What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most underrated players in the NRL

MacDougall

First Grade
That guy from my team...

But seriously from the Tigers I'd like to nominate Ava Seumanufagai. He never gets wraps but he is so solid. I have considered him a Petero clone for a couple of years but he's not had a chance to be a pack leader playing off the bench at the Tigers but doesn't put a foot wrong, runs hard, tackles hard. Extremely solid middle player.

Others I'd toss up are Chris Lawrence and Kevin Naqaiama. Lawrence as a backrower has looked amazing and Naqaiama has been a revelation in the centres ever since he was moved there.

What you got?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ava's been a good first grade prop for about 18 months now. Surprised we didn't have more competition to keep him last year.

Chris Lawrence has been fantastic since his move to the back row, if it had of happened 2 years earlier he would probably be playing origin. He certainly wouldn't be any worse then Ryan Hoffman or josh Jackson.

I'd also say Sue, except I think most people are now starting to rate him pretty highly.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Bryson Goodwin. Considering he only started playing centre 3 years ago after a career on the wing, he's been doing pretty well (besides an injury riddled 2014 where he ended up at the Bears) but he seems to be doing well. If he had more speed he'd be up there but is doing well and is ageing well like a fine wine.

Jason Clark is a solid forward who never gets a mention but plays with a lot of heart and seems to have bulked up this year and will be moving to prop.

Keffola

Juniors
Brenton lawrence.

Nate Myles is not the Manly prop that should be picked for origin this year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bryson Goodwin. Considering he only started playing centre 3 years ago after a career on the wing, he's been doing pretty well (besides an injury riddled 2014 where he ended up at the Bears) but he seems to be doing well. If he had more speed he'd be up there but is doing well and is ageing well like a fine wine.

Jason Clark is a solid forward who never gets a mention but plays with a lot of heart and seems to have bulked up this year and will be moving to prop.

Goodwins attack is quiet good, it's his defence that lets him down.

Can't agree on Clarke, the guy is a fringe first grader. Great clubman who Souths fans probably love but he's The jason nightingale of forwards.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Goodwins attack is quiet good, it's his defence that lets him down.

Can't agree on Clarke, the guy is a fringe first grader. Great clubman who Souths fans probably love but he's The jason nightingale of forwards.

Fair opinion of yours.

Goodwin's defence is poor on the wing I reckon. At centre he's only been shown up once against James Roberts last year. Besides that he's been fairly solid. Hark back to 2013 when he completely dominated Jamie Lyon who was in very good form.

Clark is a great clubman yeah but I think fringe first grader is a bit harsh. Would he make most other team's top 13? Maybe not, but he'd definitely show a lot more heart than most of them.

natheel

Coach
Ava's been a good first grade prop for about 18 months now. Surprised we didn't have more competition to keep him last year.

Chris Lawrence has been fantastic since his move to the back row, if it had of happened 2 years earlier he would probably be playing origin. He certainly wouldn't be any worse then Ryan Hoffman or josh Jackson.

I'd also say Sue, except I think most people are now starting to rate him pretty highly.

Now we have lost Paulo I wouldn't mind us going after Sue. Would be a decent replacement

Vic Mackey

Referee
Clark is a great clubman yeah but I think fringe first grader is a bit harsh. Would he make most other team's top 13? Maybe not, but he'd definitely show a lot more heart than most of them.

Like I said he's the kinda guy the club he plays for fans love. Local junior who gives his all. But when you need to justify how good he is by saying 'he shows a lot of heart' it tells you something about where he really is. Souths are probably lucky that they've had such strong packs the last few years so they can afford to have him on th bench, but put him in the Tigers pack of the last couple of years and he'd be well shown up.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
From us

Norman and Gordon

Gordon is a very solid fullback who has a very good positional game while he is also a very tough player takes hit ups that some forwards don't

I don't watch much Parra (if any) but Norman showed zero heart at Brisbane. He might have skill, but in the tough moments, he's nowhere to be found.