What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundane Dodges A Belt(ing)...

Cupid Stunt

In the same way some so called girl named Ottke did, it seems a cold has flattened Mundane. Pensioner's couldnt do it but it seems the hard-hitting flu has stopped the fight. :p

My moneys on him realizing he's in for a whoopin' but hey, when running scared any excuse must worth a shot! :lol:

bucko

Juniors
I think he was just too scared to fight Eccles. I was really looking forward to this fight too, I'd just started gaining some respect for Mundine too...

Anonymous

Juniors
He's got the flu hasn't he? Other fights have been postponed for similar reasons. Have to say, I was looking forward to the fight as well.

Still, I'm curious why people think he's scared... I mean, what backs up this view?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
He's got the flu hasn't he? Other fights have been postponed for similar reasons. Have to say, I was looking forward to the fight as well.

Still, I'm curious why people think he's scared... I mean, what backs up this view?

He's got a pissy viral infection and Echols has been shot. Mundine's a joke.

Holyfeld fought Bowe in their third fight as crook as a dog. Mundine isn't the warrior Holyfield is.

Cupid Stunt

Whats the chance of him playing on Echols not being allowed back into the country after his court date? Given I dont know for sure that he'll be done for the gun thing but if so, with the trouble he had getting in here now, will he make it back? If not does that give Mundane an automatic anything or just a lesser opponent to fight?

On a side note, good on Taylor for standing up & saying he'd fight Echols. Sure he's a junkie, but he has balls of steel... :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Cupid Stunt said:
Whats the chance of him playing on Echols not being allowed back into the country after his court date? Given I dont know for sure that he'll be done for the gun thing but if so, with the trouble he had getting in here now, will he make it back? If not does that give Mundane an automatic anything or just a lesser opponent to fight?

On a side note, good on Taylor for standing up & saying he'd fight Echols. Sure he's a junkie, but he has balls of steel... :lol:

Echols is reportedly stying here which is odd seeing he's due in court.

Echols is the #1 rated contender by the WBA (Ottke is the champion) and Mundine is ranked #2 so I can't see how Mundine have any right to fight some bum for this 'world title' seeing he's #2.

bender

Juniors
El Duque said:
Willow said:

Holyfeld fought Bowe in their third fight as crook as a dog. Mundine isn't the warrior Holyfield is.

History is littered with fighters who fought with a viral infection and lost because of it. Mundine did the right thing. He will be doing well to beat Echols at full capacity. At half capacity he had next to no chance.

Mundine is smarter than people give him credit for. I know his chin is still very questionable and obviously you would expect Echols to knock him out but i think that he has a very good chance if he can prove his ability to take a punch. I will go so far as to say that if Mundine starts fast and doesnt get knocked out he will win. Big ifs, I know, but i would like to see it happen.

El Diablo

Post Whore
bender said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:

History is littered with fighters who fought with a viral infection and lost because of it. Mundine did the right thing. He will be doing well to beat Echols at full capacity. At half capacity he had next to no chance.

Mundine is smarter than people give him credit for. I know his chin is still very questionable and obviously you would expect Echols to knock him out but i think that he has a very good chance if he can prove his ability to take a punch. I will go so far as to say that if Mundine starts fast and doesnt get knocked out he will win. Big ifs, I know, but i would like to see it happen.

He wasn't at half capacity. Read what the Doctor said.

If Echols can fight with a bullet in him then Mundine can fight with a viral infection.

I just think it shows the guy hasn't got much ticker.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm not about to say I know whats going and I don't know if anyone here knows the extent of Mundine's infection. Imho, Boxing is glorified Dog Racing inasmuch that it is dodgy as hell, so who knows? We're all just speculating anyway.

If we are to assume that Mundine is playing for time and he has the leverage to postpone the fight, then he's simply doing the right thing by himself... these guys don't get too many shots at a title. Its certainly not the first time it's happened and as Bender pointed out, plenty of boxers have lost after going into fights while feeling crook.

And as usual, there's ample action happening outside of the ring. Echol's impending court case just adds to the drama.

Trojan Horse

Juniors
I also don't know exactly what happened, but Echols makes some fair comments regarding Mundine in this article from Saddoboxing

Mundine takes a battering

ANTWUN ECHOLS has questioned the toughness of Anthony Mundine, while "The Man's" camp is wearing a six-figure loss after the postponement of their super middleweight world title bout.

The fight has now been officially re-scheduled for September 3 after Mundine withdrew because of a viral infection.

Asked if he had a message for Mundine, Echols said: "Get well . . . soon."

Questioned whether he now thought less of Mundine, Echols said: "Not as a fighter but as a person I think he could have went forth with this fight if he had the heart of a lion as he said he did."

Echols said he would still have fought had he been suffering from the same complaint as Mundine, claiming the only three of his wins which weren't knockouts came when he had "colds and the sniffles".

"Last week at the press conference he let his mouth overload his behind and all the people that was behind him, he let them down because a true champion two days before the fight would not have done anything like this," Echols said.

Echols' attorney Lamont Jones said the boxer's camp had considered staying in Sydney until September 3 but some had family commitments.

Mundine's father Tony said yesterday his son was in bed obeying a "do nothing" instruction from Australian National Boxing Federation medical officer Lou Lewis, who said the stricken fighter would be able to resume training early next week.

Mundine sen. said it had been a big decision for he and Anthony to postpone the bout, but he didn't want his son going into the fight at "75 or 80 per cent, feeling no good" and "gasping for breath".

"Anthony is very disappointed, because there's a lot of stakes involved - TV and cancelling a lot of stuff," Tony Mundine said.

Manager Khoder Nasser said the Mundines were looking forward rather than back and accepted their losses.

"They've lost over $100,000, but in the end these things happen in boxing and you've got to take it," Nasser said.

A compensation package still had to be arranged for Echols.

Jones explained: "Antwun has been greatly inconvenienced, he's got to pay sparring partners, so he needs additional compensation to defray those sort of expenses."

August 06, 2003 - AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATED PRESS

Blade

Juniors
I see Mundine's point/s in this article for cancelling his bout with Antwun Echols recently -

Illness I had to have: Mundine
August 12, 2003 --- www.smh.com.au

A refreshed Anthony Mundine yesterday dismissed the conspiracy theories about his withdrawal from last week's super-middleweight world title bout as he resumed training for the rescheduled September 3 contest.

Mundine said the illness that forced him to withdraw just two days before his scheduled August 6 fight for the vacant World Boxing Association title against American Antwun Echols was a "fatigue-related virus" and he would have more tests in the next few days to discover whether it was still in his system.

Training for the first time in 10 days, Mundine ran for 40 minutes yesterday morning and did pad work and shadow boxing at his Redfern gym last night.

"I feel good, I feel a lot fresher, whereas before the last few weeks leading into the fight I was just mentally pushing myself to go, not wanting to go," Mundine said. "I knew there was something wrong when that was happening."

Mundine said he would build up his fitness before resuming sparring next week, hopefully with a "top-notch" Australian he would not name.

The 28-year-old said there would be little change to his preparation: "I will probably just freshen up a lot more, I probably won't do as much sparring."

He said the volume of work he did over the previous 10 weeks may have caused his illness.

"Maybe I overtrained. I did over 150 rounds of sparring, tons of road work and I think it was just meant to be, it's fate.

"God is telling me that the body is only human and you have to take a rest and really refocus on September 3 and getting your body as sharp as it felt in the first month of training."

He said in one sense the illness was the best thing that could have happened to him.

"The way I was feeling, I've never felt that way in my life and just feeling really down, my sleeping pattern was right out. I was really lethargic and tired all the time and I haven't had that bounce in my step," he said.

He dismissed a rumour he had a rib injury and other theories floated about the reason for the fight's postponement, which had cost him $150,000.

"Why would I waste $150,000 down the gurgler? If I didn't want to fight the guy, I wouldn't have signed the contract to fight him."