What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most hospitalised sport?

lazza

Juniors
3 players taken to hospital that I counted on the weekend, so many players having season ending injuries, a webpage called casualty ward on the nrl website... is it better to simply rest your stars for the first half of the season?

Are there more players hospitalised in nrl than any other sport including ufc and boxing? Feels like it lately... roosters squad starting to resemble under 20s.

I don't recall this many injuries during the 80s/90s or is it just that I'm noticing it more cos I'm playing fantasy footy now?

blaza88z

Coach
3 players taken to hospital that I counted on the weekend, so many players having season ending injuries, a webpage called casualty ward on the nrl website... is it better to simply rest your stars for the first half of the season?

Are there more players hospitalised in nrl than any other sport including ufc and boxing? Feels like it lately... roosters squad starting to resemble under 20s.

I don't recall this many injuries during the 80s/90s or is it just that I'm noticing it more cos I'm playing fantasy footy now?

Ice Hockey would be up there, they even let blokes punch on provided it's 1 on 1

lazza

Juniors
Unless you slice someone open with your blade, still don't think 1v1 punch up will necessarily lead to a hospitalisation.

I think NRL would now have to be up there with being the most hospitalised sport on the planet.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Another ACL - Pat Carrigan.

Anyone work out whether there's been an increase since 6 again? I think there is but happy for someone to disprove.

hrundi99

First Grade
As a hockey fan I can tell you the major issues are concussions, knee injuries, groin injuries, wrist injuries and very rarely blade cuts.

There aren't typically a lot of hospitalisations, well considering there are 31 teams with 19 or 20 players each playing (usually) an 82 game season plus (up to) a 4 round best of 7 games playoff series.

Fighting doesn't tend to cause major injuries - more cuts and bruising.

Might surprise many but I'm sure Netball is a contender.... Knees & Ankles.... My missus' two daughters play on a local comp and I see at least 1-2 girls a week at the facility getting carted off in a wheelchair. But whether they go to hospital or not...

Others I'd speculate..

Skiing / Snowboarding
Bike sports - eg Motorcross / BMX / Cycling / Mountainbiking etc..
Skateboarding
Cricket - broken fingers especially, been there myself..

Yes a lot of these are "pastimes" but they are also sports..

Willie Ray

Bench
Most deaths is boxing. 1 per month.

Hospital dunno, maybe bull riding
just beat me to it...
PBR would have to be up there for sure...this is JB Mauney
in 2017,he's had several more serious injuries since then
and is still competing now.the greatest ever.
jb.jpg

shear_joy9

Coach
In the age of legal entanglements its amazing they allow punching

99% of hockey fights are just two blokes hugging until one of them slips over. It's not much different to the hand bags fights you see in league. But I agree though, I'd be betting fighting is heavily fined/penalised until its basically rubbed out of the sport.

Headless Chook

Juniors

Anyone work out whether there's been an increase since 6 again? I think there is but happy for someone to disprove.
That’s a fair point you raise but I think it’s too early to make anything meaningful out of it yet. The ACLs and other major injuries that occur with tackles are different to those that happen off the ball or in general play. B Moz’s looked like his occurred just as he was falling into touch. Radley’s one last year was similar in that no contact at all was made.

It may very well be the increase with the ball- in-play has played a part and given we are only a third of the way into the season it is definitely concerning,

TDD91

Juniors
As bizarre as it may sound, competitive Cheerleading is incredibly dangerous. When you're throwing people 16ft in the air and expecting someone else to catch them, things tend to go wrong a fair bit.

lazza

Juniors
I guess when you have a dedicated webpage called casualty ward, I'm more describing the volume of players sent to hospital vs the severity of injuries.

I don't think I recall a round where not a single player was injured. It's turning into a game of injury roulette now.

lazza

Juniors

Wow, feel like there is an ACL per week.

Actually I just counted 9 players with season ending knee injuries - assuming they're acls. Roosters doing their best to contribute to the average

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
As bizarre as it may sound, competitive Cheerleading is incredibly dangerous. When you're throwing people 16ft in the air and expecting someone else to catch them, things tend to go wrong a fair bit.
Yeah. It's brutal. My Daughter was a flyer in a competitive cheer team. It was fantastic to watch, but also terrifying. Most competitions generally involved an ambulance or three. I was relieved when she decided to give it away & play oz tag.

franklin2323

Immortal

Didn't someone do there's at training? There has been a few major ones not even in the game

Latest posts