What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2006 Tri Nations Proposal

southsman

Juniors
Game 1 Australia vs England Aussie Stadium SYDNEY
Game 2 New Zealand vs England Erikson Stadium AUCKLAND
Game 3 New Zealand vs Australia Westpac Trust WELLINGTON
Game 4 England vs New Zealand Jade Stadium CHRISTCHURCH
Game 5 England vs Australia Telstra Dome MELBOURNE
Game 6 Australia vs New Zealand Dairy Farmers Stadium TOWNSVILLE
Final Winner of group vs 2nd in Group Suncorp Stadium BRISBANE

ozboy

Juniors
Your better off moving the Christchurch or Wellington game to Hamilton.

Parramatta have had some very good crowds there when they played the Warriors, and common sense will tell you they will get better and most probably sell out with the Kiwis playing.

Either of Sydney or Melbourne should be moved to Newcastle.

pcpp

Juniors
SalfordRedsWA said:
And what about fans in the rest of the country? So you'd be happy to leave Perth out as usual?!!!

So who would you like to leave out - Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne - the three biggest cities in the country and also these teams have rugby league teams.

As much as Townsville, Newcastle etc. would love an league international more than Melbourne or even Sydney, they're not going to get one. The Tri-Nations is the most important event for rugby league apart from the World Cup, and to maximize profit and continued development of the code, the games must be held in the major cities.

Ideally, my 2006 Tri-Nations comp would have 4 games in Australia and 2 in NZ. In the article I read on Fox sports, NZ were considering both Aus v NZ games in Australia, because they would make more money.

AU v NZ - Sydney
NZ v GB - Wellington
AU v GB - Brisbane
AU v GB - Melbourne
NZ v GB - Auckland
AU v NZ - Brisbane

(not in order)

Final - Sydney

Art Vanderlay

Juniors
What ever draw they come up with lets hope its tour/location freindly to the many Brits who will follow the GB team thus we will have better atmo at the games and this in turn will mean more locals will get to the games and support the teams and a bit of banter with the GB fans.

I also hope PNG get a bit of the action as well!
GB say they need warm up games PNG on the way? but then again GB havent played the so called lesser team on their back door(France) for many years!!

ozbash

Referee
Art Vanderlay said:
What ever draw they come up with lets hope its tour/location freindly to the many Brits who will follow the GB team thus we will have better atmo at the games and this in turn will mean more locals will get to the games and support the teams and a bit of banter with the GB fans.

I also hope PNG get a bit of the action as well!
GB say they need warm up games PNG on the way? but then again GB havent played the so called lesser team on their back door(France) for many years!!

agree, i liked the way the nz and oz teams got to play England and France between tri-nations games. got to be good for both teams as well as the opposition.
be good to see a couple of national teams come down under with the lions next year and spread the game around a bit ie png,perth,tasmania.

i reckon the tri-series should be expanded to a promotion/relegation series, the 3rd team gets bumped off and the winner of the euro challenge cup (France) promoted.

i think it would promote competition for a tri series spot. i wonder if a combined GB team is the answer, some say refining it down to 4 individual nations wouldweaken it but you would be returning the stars to the country of birth squads , thus strengthening them.

bender

Juniors
pcpp said:
So who would you like to leave out - Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne - the three biggest cities in the country and also these teams have rugby league teams.

As much as Townsville, Newcastle etc. would love an league international more than Melbourne or even Sydney, they're not going to get one. The Tri-Nations is the most important event for rugby league apart from the World Cup, and to maximize profit and continued development of the code, the games must be held in the major cities.

Ideally, my 2006 Tri-Nations comp would have 4 games in Australia and 2 in NZ. In the article I read on Fox sports, NZ were considering both Aus v NZ games in Australia, because they would make more money.

AU v NZ - Sydney
NZ v GB - Wellington
AU v GB - Brisbane
AU v GB - Melbourne
NZ v GB - Auckland
AU v NZ - Brisbane

(not in order)

Final - Sydney

From the original proposal.

I would leave out Sydney Definitely, they don't support international league and it would help draw massive publicity in Perth and Melbourne, the fact that Sydney missed out on a game. Perth should sub for Sydney. this would also ensure that Sydney get massive tv ratings.

It also wouldnt hurt to switch Auckland with Hamilton, as Auckland get plent of internationals.

Serious consideration should be given to subbing Gold Coast for Brisbane also. This would give the Gold Coast side the perfect boost and it would allow Brisbane to host the final which would almost certainly sell out before the participants were even decided (due to the fact that it is a final).

If NSW must get a game, it should be at Newcastle or Central Coast. Like when the TN went to GB, we need smaller venues that sell out, to maximise the long term viability of the Tri nations.

southsman

Juniors
I agree let's not go to huge venues. Look at the way GB do it. They didn't have any games in the group stage in big cities other than London (Loftus Road) . The rest at Huddesfield, Wigan and Hull. The final is in Leeds which is quiet big. Wigan is a good 30-45mins out of Manchester.
So maybe use a tactic like the GB. Get the grounds full but not have them at places that will be more seats empty than fiull. People go to games for atmosphere and empty stadiums produce little atmosphere. I can understand the final being played in Sydney or Brisbane but lets hope the RLIF choose Aussie stadium over the cash lucrative Telstra. Lets do it for the fans not the $$$$$. Would love to see a 20 000 + a=in Townsville go crazy over their Australians. Newcastle and Gosford make ideal locations too. Forget Perth and Adelaide as Melbourne will be a test and a further push for our game in non league territory.

I think it's important for the Kiwi's to have some home games and promote the game over there especially if they come home with the prize this year.

Does Canberra deserve a test??? Good stadium , some loyal fans.... Maybe consideration.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
pcpp said:

AU v NZ - Sydney
NZ v GB - Wellington
AU v GB - Brisbane
AU v GB - Melbourne
NZ v GB - Auckland
AU v NZ - Perth

(not in order)

Final - Sydney

Take it youre not arsed that NRL should expand then?

Rugby union do great efforts to promote and stage games AROUND the country, now they have a new club here in WA!

So you are also arrogant enough to deby the 1000's of fans over here of any international League? :x Take a trip away from Leagueland pal then see what its like!

Moffo

Referee
how could you leave sydney out? its the RL capital of the world

crazy suggestion IMO

bender

Juniors
Moffo said:
how could you leave sydney out? its the RL capital of the world

crazy suggestion IMO

Taking a guaranteed game away from Sydney means it might be encouraged to actually support the World Cup when it comes around in 2008. It isnt the Rugby League capital of the world, PNG, North Queensland Newcastle and even Brisbane all have far more interest (on a per capita basis) than Sydney ever has. there are a lot of RL fans theres, but they would be far better served by losing some big international games, until they are able to sell out their stadiums like they do for SOO or (quite embarassingly) Bledisloe Cup.

I'm all go for hosting a game in Hamilton..crowd figures were at a high when the Warriors had their pre-season game drawing in 22,000 on a Thursday night. Youd definitely get a sell-out if there were to be a Kiwis game at Waikato Stadium.

pcpp

Juniors
SalfordRedsWA said:
Take it youre not arsed that NRL should expand then?

Perth should be included in an awesome "Super League" that will emcompass teams from all across the country in front of massive crowds playing State of Origin quality games!

But seriously, I'd love Perth to be included in the NRL competition - definitely before Central Coast gets in. The foundation nor the support isn't there at the moment.

Rugby union do great efforts to promote and stage games AROUND the country, now they have a new club here in WA!

The NRL has started to trial games in Perth, so thats a start.

The ARL needs to build up support for international league in its heartlands/places with a team (Melb) before it even trials games in other major cities where the support may not be lasting.

So you are also arrogant enough to deby the 1000's of fans over here of any international League? :x Take a trip away from Leagueland pal then see what its like!

Don't be a moron.

Just because Perth isn't in my "proposal" for next years Tri-Nations, it doesn't mean that I hate Perth and everything to do with it. Perth won't get a game next year and I will have nothing to do with it when it happens.

I do hope, however, that Perth do get several games in the 08 World Cup, but in a tournament where only 3, perhaps 4 games can be scheduled for Australia, Perth isn't an option in the minds of the ARL.

Latest posts