What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving forward

Shredder

Juniors
Madge has kinda shot himself in the foot of bad luck by promoting a guy to captain that is out of form. He cant drop the guy and we are stuck with him.

Keeping in mind we have a shithouse backline, but the skeleton of a good young forward pack, and that we have I think 12 players off contract, I think we should do this:

- Curtis Scott (centre) has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs sign him. He wont be a fortune.
- George Burgess is probably leaving Souths - will add starch to our forwards.
- Jordan Rapana is off contract
- I like Brad Takarangi from the Eels and he could play in the centres or the back row
- There was that hooker from Manly that we were linked to - name escapes me.

Thats five players that would not break the bank and would probably do a better job than the numpties we have now.

Plus that may actually leave a little cash in the bank of a bigger name signing.

tiger102

Juniors
Madge has kinda shot himself in the foot of bad luck by promoting a guy to captain that is out of form. He cant drop the guy and we are stuck with him.

Keeping in mind we have a shithouse backline, but the skeleton of a good young forward pack, and that we have I think 12 players off contract, I think we should do this:

- Curtis Scott (centre) has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs sign him. He wont be a fortune.
- George Burgess is probably leaving Souths - will add starch to our forwards.
- Jordan Rapana is off contract
- I like Brad Takarangi from the Eels and he could play in the centres or the back row
- There was that hooker from Manly that we were linked to - name escapes me.

Thats five players that would not break the bank and would probably do a better job than the numpties we have now.

Plus that may actually leave a little cash in the bank of a bigger name signing.

Manase Fainu is the hooker I think you are talking about. There is some good players out there at there clubs may be looking to of load. Mybe would make a good utility player IMO.

Add these guys as well.
  • Euan Aitken (Can’t get a start with Lafai/Lomax)
  • Jamayne Isaako (In reserves)
  • Dylan Edwards (Cleary wants gone)
  • Jaydn Su’A ( Qld Cup)

Shredder

Juniors
Agree 102.- These are the kind of players we should be looking at.

Aitken, Isaako and Edwards would walk into our side.

I still want to see Gamble play in the centres to.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Manase Fainu is the hooker I think you are talking about. There is some good players out there at there clubs may be looking to of load. Mybe would make a good utility player IMO.

Add these guys as well.
  • Euan Aitken (Can’t get a start with Lafai/Lomax)
  • Jamayne Isaako (In reserves)
  • Dylan Edwards (Cleary wants gone)
  • Jaydn Su’A ( Qld Cup)

Not sold on Isaako - he can't tackle, really is a poor man's Bungie.

Shredder

Juniors
This is what I mean.

These guys listed are not depth players. They are first grade players with a roadblock most of them).

Whats a better risk? A superstar on $600k or 4 guys for the same money?

Simple really.

I think there are plenty of players out there that would walk into our team, we definitely need a new hooker and outside backs for next season.

Tiger05

First Grade
This is what I mean.

These guys listed are not depth players. They are first grade players with a roadblock most of them).

Whats a better risk? A superstar on $600k or 4 guys for the same money?

Simple really.

If you can get them for the smaller money you have to get them.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think there are plenty of players out there that would walk into our team, we definitely need a new hooker and outside backs for next season.

Liddle hopefully can do the job next season. We do need some other options though. Liddle and even potentially Robson mean we aren't in a terrible situation in relation to the hooker role.

We definitely though need outside backs.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I don't reckon Madge is afraid to drop the captain if it's warranted, but even though Mbye is down on form (or possibly struggling with niggles) he probably fits into the 17 somewhere.

Matterson was a fantastic pickup. We just need a few more signings like that.

Tiger05

First Grade
Liddle....... You cant build a team around a bloke who play half of four games a year.

Hopefully though it's just been bad luck. He is a better hooker than Robbie now. He just needs some stability on the field.

simmo1

First Grade
Isaako would be a great signing. He isn’t the only Bronco down on form this year. Had some outstanding games last season and quality goal kicker (and FG kicker).

Mario chalmers

Juniors
You have to target players who are on the way up, spending big dollars on players who have one foot in retirement mode is crazy.

Matterson should be the model for all our recruitment from now on
Agree totally. Matterson played 60 games for Easts in 3 seasons. Enough to show that he could play at the level and potentially improve with opportunity. Good judges say you need to play 50 at NRL level before you know what you're doing.

You don't get those types often in truth though. Marty Tapau is another that sprung to mind. Was never getting a go at Canterbury and impressed in State Cup.

I can't believe Ipswich Jets fullback Michael Purcell has not been picked up to an NRL deal yet. He scored something like a try per game across his first 3 seasons at that level and is lightning fast. Similar to JAC in terms of speed

tiger102

Juniors
what do we do with Esan Marsters?
Agree 102.- These are the kind of players we should be looking at.

Aitken, Isaako and Edwards would walk into our side.

I still want to see Gamble play in the centres to.
Gamble could make a good ball playing lock has the size and skills. I know that I may be dreaming but a backline like this will do me fine.

1, Dylan Edwards
2, Corey Thompson/Kane Bradley
3, Euan Aitken
4, Curtis Scott
5, Dylan Smith

super_coach

First Grade
The hardest task we face is moving on a few contracts that still have a year or two to run. Our forwards are still a little below NRL standard but our backs are just about reserve grade standard, so what cap space we can free up has to be directed in that direction.

There will come a time when this club will crumble without a glimmer of success. Tigers fans are a resilient lot, but I know they will eventually walk away. I think the club is getting close to the cross roads. They have start being a lot smarter in who they recruit

Tiger05

First Grade
Matterson and Twal have been great purchases. Mbye may still be a good buy. Robbie and Benji at the backend of their careers on reasonable dollars are good purchases but they aren't going to make us a top team. Aloiai and Mikaele are starting to look good. Brooks is looking good as well although he hasn't been great this year. Thompson has been a great signing.

It's the purchases like Matulino, Packer. McQueen & Reynolds that are killing us. Marsters is someone who is looking close to being done. Fonua has been great but I don't know if you can retain him if you want to have a top tier team. Maybe if everyone else was better Fonua would be okay. Jennings doesn't look like he has it.

Still some of these guys are going to start coming off contract and the comp is really top heavy in the Rorters especially have a team to win it. Penrith, Souths and Melbourne are also potentially comp winners. We aren't a contender but we are an average team. A couple of quality signings or juniors coming in and we can come good. I just can't see the junior talent that we have available.

Tiger05

First Grade
The big issue is that isn't much more tinkering we can do with the current team. We don't appear to have any juniors ready apart from Liddle. I think all we can do is play Liddle as much as possible and hope our spine clicks.