What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving to Melbourne

Bman26

Juniors
So I'm uprooting my life and moving to Melbourne in February. Will be living in (on?) Southbank. Where am I most likely to catch a game of league on TV?

Also, given I will be working down there any advice on getting in to AFL so I have something to talk to new colleagues about would be great :).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't watch or follow afl and i get on fine. People down here don't talk about afl as much as you might think.

There are a few pubs that show the games and they are growing in numbers to. There was one at richmond and i once watched a game at a pub at melbourne central.

I have foxtel, so i just watch at home.

A couple of things...you will find the NRL on at a number of pubs in Richmond and also South Melbourne so all good.

Also with the AFL, I have been here for 18 years and knew nothing about it...still don't know a lot about it and guys don't talk about it that much.

Also...get to AAMI Park and jump on the Storm bandwagon mate.

Bman26

Juniors
Been a storm fan since 1998, no need to jump on the bandwagon!

Looking to get fox once i'm settled which will help, hopefully the group of people at my new job aren't too big on the AFL then!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
all the dragons fans in Melbourne are pretty awesome...

Bman26

Juniors
How many is there Muz? Can't imagine there is many, though i'd say % wise they would be top 3-4

Melb
Bris
Souffs/St George

Would be my guess for top 4....

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
there are hundreds that i know of... and i'd say many many more that are lone wolves..

LESStar58

Referee
Mate, do not fall for this myth that having an AFL is as a prerequisite of living in Melbourne.

I moved here in 1987 after a few years overseas and had Carlton as a VFL team as I didn't know any better as a seven year old. By the time I got to my 20s I was sick of it as I had Storm to support.

you will never find a bigger pack of sycophantic yes men than the AFL community. Just tell them you support the Storm when they ask which "footy" team you support and enjoy the lols.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Yeah I've moved down here a few times and the AFL's all a bit full on of course. I'm still amazed how the Storm fans get behind their team down here with bugger all televised locally.

Yeah I've moved down here a few times and the AFL's all a bit full on of course. I'm still amazed how the Storm fans get behind their team down here with bugger all televised locally.

We all get foxtel mate to get the full NRL coverage...majority of Storm fans are ex pat Kiwis or Pacific Islanders with Pommies and Sydneyites thrown in.