What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most respected player from each club

Bulldog Force

Referee
Who do you think they are? Players rarely (or never) in the headlines for the wrong reasons? Loyal clubman? Great ambassadors to the game. All of the above?

Broncos: Civinoceva
Bulldogs: Josh Morrs - must mention though other candidates would include after Hazem El Masri, Luke Patten and Andrew Ryan who have since retired/moved on.
Raiders: Campese - Been at the club since 2004. Has had injury troubles throughout his career, but hard to find a more respected player at the club.
Cowboys: Matt Bowen - been at the club for a decade, never in the headlines for the wrong reasons and always consistent.
Titans: Luke Bailey
Sea Eagles: Brent Kite - has been at other clubs but has spent the majority of his career at Manly, consistent, leads from the top, never in the headlines for the wrong reasons, played rep footy, and has won 2 premierships with the club (among other players).
Storm: Billy Slater - another clubman who's spent a decade at the storm. Has always been loyal and given his club first-preference when coming off contract. Has had some suspensions, but has become a veteran of the game and became one of the best players in the world over the past few seasons.
Knights: Kurt Gidley - versatile player, loyal clubman and leader.
Eels: Nathan Hindmarsh
Panthers: Luke Lewis
Sharks: Paul Gallen
Rabbitohs: Nathan Merritt - a lot of contenders here but hard to go past the local Redfern boy.
Dragons: Jason Nightingale - now I know a lot of people would argue for Matt Cooper, Dean Young or Ben Hornby, but IMO Jason Nightingale has never been in controversy, as a player in safe and consistent and never loses his cool on the field. In a few more years if he stays at the club, he will be in the same level as the above mentioned players, however he's earned the respect he deserves in the present.
Roosters: Anthony Minichiello
Warriors: Simon Mannering
Tigers: Benji Marshall - while he may have been involved in some off-field controversies (that he was cleared of) he's been one of the most dangerous weapons that the Tigers have ever produced. One of the best players in the world at present who can easily change the game, lift the team as well as bring fans in through the gates.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Who do you think they are? Players rarely (or never) in the headlines for the wrong reasons? Loyal clubman? Great ambassadors to the game. All of the above?

Broncos: Civinoceva
Bulldogs: Josh Morrs - must mention though other candidates would include after Hazem El Masri, Luke Patten and Andrew Ryan who have since retired/moved on.
Raiders: Been at the club since 2004. Has had injury troubles throughout his career, but hard to find a more respected player at the club.
Cowboys: Matt Bowen - been at the club for a decade, never in the headlines for the wrong reasons and always consistent.
Titans: Luke Bailey
Sea Eagles: Brent Kite - has been at other clubs but has spent the majority of his career at Manly, consistent, leads from the top, never in the headlines for the wrong reasons, played rep footy, and has won 2 premierships with the club (among other players).
Storm: Billy Slater - another clubman who's spent a decade at the storm. Has always been loyal and given his club first-preference when coming off contract. Has had some suspensions, but has become a veteran of the game and became one of the best players in the world over the past few seasons.
Knights: Kurt Gidley - versatile player, loyal clubman and leader.
Eels: Nathan Hindmarsh
Panthers: Luke Lewis
Sharks: Paul Gallen
Rabbitohs: Nathan Merritt - a lot of contenders here but hard to go past the local Redfern boy.
Dragons: Jason Nightingale - now I know a lot of people would argue for Matt Cooper, Dean Young or Ben Hornby, but IMO Jason Nightingale has never been in controversy, as a player in safe and consistent and never loses his cool on the field. In a few more years if he stays at the club, he will be in the same level as the above mentioned players, however he's earned the respect he deserves in the present.
Roosters: Anthony Minichiello
Warriors: Simon Mannering
Tigers: Benji Marshall - while he may have been involved in some off-field controversies (that he was cleared of) he's been one of the most dangerous weapons that the Tigers have ever produced. One of the best players in the world at present who can easily change the game, lift the team as well as bring fans in through the gates.

Good list, initially i disagreed with Slater cause he is a merkin but considering Melbourne are all scumbag cheating merkins i cant think of anyone else to pick over him, and its hard not to respect Slaters ability.

Edit: Oh the tigers it must be Tim Moltzen, great clubman who gives it all everyweek and always puts the team first.

Fire

First Grade
Good list. Agree with Nighty, always gets the biggest cheers at home games when the team is announced.

age.s

First Grade
The most respected player should always be the captain of the club IMO. For example if it's not Ennis at the Dogs it certainly should be. Whether or not we respect the guy isn't the point, his teammates have to or he's not doing his job as captain.

I would have said Smith for the Storm, Ellis for the Tigers and Campese for the Raiders.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Lots of mixed reports from Tigers fans. I'm getting Ellis, Lawrence and Molzten. It's all opinion based of course, but my reasons for not picking those 3 are:

Tim Moltzen - all the controversy he had after not going with the Dragons kind of lost him points and he did not have a very good start to 2012. Also he's only been with the club since 2008.

Ellis, while solid, has only been with the club since 2009.

Lawrence has been good but I can't go past Benji - he's been with the club a few years longer and also played a crucial role in winning the 2005 premiership for them.

grouch

First Grade
The most respected player should always be the captain of the club IMO. For example if it's not Ennis at the Dogs it certainly should be. Whether or not we respect the guy isn't the point, his teammates have to or he's not doing his job as captain.

I would have said Smith for the Storm, Ellis for the Tigers and Campese for the Raiders.
Yep, that means it's Inglis Burgess Sutton Merritt King Asotasi Everingham Luke McQueen Geddes for Souths

Manly - No one, they're all merkins.
Melbourne - No one but especially that dirty prick Smith, that f**king grub Slater and that twat Anthony Quinn.

Bulldog Force

Referee

Mate, as a dogs fan, even I know it's not Ennis.

betcats

Referee
Lots of mixed reports from Tigers fans. I'm getting Ellis, Lawrence and Molzten. It's all opinion based of course, but my reasons for not picking those 3 are:

Tim Moltzen - all the controversy he had after not going with the Dragons kind of lost him points and he did not have a very good start to 2012. Also he's only been with the club since 2008.

Ellis, while solid, has only been with the club since 2009.

Lawrence has been good but I can't go past Benji - he's been with the club a few years longer and also played a crucial role in winning the 2005 premiership for them.

Moltzen wasnt serious. Id go Ellis for the Tigs.

Tommax25

Bench
Have we forgotten about Gallen's handling of the balls? Hardly a cleanskin, but defs their most respected. What about someone like Pomeroy :sarcasm: