What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most Negative Supporters in the NRL

OurRedV

Juniors
It's plain to see that we are the most negative group of supporters in Rugby League.

29 Years of heartache isn't helping the cause, but enough is enough.

We really have to start getting behind our team even through these bad times, otherwise all of the angst and stress will hang over us when the good times begin.

I dunno about everyone else on here, but to me - even though it is only Round 5 this week ... it feels like it's round 25. Put it down to feeling like a continuation of 2007, I just don't know, but I'm really sick of it.

We're a proud club built on success and little failure, which makes us a real bunch of proud supporters so lets start acting proud. We've signed Wayne Bennett for christ sake! We've got the best centre in the world. Haven't won the spoon in donkeys years. I'll put my hand up and admit I've been one of the most negative people on the hill for some time now and it's time for me to turn the page. I'm not apologising, just realising that this year is going to go slower if we stay negative.

Fire up Saints.

Cooper-Man

Bench
Im up for that.

sh*t man I have been so negative to the club its a wonder the players never come up to us after a win and thank us for the support. Im going to stop the negativeness also.

Might make a banner to cheer Ryles up. Maybe something like "in Ryles we trust" or " Have faith Jase"

I know im wrong to hurl abuse to these guys.

Im staying positive from now on.:)

Bring back choc

Juniors
Im all for throwing our support behind the club (not that we haven't been)...BUT IT'S TIME THE PLAYERS REPAID US FOR F$#K SAKE. SERIOUSLY THEY ARE PLAYING WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PATIENCE, AND NO MENTAL TOUGHNESS. It's been really hard to watch.
They learnt how to win against the titans, and yet they decide they still need to off load the ball on the second tackle EVERY SINGLE TIME. When the players start to concentrate and repay the supporters who have to go to work each week only to face a barrage of stinging comments about how S$%T the dragons are.....well thats when you'll all see a bit of positivity. It's time to crack heads, not group hug.

But yes, fire up saints.

Cooper-Man

Bench
Totally agree with you BBC. It is stressfull.
But after the stuff bull said and the sh*t in todays paper about ryles and that fan. It just makes us look bad. Also you see other teams embrase their supporters after a tight win and you wonder why the saints players dont do the same.

But I do agree with you. I am very vocal at games and I hurl abuse to players etc probably more than anyone else. I just think, of its not sinking in, maybe a bit of positiveness will.

Abit like the Carrot and the stick technique.

Syren

Juniors
Quite right. The exact same thing is happening to Souths, Penrith and perhaps Raiders supporters this year. Although over the years none of them had a better player roster than we had, so I guess supporters are rightfully outraged with the on-field performances.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I agree with all of you...and i will always be positive....but again i just cannot find it within myself to offer any more excuses. There is NO excuse for what happened in Canberra, and there's NO excuse for losing against the sharks. We all have to realise that those 4 points we just let slip are SO CRUCIAL TO OUR CHANCES OF MAKING THE TOP 8 it's not even funny.
The next 2 months see us play the cowboys, dogs, Roosters, BYE, eels, storm, manly. That's not an easy run IMO. If we lose majority of those (and the way the team is aiming up, that's looking likely) then we will be yet again too far off the pace to recover. I know comps are not won this time of the year, But they sure as hell are LOST. The situation is dire and we need to act now. The coach has been sacked, and the players should have responsed with a HUGE performance. They didn't, and now we face a very lean year if they don't pull off string of wins. Don't take me posts as negative, they are not...i just reckon we need to be honest and look at the situation without the rose coloured glasses. There's players that need to be axed, there's positions that need to be changed. Overall, it's the attitude that stinks. Watching the other teams go around they seem to all have so much more enthusiasm, commitment and passion when they play.

Cooper-Man

Bench
guys I agree with all of you totally. We all do have different opinions. So I guess ill will make a change in attitude for myself. but I wont bag others for being abusive as I have been there in the past.

big pat

Coach
their is no right or wrongs pete, just people with their own opinion on things, but i would of thought that brown gone bennett in, that saints would have lifted, but we had the same things dropped ball, silly passes,dumb penalties, maybe brown just cant lift these guys, i am at a lost.

Mong

Post Whore
It's because of our passion that we get this way. Given the last decade to see the situation after 4 rounds and how it is unfolding can only lead to negativity.

It's ok to have some bad years but when the same old things happen year after year and seemingly nothing is done about it to change it you have to expect that the fans will react badly.

If we wern't so passionate we wouldn't care. I doubt many clubs fans are as passionate as your average Saints fan and as such we demand our club to aim up.

At the end of the scummers game, Myself, my Wife and my daughter all took our Saints jerseys off in disgust and threw them in the corner.. Something i think we will do many many more times this season.

big pat

Coach
but we will all be back next week cheering on, hoping the boys will get us a win that we need.

Ribs

Bench
I watched from home, threw a full beer and smashed it in the kitchen.

Moreso for Hamstead than anything but some of that handling was atrocious.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I love Saints and will never stop supporting them. I'll go to the games and watch the side perform for 80 minutes even if we lose and I have no issue.

What I don't like is the heap of a club we've become. We do not take pride in our jersey, we do not take pride in our history, we do not play with the heart of teams past and we continuously do not learn from our mistakes.

I will never stop supporting this side, but I am sick of not seeing any difference in the performance of a team I love to bits. When our club begins to make the positive changes required, I will return it with the positive faith I held as a kid and graciously support our side through thick and thin.

But for so long as our club and indeed some of our players do not try to even look like they care, then I feel no requirement to return that with a supportive and caring attitude.

After all, look at what we're faced with:

* Away from our spiritual home
* Lacklustre, passion-strapped performances
* No general improvement in the discipline or 'heart' from the side as a whole
* An administration that is focussed more on how to market its 'brand' than it is on truly addressing what the supporters want

This is enough to make the most stanch supporter struggle to come to a game and positively support their side. You can only take what we've had for so long before the disillusionment spills out. Considering we, as a supporters group, supported our team so positively for the 2004, 2005, 2006, I feel that whilst we should perhaps be more more patient considering we've only had 1 and a bit 'bad' years, we're justified in our displeasure when you look at the clubs performance and administration for the last 10.

As stated, I will continue to support any team called St George and has a big Red V in its jersey no matter how we go, but I do expect the club to have the decency to administer and play with the pride and responsibility that entails.

Cooper-Man

Bench
Im making a banner. I know Ryles hasnt been at his best for a while but i know when he is at his best he is awesome.

The banner will be

"RYLES - LEADER OF THE PACK"