What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My favourite bicep workout.

Cliffhanger

Coach
They're called towel curls and not the type using dumbbells or kettle balls you only use a towel and your own body resistance.
2011-10-06 10.50.23.jpg

Sorry about the low picture quality. Basically what you do is get a towel and hold one corner with your left hand and the corner diagonally across from that one with your right. Then put your foot through the loop in the middle (either foot) stand against the wall and pull the towel up, but while you're pulling press down with your leg so your leg is resisting the force of your arms while you're pulling up.During the motion only your forearms should move, your elbows remain at your sides. Then lower your leg while your arms are offering resistance to your leg.

Done right this is extremely effective, and if you're finding it too easy you're not doing it right, because it is you creating the resistance. It may take some getting used to because you're relying on workings your own body's resistance against itself but I've been doing bicep curls chin ups and pull ups for a few years and this workout destroys my arms and forearms.

Enjoy!

Danish

Referee
Looking at that picture I feel like I should be yelling "Tally Ho!!!" while completing this exercise

Joker's Wild

Coach
I steer clear of bicep curls because I hate isolation exercises

These look like they would work not only your biceps but also your legs and core too. Might give them a try

dogslife

Coach
Unless you're a beginner, I reckon you need to incorporate isolation exercises, you won't make solid gains on compound exercises alone

Unless you're a beginner, I reckon you need to incorporate isolation exercises, you won't make solid gains on compound exercises alone

Agree; but I still think you can make solid gains through compound workouts with out isolated.

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
I think I worded that poorly. Beginners will make gains regardless. If you've been going at it a while you'll still make strength gains, but I find you get more size/definition incorporating isolation exercises. It's up to the individual I suppose

Joker's Wild

Coach
Thats a bit of a myth dogs

Sure, if you want massive biceps and nothing else, then isolating them is the way to go. However if you want bigger arms in general, then you need to work the triceps, forearms and even into the delts to get a well rounded look. Engaging more muscles ups the amount of energy used too and leads to better fat burning potential, giving you better definition. Isolating a muscle or muscle group will make them bigger but you will only get better definition if you strip the fat from around them.

From a performance standpoint too, compound moves work all the muscles in unison creating stronger and more coordinated movements and allow for much better gains in speed and power.

Only bodybuilders and athletes rehabing an injury really need to isolate muscle or muscle groups. Each to their own though

Thats a bit of a myth dogs

Sure, if you want massive biceps and nothing else, then isolating them is the way to go. However if you want bigger arms in general, then you need to work the triceps, forearms and even into the delts to get a well rounded look. Engaging more muscles ups the amount of energy used too and leads to better fat burning potential, giving you better definition. Isolating a muscle or muscle group will make them bigger but you will only get better definition if you strip the fat from around them.

From a performance standpoint too, compound moves work all the muscles in unison creating stronger and more coordinated movements and allow for much better gains in speed and power.

Only bodybuilders and athletes rehabing an injury really need to isolate muscle or muscle groups. Each to their own though

I see what you're saying and I agree with it, but an increase in muscle mass will in turn increase fat metabolism, so you will get greater definition because of the loss of fat by increasing your muscle mass.

I also agree that people the average joe+ athletes should be training for functionality; whilst body builders train for look.

In the end I think there is no right or wrong answer here, in fitness and in health there is always going to be different interpretations placed on methods; no use in getting into a debate.

Agree to disagree. :D

Cliffhanger

Coach
I don't really do these any more. Become pretty anti isolated stuff. I do pull ups, bent over rows, renegade rows, supine rows, etc instead, I end up hitting my lats as well.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm mostly doing rows, pull ups and lat pulldowns for biceps at the moment.

Usually finish a session with a few quick isolation exercises incl bicep curls, just for fatigue

Cliffhanger

Coach
Do more pullups for fatigue. Curls are seriously a waste of time unless in a rehabilitation setting. Honestly I don't even think body builders need them.

I always work back, chest and arms in the same sesh using agonist antagonist supersets with active recovery. It smashes you, and if it doesn't your intensity isn't high enough.

adamkungl

Immortal
Do more pullups for fatigue. Curls are seriously a waste of time unless in a rehabilitation setting. Honestly I don't even think body builders need them.

I always work back, chest and arms in the same sesh using agonist antagonist supersets with active recovery. It smashes you, and if it doesn't your intensity isn't high enough.

By that point im too dead to do any passable number of pullups. And you know I prefer chatting-on-smartphone-recovery ;-)