What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overrated players?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
McCrone and Latimore. Mary's favourites.

I will get bagged for this but as a backrower I never rated Menzies. Scored alot of tries out wide from quality Cliff Lyons ball but not a guy to make a great tackle, take a hit up or bust the line. More a glory hunter looking to score tries than do the dirty work that a backrower has to do. The guys on Matty Johns ( Hyndy/Fletch) make fun of him sometimes and call him a cat. I would have preferred them 2 or Tallis then Menzies in my lineup any day of the week.

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
My 2021 Over-rated XIII :
1 Kalyn Ponga 2 Charlie Staines 3 Zac Lomax 4 Bradman Best 5 Jason Saab 6 Matt Moylan 7 Shaun Johnson
13 Dale Finucane 12 Jai Arrow 11 Villiame Kikau 10 Aaron Woods 9 Victor Radley 8 Paul Vaughan
"Coach" : Michael Maguire
WTF....Staines, Best, Kikau and Radley....I'd chop something off to see them in red and white.

WTF....Staines, Best, Kikau and Radley....I'd chop something off to see them in red and white.
Staines and Best are hit and miss. I've always felt Kikau had a few errors in him and his highlights reel would not be as long as you'd expect. As for Radley, he is an over-rated grub. Besides, this is the player who was sin-binned twice and put on report three (or was it four?) times in one match earlier this year. If he'd been in a Saints jersey he'd have been sent off after the first offence and suspended for 17 weeks.
Careful which appendage you sacrifice for any one of them, mate.

BLM01

First Grade
I will do something different. The most overrated player at each club IMO for 2021
1. Melb - Jesse Bromwich. That was a very hard one they are all good but he does not have the impact he did a few years back
2. Penrith. Kikau standout, lazy playerrelative to the rest of their forwards
3. Souths. Gagai
4. Parra. Matterson
5. Roosters. Another very tough one but will say lachlan Lam.
6. Manly.. Taupau
7. Sharks. Woods
8. Dragons. hehehehehe.. cant be Normie cause no one rates him, so I will say ATM has to be Kerr
9. Canberra. James
10. Titans. Fifita value for money spent
11. Newcastle. Clifford
12. Warriors. Townsend..before he came Kane Evans
13. Cowboys. Holmes at fullback. What has Todd & Dean done to this side Hess & JT, McLean etc they are a shadow of their past.
14. Tigers. Joe O
15. Broncos. Glenn..time to retire
16. Dogs. Elliott

be55

Juniors
Staines and Best are hit and miss. I've always felt Kikau had a few errors in him and his highlights reel would not be as long as you'd expect. As for Radley, he is an over-rated grub. Besides, this is the player who was sin-binned twice and put on report three (or was it four?) times in one match earlier this year. If he'd been in a Saints jersey he'd have been sent off after the first offence and suspended for 17 weeks.
Careful which appendage you sacrifice for any one of them, mate.
You make some good points mate, especially re Radley...i'd still like to see any of them signed, AT THEIR BEST any of those players could make a difference to a team, especially ours... As for appendages, i'd start with the toes then the fingers...I've got 20 of those so i'm bound to get it right eventually 😜

gitano

Juniors
Zac Lomax. In terms of value he'd be the lowest in the competition. Has no point of difference on any centre in the game. Easily handled, predictable in attack and generally a weak carry out of trouble.

Spazer

Juniors
don't really know, before the start of the season I would have said Ben Hunt and Hynes but they've proven me wrong.

Need a thread for some underrated players though: drew hutchinson, harper, tyson gamble, tesi nui

From the games I saw earlier this year, and / or recent times…

Tino Fausuemslaui (spelling?). Whenever I’ve seen him he’s been bog average or MIA. Maybe I’ve just missed his good stuff.

Frizell. Nowhere near the player of 2 years ago. I was annoyed when most people wanted him in origin, especially over Sims. Not coz he left us but we needed extra aggro.. not all back rowers who do the same thing.

Cherry Daly Evans. Good player, but not top-shelf quality. Only seems to stand out because of the dearth of quality halfbacks on the modern era.

Kikau. For reasons suggested earlier. You never see him doing the tough work to help get the panthers out of their own end. He runs downhill.. very good at that, but others do the heavy lifting.

Ryan Matterson. Probably the stigma from his exit from the tigers and telling them they’ll never win a comp etc. Since going to Parra he’s not really put himself up in lights.

Luciano Leilua. Only coz I know plenty of people who thought he was the ducks guts. He’s ok but like a lot of players with long hair, especially forwards… when it flies around it gives the visual impression of intensity and energy. He’s no real different to the bulk of backrowers.

Vaughan for us, thought that well before bbqs galore. Aside from him you could argue many of our players are because of how we are going. But I’ll suggest Dufty, McCullough..

rasaint

Juniors
The unremarkable Zac Lomax. Zac’s good luck scored a reported $600+ a season for 5 or 6 seasons. Good goal kicker and that’s it. We are stuck, don’t know what the club was thinking? It’s these recruitments which banish us for years to simply make up the numbers.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
The unremarkable Zac Lomax. Zac’s good luck scored a reported $600+ a season for 5 or 6 seasons. Good goal kicker and that’s it. We are stuck, don’t know what the club was thinking? It’s these recruitments which banish us for years to simply make up the numbers.
I seriously don't understand your thinking may not be the standout centre in the game but is playing in a team overall close to the bottom in his second full season there is a lot to like and to look forward to IMO.

blacksafake

First Grade
My list is more about players who get the commentators excited over a run or two etc, giving them the impression of doing more than they have more so than overrated.
Storm, J Bromwich
Panthers, Kikau, Crichton, TPJ(for now)
Roosters, Walker, I know he’s young but they do carry on when he does something.
Eels, Brown,Matterson,Moses
Manly,Tapau
Raiders, Wighton,James,Tapane
Sharks, Rudolph, Moylan
Us,Dufty
Knights, Best
Tigers, Nofoaluma, Luc
Dogs,Elliott, Jackson, TPJ(next year)
Warriors, Walsh, A F Blake
Broncos, Stagg,Coates
Titans, Tino,Fifita, Brimson
Cowboys, Holmes,
Souths, Cook

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
David Fifita, unstoppable one game, unspotted the next. Hate when massive units like him waste talent. Cameron Smith, obviously one of the greats but he never played in a bad team I would love to see what his career would have looked like if he played for a bottom feeder. Melbourne are still roaring along.

Trifili13

Juniors
Blacksafake, you got me thinking could I put a team together with your list:
Front row: Bromwich and Tapau
Hooker: Cook
Second row: Jackson and Fifita
Lock: Tino
Half: Moses
5/8: Wighton
Centres: Staggs and Best
Wingers: Coates and Holmes
Fullback: Brimson
Bench: Kikau, AFB, Matterson and Walsh

Looking at the above, I would take them over our mob and would probably make the semis. Given them a season or 2 under Bennett and Bellamy and I reckon they win the comp.

blacksafake

First Grade
Blacksafake, you got me thinking could I put a team together with your list:
Front row: Bromwich and Tapau
Hooker: Cook
Second row: Jackson and Fifita
Lock: Tino
Half: Moses
5/8: Wighton
Centres: Staggs and Best
Wingers: Coates and Holmes
Fullback: Brimson
Bench: Kikau, AFB, Matterson and Walsh

Looking at the above, I would take them over our mob and would probably make the semis. Given them a season or 2 under Bennett and Bellamy and I reckon they win the comp.
All good players on their day but too inconsistent & as per my post media favs.
Although I wouldn’t mind a few playing for us now😁

Latest posts