What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overated players

JJ

Immortal
Rooster Cogburn. said:
JJ said:
you're an idiot cogburn. Like the Roosters wouldn't love to have Gowe instead of Finch (since we're talking overrated) and Clinton ahead of Catic or Cayless

If it isn't the All blacks expert! :lol:
Actually no. I'm very happy with Finch and he is improving all the time. As for Clinton, the bloke is a fat dud. Jason Cayless is twice as good as him. :D

Well, I know more about the All Blacks than you - but that is a different story.

Finch improving - what, he's no longer awful? He's progressed to what - just plain bad, or has he really got things moving and is now just ordinary?

He's halfback in my over-rated team, and vc to big Willie

JJ

Immortal
lmao - yeah yeah - well sorry, but Kurt Sherlock is one of the most forgettable individuals to play either code!!

Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Joel Clinton - He would make a good elvis impersonator though. :lol:
Craig Gower - He takes too many wrong options.

Clinton made "hound dogs" out of your forwards in the Grand Final! Not even Morley could stop him. The Roosters forwards couldn't handle him all year.

Clinton was bashed senseless in the round 20 match at Penrith Park. Remember what he said after the game? "Next time I'll keep my big mouth shut."

Unfortunately he seems incapable of doing just that.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mr Chook Cogburn,

I have to take issue with your comment on Craig Gower being clueless in the test match.

He was unfit, not clueless.

If he was clueless he would not have made the Kangaro team.

He really should not be there due to his fitness, but we are running out of options, due to the amount of injured players.

The only other option was to have Chicken Wing at 5/8 and Gower in the centres, but I think Wing is more versatile and as it turned out is it was a good decision to play Wing in the centres.

And by the way.............I think Gower is as good an Elvis impersonator as onyone else.

Rooster Cogburn. said:
Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

Clinton made "hound dogs" out of your forwards in the Grand Final! Not even Morley could stop him. The Roosters forwards couldn't handle him all year. Pity your front row pairing couldn't match it with "Elvis" Clinton.....and he doesn't need Sunsilk make his hair good either!!

Gee Whiz, Gower taking too many wrong options? On what basis? Why is then that the Panthers won so many games (including the Grand Final - in case you didn't know) this year? Why was he named Player of the Year? For what? Taking too many wrong options?

Cogburn, you've got nothing pal. Go and help yourself to piece of HUMBLE PIE!

Clinton's from the Chris Beattie school of fat lards and Gower is overrated. He was clueless in the 2nd test. He shouldn't be there. Maybe Gower should stick to flashing his weiner at teenage girls, that's seems to be his style! Let's wait and see where your team finishes at the end of next season. My feeling is that Penrith will fit right back into their normal position of mediocrity. I'd say 10th spot for Penrith. :D

Didn't you make that prediction for season 2003 Cogburn??? You were proven wrong - as always - and you'll be proven wrong again. Man you're a glutton for punishment!! :lol: :lol:

Once again, you're just sour graping because your own pair of imported front row forwards and halfback had no clues, and no answer to Clinton & Gower. Imagine if Brett Finch was playing Five-Eighth or (heaven forbid) halfback for Australia? :oops: :( :oops: He'll probably just go and poke players in the eyes like he did to Gower in the Grand Final.

And as for Gower's flashing indiscretion, are you envious that you didn't get a chance to have a peek? How about we mention Freddie Fittler's indiscretion in public a few years back. And he was the NSW AND AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN at the time!!! Shame Shame.

Geez, what are you going to do Cogburn once Fittler retires?? Mediocrity and the Sydney Roosters will go hand-in-hand.

Renowned League Expert said:
Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

Clinton made "hound dogs" out of your forwards in the Grand Final! Not even Morley could stop him. The Roosters forwards couldn't handle him all year.

Clinton was bashed senseless in the round 20 match at Penrith Park. Remember what he said after the game? "Next time I'll keep my big mouth shut."

Well didn't Clinton and the rest of the Panthers return fire in a big way in the Grand Final of 2003??

I think that kept the Rooster's cocky mouths shut!!!

Big Panther Cool said:
Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

Well didn't Clinton and the rest of the Panthers return fire in a big way in the Grand Final of 2003??

The point alleged was that the Roosters forwards 'couldn't handle' Clinton all year. The round 20 match proved otherwise. As for the grand final, well, we saved our worst for last, and let's not forget we had two key forwards out injured, not to mention our best outside back, plus a captain who could barely pass the ball -- and it was *still* very close. If Easts had reproduced their semi-final form, I suspect the result would have been different.

As for Clinton, well, his Australian coach doesn't rate him, and Anderson's a pretty good judge of a footballer, I think. I don't like the man, but he usually gets results.

Typically, Clinton is mouthing off about not getting picked. By their fruits we shall know them ...

JJ

Immortal
Big Panther Cool said:
Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

The point alleged was that the Roosters forwards 'couldn't handle' Clinton all year. The round 20 match proved otherwise. As for the grand final, well, we saved our worst for last, and let's not forget we had two key forwards out injured, not to mention our best outside back, plus a captain who could barely pass the ball -- and it was *still* very close. If Easts had reproduced their semi-final form, I suspect the result would have been different.

As for Clinton, well, his Australian coach doesn't rate him, and Anderson's a pretty good judge of a footballer, I think. I don't like the man, but he usually gets results.

Typically, Clinton is mouthing off about not getting picked. By their fruits we shall know them ...

Ummm - 2/3 ain't bad!!! Plus, it was only the 1st half of the round 20 match.

Anderson a good judge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: His judgement with respect to WIllie Mason is about as good as John Mitchell's with Rueben Thorne.

Usually get's results - yeah I guess. But then, I think I could coach the Australian team and get the results he has. Maybe even you could. And his results with Cronulla this year were flash weren't they, his reluctance to change game plans is a bit Mitchell-esque, so is his arrogance

Look how close we went to beating you guys in Round 20! Yes you won the game, but we were able to come back in the second half.

And what two key forwards were out for the Grand Final? Are you saying that you don't rate Jason Cayless & Ned Catic? I thought they were your first pick at front row!!

Your captain could barely pass the ball?? Oh please give me a break!! Fittler was the one who passed that ball out to Todd Byrne before he got poleaxed by Scott Sattler. If he could "Barely" pass the ball, then the ball wopuldn't have even reached Byrne.

Mate, Craig Gower has been receiving painkilling injections into his sternum for most of the bloody year, and yet he was able to play at his best. He only missed 3 minutes of game time this year!!! I'm sorry but these excuses about Fittler and his injury are beginning to get very tiresome and repetitive.

And you've shot yourself in the foot with the comment about their semi-final form. If they were able to produce that form against the Bulldogs, then what happened against the Panthers? Fittler was playing wasn't he? The two so-called "key forwards" were still injured weren't they?

Sour Grapes my friend.

JJ

Immortal
Big Panther Cool said:

Look how close we went to beating you guys in Round 20! Yes you won the game, but we were able to come back in the second half.

And what two key forwards were out for the Grand Final? Are you saying that you don't rate Jason Cayless & Ned Catic? I thought they were your first pick at front row!!

Your captain could barely pass the ball?? Oh please give me a break!! Fittler was the one who passed that ball out to Todd Byrne before he got poleaxed by Scott Sattler. If he could "Barely" pass the ball, then the ball wopuldn't have even reached Byrne.

Mate, Craig Gower has been receiving painkilling injections into his sternum for most of the bloody year, and yet he was able to play at his best. He only missed 3 minutes of game time this year!!! I'm sorry but these excuses about Fittler and his injury are beginning to get very tiresome and repetitive.

And you've shot yourself in the foot with the comment about their semi-final form. If they were able to produce that form against the Bulldogs, then what happened against the Panthers? Fittler was playing wasn't he? The two so-called "key forwards" were still injured weren't they?

Sour Grapes my friend.

Sour grapes indeed - as I said before, the Roosters were pretty impressive against Penrith for 1/2 a game this year :lol: :lol: and that was the best half they played all year.

Penrith --> minor premiers and premiers - you don't fluke that.

Gower was playing injured too - possibly more injured. Puleatua too. I like Fittler, but I think even he said "I don't handle pain too well". Gower does, enough said

ThrashViking

Juniors
Ali Lauiti'iti
Cant tackle-got made an ass out of by Joe Galuvao & Tony Puletua in the semis,The Lomu of NZ league
Phil Bailey
Braith Anasta
Willie Mason
Luke Ricketson

Phillips

Referee
ThrashViking said:
Ali Lauiti'iti
Cant tackle-got made an ass out of by Joe Galuvao & Tony Puletua in the semis,The Lomu of NZ league

Phil Bailey
Braith Anasta
Willie Mason
Luke Ricketson

maybe because of the fact that Ali Lauiti'iti had a major injury during the year and missed a heap of games

ThrashViking

Juniors
Phillips said:
ThrashViking said:
Ali Lauiti'iti

Phil Bailey
Braith Anasta
Willie Mason
Luke Ricketson

maybe because of the fact that Ali Lauiti'iti had a major injury during the year and missed a heap of games
That's an excuse for not being able to tackle? :roll:
He's never been able to tackle well,it's a well known fact regardless of an injury

Munky

Coach
Phillips said:
ThrashViking said:
Ali Lauiti'iti

Phil Bailey
Braith Anasta
Willie Mason
Luke Ricketson

Both Penrith forwards would have missed that game if it wasn't a semi. Are they perhaps the most devastating second row combination going around? There may be better second rowers but none have the combination those two have.

I must admit I have fond memories of Lauiti'iti destroying the Broncos in 2002.

Big Panther Cool said:

Sour Grapes my friend.

To the issue of "sour grapes", well, I'm not the one who mentioned the grand final in the first place. The thread was about over-rated players. I said Joel Clinton. Several Penrith fans then started talking about the grand final. Get over it. You won. You were very lucky. Everybody accepts that. No serious commentator truly believes Penrith were the best side in 2003; just as no one seriously believes Easts were the best team in 2002 and, for that matter, no one believes Newcastle were the best team in 2001.

The two key forwards were our regular starting props, Peter Cusack and Todd Payten. Do you really think Ned Catic would have been anywhere near the starting line-up had we been at full strength?

To your last comment, well, you've refuted nothing. As I said, we weren't able to reproduce our semi-final form in the grand final. If we had, we'd have won handily. Probably.

But it's water under the bridge, I don't know why you keep talking about the grand final in a thread that has nothing to do with the grand final.

To the issue of "sour grapes", well, I'm not the one who mentioned the grand final in the first place. The thread was about over-rated players. I said Joel Clinton. Several Penrith fans then started talking about the grand final. Get over it. You won. You were very lucky. Everybody accepts that. No serious commentator truly believes Penrith were the best side in 2003; just as no one seriously believes Easts were the best team in 2002 and, for that matter, no one believes Newcastle were the best team in 2001.

VERY LUCKY???!!!!???!!!

Was it luck that........................

Jason Cayless was too lazy around the marker defence (or was he too laxy to run back to the 10 metre defensive line - take your pick), allowing Luke Priddis to sprint through and set up Luke Rooney for the first try???

Todd Byrne forgot how to run in-field and, more importantly, get "out-sprinted" by a forward???

Craig Fitzgibbon was not able to tackle Luke Priddis hard enough before he barged over to score the second Panther try????

Was it luck that.........................

Anthony Minichiello fumbled bombs at crucial times? Rhys Wesser was given the same treatment with bombs and long kicks, and yet he was able to handle it well!!!

And................

Was it luck that.........................

Luke Priddis was able to OUTSMART THE ENTIRE ROOSTERS DEFENSIVE LINE by sending a wide pass out to Luke Rooney to score the matchwinning try, rather than do the obvious and pass the ball to either Gower or Campbell for the drop goal??

Now let's get back to the subject of OVER-RATED.

The Roosters were rated to win this Grand Final by a mile. Panthers were labelled the "biggest underdogs in recent history". Virtually no-one gave them a chance.

And look how they handled the Roosters in the end. The Roosters were "OUT-ROOSTERED"!! They gave the Roosters their biggest defeat this year!!

And the Roosters were supposed to be the "overwhelming favourites"??!!??!! Now THAT to me is OVER-RATED!!

You say that Joel Clinton was Over-rated. At least he made the City Origin & Kangaroo tour sides. Big achievement, considering it's only his second season in First Grade.

Now I ask you, what did the ROOSTERS achieve in the NRL premiership season of 2003??

There is no doubt that Penrith's big test will be the 2004 season. It's one thing to sneak up and win a comp as 100-1 outsiders and good luck to them for achieving it however it's going to be a completely different story in 2004.
Will Penrith be up to the challenge? I doubt it. I believe that Easts will once again be the team to beat and that our main rivals will be Brisbane, NZ and maybe Newcastle. I can't even see Penrith making the top 8 next season. You can call it sour grapes or anything that you like but it will be interesting to see how the year unfolds. My gut feeling is that Penrith have just done a Balmain of 69!

Anonymous

Juniors
Oh my God. You roosters fans (Not all of you) have serious problems. Get over it. The better team on the day and throughout the year won. GET OVER IT!