepared to let him out of his contract ????

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt Tranny have a ESL deal on the table just before his thyroid cancer op and the club were prepared to let him out of his contract ????

no idea...however he did sign a new 2 year deal a few months after that.

The Colonel

Immortal
Unless we are looking to fast track Tim Mannah and Justin Wood into the first grade squad, losing Vella would be a bad move. We struggled without props this year - replacing them with kids won't help the cause.

That said losing Vella before Moimoi wouldn't be such a bad option.

<UptheEels> said:
Iam suprised we kept wags and vella last time around.

Not totally. Exp[erience wise they have been good for us, particularly Wagon.

Utey

Coach
The Colonel said:
Not totally. Exp[erience wise they have been good for us, particularly Wagon.

Not saying it was a bad move, I wanted them to stay but I was suprised given the situation we were in last season.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Freak2 said:
Vellas not going anywhere!
Another slow news day

given that our depth has been thinned out somewhat i wouldn't imagine that anyone from our club would be leaving this late in the year..

Morgs obviously has a wishlist that contains several player still under contract...he'd have to be naive to think that we'd bow to his wishes and release a player at his beck and call.

so..yeah.... slow news day obviously.

cardinal

Juniors
Cayless, Fui, Cannings, Tsoulos, Cordoba will all be in front of Vella in my opinion and I think Robbo and Ian Hindmarsh will play some prop next year. I was also impressed with Oak in prem GF. If I was Mick I'd take the money while it is on offer.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
cardinal said:
Cayless, Fui, Cannings, Tsoulos, Cordoba will all be in front of Vella in my opinion and I think Robbo and Ian Hindmarsh will play some prop next year. I was also impressed with Oak in prem GF. If I was Mick I'd take the money while it is on offer.

Problem is, what happens if Cannings and Zorba go down injured and Fui gets suspended *touch wood* for a long period of time. Vella would shoot up the list, cause after him there isnt much else with real NRL prop experience.

Parra Guru

Coach
You wouldn't know it was SL GF week in Hull.

All the Hull news has been about the Rovers (aka Robins) and their SL promotion and player wishlist.

Hull FC are playing St Helens in the ESL GF this weekend and today's the first time they've made the back page of the local rag!

Latest posts