What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Negative gives us a spray

Blade23

Juniors
http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-daily-telegraph-sydney/20150622/282574491715193/TextView
Its subscription so I can't post full story. But Slothfield is giving it to us.

A few facts ignored by the ignorant one.
Gould didn't take over till mid 2011 so its unfair to compare our stats a year and half beforehand.
Our crowd average this year is 12,400 not 11,500. It would be higher if we won more games.
No mention of our supporter numbers climbing from 5000 to nearly 10,000 while under Gould & Cleary.
I would like to see Cronulla struggle without their champion 5/8 for 6 weeks and fullback for 10 weeks. Oh that's right they don't have any star players except a part timer captain. Its obvious Slothfiled is on a high with Cronulla winning a game.
I think injuries have impacted our year, but we should have played better with some of our the cattle we have had on the park and should have beaten a few more sides.
Some of our players deserve a serve particularly our forward pack but not from an bias clown.

Last edited:

Copperhead

Juniors
So he's a dickhead. But in this case he's right. There wasn't anything in that story I could disagree with (except crowd numbers).

ammatt

Juniors
And Cronulla's quick fix plan of taking drugs also did not work.
The team, the club and their supporters are sh*t and I will guarantee Penrith will win 2 more premierships before Cronulla wins 1.

franklin2323

Immortal
There are plenty of clubs far worse off then us. A soft forward pack and a few losses can't undo the positives around

I stop reading when I saw Rothfiled.
Keep up the negative news articles all week I say it might fire the boys up.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

https://twitter.com/Stormchaser__23/status/612819827908935680/photo/1

f**k that prick!

I'm Glad i got my point across :D

maple_69

Bench
We are actually closing in 20000 members. I'll work on a Sharks side that would look like ours if they had our injuries later. Actually no I won't. We saw it last year and they came stone motherless last.

darkbloom

Juniors
You can never improve unless you first face the facts. My observation are these:

After requiring additional licensed club subsidies of more than $3m average per season since 2011. Don't be fooled by the club saying the Panthers are break even this was done by a bit of accounting sleight of hand - they simply changed changed the reporting of the property trust.

We have improved membership numbers - but they, as with all clubs, include plenty of dodgy stuff. The figures are pretty meaningless really. And their meaninglessness is demonstrated by a failure to convert this increase to increased attendance.

Crowds are poor - for a team making the 2nd last game last season, the crowds last year were very bad, this year they are just poor. Though about the same as for the 1991 premiership.

Sponsorship was marginally up for Season 2014, in gross terms, but down in percentage profit from sponsorship.

The team is running 10th. Yes, injuries have been harsh but that doesn't not make it any better.

The group assets have been reduced by more than $100m.

If you think things are running smoothly, think again.

mxlegend99

Referee
You can never improve unless you first face the facts. My observation are these:

After requiring additional licensed club subsidies of more than $3m average per season since 2011. Don't be fooled by the club saying the Panthers are break even this was done by a bit of accounting sleight of hand - they simply changed changed the reporting of the property trust.

We have improved membership numbers - but they, as with all clubs, include plenty of dodgy stuff. The figures are pretty meaningless really. And their meaninglessness is demonstrated by a failure to convert this increase to increased attendance.

Crowds are poor - for a team making the 2nd last game last season, the crowds last year were very bad, this year they are just poor. Though about the same as for the 1991 premiership.

Sponsorship was marginally up for Season 2014, in gross terms, but down in percentage profit from sponsorship.

The team is running 10th. Yes, injuries have been harsh but that doesn't not make it any better.

The group assets have been reduced by more than $100m.

If you think things are running smoothly, think again.

Onfield things are running as smoothly as we could expect in the circumstances. We currently sit:

Under 20's - 1st, 3 points clear of second place
Reserve Grade - 1st, 3 points clear of second place
NRL - 11th, but only 2 points behind 5th place

Sure we're not doing aswell as we would have hoped this season. But we have had longterm injuries to all our key players.

Here's our "full strength" side according to what Ivan Cleary would be picking and the games they have missed:

1. Matt Moylan - 3 games (basically, he was injured 10 minutes into the Eels game) and will miss the next 8
2. Josh Mansour - 8 games, will likely miss more
3. Jamal Idris - 7 games, will miss the rest of the season
4. Dean Whare - 6 games
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - None
6. Jamie Soward - 7 games
7. Peter Wallace - 5 games (hopefully this increases through him being dropped)
8. Brent Kite - 7 games, will definitely be more. But I doubt many consider him a loss.
9. James Segeyaro - 3 games, will definitely be more.
10. Jeremy Latimore - None
11. Lewis Brown - 3 games
12. Tyrone Peachey - 2 games, but through suspension
13. Elijah Taylor - 2 games

14. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
- None
15. Sam McKendry - None
16. Bryce Cartwright - 1, although he was dropped I think
17. Isaah Yeo - 3, although i don't think he was part of our full strength side Originally. He has played 10 games though and would likely be there now.

Other injuries to guys who have played first grade this year for us:
George Jennings - 4 weeks minimum
Robert Jennings - 4 weeks minimum
Adam Docker - 6 weeks minimum
Nigel Plum - 5 weeks
Api Korisau - 1 or 2 weeks

Considering all the injuries we have had this season, and the affect those injuries have filtering down through to reserve grade and Under 20's, I think the club as a whole has done fantastic.

Our performances last year with injuries has probably increased our expectations through this years injury crisis. But would any other club look any better then us in the same circumstances? Our attack has gone to shit, but when you consider the amount of time our spine has missed this season, the amount of halves pairings we have had, the way our backline has been decimated with injury having our left side miss a huge chunk of the season together, our first choice backup left winger also injured, a fair few games with both centres out and so on.... I just think that we're pretty much performing how most clubs would in the circumstances.

Obviously we all want to do better. But we're losing players that are harder to replace to injury this year. We haven't had a run of 3 or 4 weeks where we kept the same team on the park to get familiar with each other and find some form. The last time we were even near full strength was Round 2, which we won 40-0. Our season went to shit when Soward picked up along term injury, and during his time on the sideline the other injuries started to mount. But even with all that, we're still only 2 points behind the 5th places Roosters.

darkbloom

Juniors
They are very fine justifying circumstances.

Of course the big question is whether the money spent, getting to much the same position as 5 years ago, has been well spent.

I don't mean money spent on players because that is largely covered by the NRL - I mean money spent on administration and support activities.

darkbloom

Juniors
Fortunately for the moment the Panthers bank of valuable properties & assets means Penrith could take over Parramatta.

soc123_au

Staff member
f**k that. As dire as we can sometimes be, I don't think we have found the lows that Parra keep digging to. Even Leary wouldn't have signed off on the "reported" Foran deal.

maple_69

Bench
Onfield things are running as smoothly as we could expect in the circumstances. We currently sit:

Under 20's - 1st, 3 points clear of second place
Reserve Grade - 1st, 3 points clear of second place
NRL - 11th, but only 2 points behind 5th place

Sure we're not doing aswell as we would have hoped this season. But we have had longterm injuries to all our key players.

Here's our "full strength" side according to what Ivan Cleary would be picking and the games they have missed:

1. Matt Moylan - 3 games (basically, he was injured 10 minutes into the Eels game) and will miss the next 8
2. Josh Mansour - 8 games, will likely miss more
3. Jamal Idris - 7 games, will miss the rest of the season
4. Dean Whare - 6 games
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - None
6. Jamie Soward - 7 games
7. Peter Wallace - 5 games (hopefully this increases through him being dropped)
8. Brent Kite - 7 games, will definitely be more. But I doubt many consider him a loss.
9. James Segeyaro - 3 games, will definitely be more.
10. Jeremy Latimore - None
11. Lewis Brown - 3 games
12. Tyrone Peachey - 2 games, but through suspension
13. Elijah Taylor - 2 games

14. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
- None
15. Sam McKendry - None
16. Bryce Cartwright - 1, although he was dropped I think
17. Isaah Yeo - 3, although i don't think he was part of our full strength side Originally. He has played 10 games though and would likely be there now.

Other injuries to guys who have played first grade this year for us:
George Jennings - 4 weeks minimum
Robert Jennings - 4 weeks minimum
Adam Docker - 6 weeks minimum
Nigel Plum - 5 weeks
Api Korisau - 1 or 2 weeks

Considering all the injuries we have had this season, and the affect those injuries have filtering down through to reserve grade and Under 20's, I think the club as a whole has done fantastic.

Our performances last year with injuries has probably increased our expectations through this years injury crisis. But would any other club look any better then us in the same circumstances? Our attack has gone to shit, but when you consider the amount of time our spine has missed this season, the amount of halves pairings we have had, the way our backline has been decimated with injury having our left side miss a huge chunk of the season together, our first choice backup left winger also injured, a fair few games with both centres out and so on.... I just think that we're pretty much performing how most clubs would in the circumstances.

Obviously we all want to do better. But we're losing players that are harder to replace to injury this year. We haven't had a run of 3 or 4 weeks where we kept the same team on the park to get familiar with each other and find some form. The last time we were even near full strength was Round 2, which we won 40-0. Our season went to shit when Soward picked up along term injury, and during his time on the sideline the other injuries started to mount. But even with all that, we're still only 2 points behind the 5th places Roosters.

BMM would be the next guy to get a run also and he's missed 8 odd games so our top 23 is already locked in for 110 games missed this year after just over half the season. At this rate we are on track to lose an entire 17 for half a season each. I'd be interested to see a comparison to Manly/Eels/Souths as well as Pebrith/Sharks/Tigers last year.

franklin2323

Immortal
They are very fine justifying circumstances.

Of course the big question is whether the money spent, getting to much the same position as 5 years ago, has been well spent.

I don't mean money spent on players because that is largely covered by the NRL - I mean money spent on administration and support activities.

Would you rather go back to then when Perth was making the finals over us in SG Ball?

Latest posts