What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

most overrated player at your own club - current & all-time

Reflector

Juniors
I heard his oral skills were quite legendary..
I still remember Candice Falzon was being interviewed on some current affairs show and they were asking her about other flings she was linked to. She was downplaying them all, going "Oh nothing happened there, he was just a friend" etc etc. Then they mentioned SBW and she went on tilt and basically told them to go to the next question.

She could brush the rest off, but the camera doesn't lie...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Shaun Johnson has to rate a mention.

On his day - sure he can make some nifty plays, but it's CONSISTENCY that's always been his bugbear. For every solid game there's like 3 or 4 where he goes missing.

I honestly thought his time at the Sharks may have driven better week-in-week-out performances into him - you know, being away from the Warriors "good enough" culture.. but nope.
Yeah...it just seemed too easy a target.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Shaun Johnson has to rate a mention.

On his day - sure he can make some nifty plays, but it's CONSISTENCY that's always been his bugbear. For every solid game there's like 3 or 4 where he goes missing.

I honestly thought his time at the Sharks may have driven better week-in-week-out performances into him - you know, being away from the Warriors "good enough" culture.. but nope.
Spent a few draft fantasy seasons with SJ has my half and goal kicker so watched the warriors with an extra bit if interest and will second this statement. He would tear a side to shreds one week then the next would vanish only to occasionally pop up and do something just...because.

When he is in that mode there can be a 4 on 2 overlap with all the momentum their way and then SJ would stop dead, trot back the other way and change tolhe play by passing it to someone infield that is standing flat that wasn't expecting it, just......because. was mind boggling

flippikat

Bench
Spent a few draft fantasy seasons with SJ has my half and goal kicker so watched the warriors with an extra bit if interest and will second this statement. He would tear a side to shreds one week then the next would vanish only to occasionally pop up and do something just...because.

When he is in that mode there can be a 4 on 2 overlap with all the momentum their way and then SJ would stop dead, trot back the other way and change tolhe play by passing it to someone infield that is standing flat that wasn't expecting it, just......because. was mind boggling
Thing is, I honestly thought going to the Sharks would give him the kick-in-the-pants needed to get good performances every week. Boy was I wrong.

kit66

Bench
At the moment Zac Lomax, so many errors and stupid, unnecessary flick passes - gets lauded as a champion when one sticks but geez they're few and far between. I'm not sure he's capable of getting the nonsense out of his game, just doesn't seem that bright old Zac.

All time - easy, Dean Young. Got a spot because of his dad. He might have played with heart and even put in a rare good performance but it's the fact he was squeezed into the team ahead of so many more deserving players. We had some great choices for forwards during D.Young's time but week after week they'd be forced onto the bench or reserves to accommodate the son of Albert. Hearing him called a club legend makes my blood boil.

Smug Panther

First Grade
At the moment Zac Lomax, so many errors and stupid, unnecessary flick passes - gets lauded as a champion when one sticks but geez they're few and far between. I'm not sure he's capable of getting the nonsense out of his game, just doesn't seem that bright old Zac.

All time - easy, Dean Young. Got a spot because of his dad. He might have played with heart and even put in a rare good performance but it's the fact he was squeezed into the team ahead of so many more deserving players. We had some great choices for forwards during D.Young's time but week after week they'd be forced onto the bench or reserves to accommodate the son of Albert. Hearing him called a club legend makes my blood boil.
Young the shit merkin even played a game for nsw!

Jason Maher

Immortal
Young the shit merkin even played a game for nsw!
Should have played many more.

Most overrated Dolphins signing is tough because I can't think of any of them that get rated particularly highly except Jesse Bromwich, and he has earned it. Maybe Kaufusi or Edrick Lee. I know at one point Milf was highly rated (remember the butthurt from Canberra fans when Brisbane signed him?), but he actually was good back then. No one rates him anymore.

Edit: How could I forget? Euan f**king Aitken.

Last edited:

Saxon

Bench
Most overrated Dolphins signing is tough because I can't think of any of them that get rated particularly highly except Jesse Bromwich, and he has earned it.
Earned it then threw it away. 2021 he wasn't near his best and there were games where he didn't look like his heart was in it.
2022 he was taking the piss and collecting a paycheque. It got to the point where plenty of Storm fans couldn't wait for him to leave.

Munky

Coach
For PENRITH I'd say Martin and Crichton.

However, Martin absolutely ripped in since a poor game against Souths near the end of the season.

While Critter is a weird one. His attack is pretty poor given his athleticism but has done absolutely clutch defensive plays. In the 2021 finals he made match winning plays in each of the three wins.

In the World Cup he just took Samoa to the final.

Both have been horrible at Origin level.

Cowboyz

Juniors
For the Cowboys
Current & All time:
Jeremiah Nanai
He undeniably has a bucket load of potential but shouldn’t have been picked for any rep sides or be jizzed over to the extend he is. Most of his tries have come from kicks and being in the right place at the right time. Once he becomes more dangerous with ball in hand, break more tackles and run better lines and improves defensively then he might deserve the accolades a bit more.

Nuke

Staff member
My nominations for Newcastle are:

* All-time: Darius 'pot plant' Boyd. Came in on big money, but all he did was pass to his wingers. Except, of course, one week before Origin selections where he dug in and had a go. And I seem to recall he put 2-3 games in a row in one year. The last round, plus a Finals game or two.

Current: Our present Darius, Kalyn Ponga. Absolutely no doubting his speed, agility, and talent, but seems to phone it in most weeks before being a star of Origin. He's on too much money for the output he gives back at the moment.
Unfortunately none of the rest of the Knights are highly rated anymore, so KP's the obvious choice here.

Latest posts