What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Andrew Voss Interview

dG

Juniors
G'Day guys...I'm a new poster here...aaaanyway.

I work on radio, hosting a saturday sport show, anyway one of our contacts is the one and only Andrew Voss...so on Sat the 13th I called him in the morn and asked if he wanted to do an interview about the game...went for about 15-20 min, and if u guys are interested, I can give u the details...if not, I will save myself the typing.

Cheers

StHelens

Juniors
Welcome to the board, spill the beans then (although I can't imagine him having much to say about it) :D :-k

dG

Juniors
- Well, he first talked about how he was roped into the project - Sidhe approached him, no reason given for choosing Him over say Ray Warren.
- He would like to see a Sterlo or a Gus gould in the next game giving expert commentary, decnt stuff...on pst tries and half time stats, etc.
- He said it felt like being in a mental home being in the dimly lit, cramped room recording 5000 lines
- Even on the day that he arrived to record, they were still editing the lines he was to read
- The line "The ref's eyes must be painted on" (or there abouts) was not scripted, he just said it, and itw as placed in the game (he found out when playing it)
- he recieved no advance copy, and the night prior to the interview he was playing the game at his house with the referee in the game (steven price???)
- He said that the video ref would have taken an extra 3 months of development to be implimented, but wil be in the next game
- There is already talk of the salary cap being in the next game (probable franchise mode??)
- He believes that there will be even more stats and numbers in the next game
- EA Tried to buy out (either HES or SIDHE) once they saw the enormous popularith for the game, but they didnt want to, which he was happy with.
- He says this game shits on (not in those words) AFL and RUGBY 2004, both of which he has played and didnt like
- He says that the commentary editing in this game is much better than in the aformentioned games, and that is a testament to SIDHE.
- He says there are too many Sin Binnings in a game where it is rare to see 5 or so in a season. He also says there are probably to many scrums in the game
- He wishes he recorded more half time and post match analysis' as they wear thin very quickly
- Considering the size of SIDHE and the time to make the game, it is an amazing effort
- He doesn't know where "These pretzels are making me thirsty" will appear in the game, if at all.
- He says that while some lines will repeat, it is far fewer than in many games out there. Also the patching together to make sentances is not as shabby as many games.
- He has been given no word on whether or not he would be involved in the next game, but if SIDHE asked him to do it again, he would love to.

Well...i think that is about all of it...if there is more, and there probably is...and I remeber it, I will let u guys know...But yeah...is thee any new info there?

Cheers

dG

Juniors
A Coffs Harbour station - 104.1, yes its the same frequency as Sydney's 2Day FM...but they are not connected.

HBG

Juniors
I heard that Rabbits was asked back half a dozen times, which may explain his hesitancy. He did a great job. His commentary is better than ARL 96.

Timmo

Juniors
Yeah, Vossy told me that doing the commentry was tiring work and was actually quite strenuous on his voice!
I guess this is a good place to plug Vossy's book which is coming out some time in 2004... You should all buy it... Plus it is illustrated by yours truly.

Vossy is a legend.

axl rose

Bench
dG said:
- EA Tried to buy out (either HES or SIDHE) once they saw the enormous popularith for the game, but they didnt want to, which he was happy with.

hmm interesting, Mario can you comment on this?

XBOX Kid

Juniors
dG said:
- - EA Tried to buy out (either HES or SIDHE) once they saw the enormous popularith for the game, but they didnt want to, which he was happy with.

Thank bloddy goodness...if those money hungry bastards bought HES/SIDHE they would've killed the series there and then

Timmo

Juniors
Yeah, Vossy told me that EA Sports tried to buy the rights off of HES/Sidhe. This is particularly humourous since people have been emailing and writing to EA Sports for years and years asking them to make a computer game but they always say "Not enough demand"... now who's laughing!? :D/

Paullyboy

Coach
Im certainly glad they didnt delay this release 3 months for a video ref, it is just a bell and whistle feature which would lose its appeal in a matter of minutes

Goleel

Juniors
I don't think they should waste three months of development time next time around just to put it in the game, either, its an absolute waste of resources, especially when so much else can be done.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
But it would be fun seeing if you have scored or not on replay and hopefully there would be more animations (as if there isn't already enough) so it wouldn't look the same everytime you look at the video ref on the replay.

ghoti

Bench
Goleel said:
I don't think they should waste three months of development time next time around just to put it in the game, either, its an absolute waste of resources, especially when so much else can be done.

I believe Mario, as managing director, will work a way around it. I think it's a necessity that SIDHE increase their team size and hav a 'mini-team' working on the Video Ref whilst the rest of the team works improvements to the engine, franchise mode, proper player likenesses, etc.

Latest posts