What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ideas for the 2004 draw

LeagueNut

First Grade
Two things I would like to see next year:

1 - Next year will be the tenth season for both the Cowboys & Warriors, so maybe both clubs could 're-enact' their first ever clashes in Round 1 - Warriors vs Broncos and Cowboys vs Bulldogs.

2 - I suggested this to the NRL last year and they told me I had gotten in too late, but maybe they'll pick it up this year - a premiership round made up entirely of Grand Finals from previous years.
You could have:
Newcastle vs Parramatta, 2001
Melbourne vs St George Illawarra, 1999
Sydney Roosters vs NZ Warriors, 2002
Penrith vs Canberra, 1990 & 91
Brisbane vs Canterbury, 1998
Manly vs Cronulla, 1973 & 78
Wests Tigers vs Souths (Balmain vs Souths, 1969)

Those are my ideas anyway ... feel free to add your own!

dimitri

First Grade
i have an idea

include plenty of test matches

and in 2007 perhaps a world cup would be a good idea

Matt23

Staff member
Another idea...copy the AFL and have a heritage week, and have teams playing on their old strips?

Canterbury

Juniors
dimitri said:
i have an idea

include plenty of test matches

and in 2007 perhaps a world cup would be a good idea

yeah by then England & New Zeland and one other nation should be around the standard of Australia.

Then we could add 16 other nothing teams [ala rugby union style] and they could make up the numbers [ala rugby union style]

AuckMel

Bench
Canterbury said:
yeah by then England & New Zeland and one other nation should be around the standard of Australia.

Play them on a regular basis and watch the gap close.

Moffo

Referee
LeagueNut said:
Two things I would like to see next year:

1 - Next year will be the tenth season for both the Cowboys & Warriors, so maybe both clubs could 're-enact' their first ever clashes in Round 1 - Warriors vs Broncos and Cowboys vs Bulldogs.

2 - I suggested this to the NRL last year and they told me I had gotten in too late, but maybe they'll pick it up this year - a premiership round made up entirely of Grand Finals from previous years.
You could have:
Newcastle vs Parramatta, 2001
Melbourne vs St George Illawarra, 1999
Sydney Roosters vs NZ Warriors, 2002
Penrith vs Canberra, 1990 & 91
Brisbane vs Canterbury, 1998
Manly vs Cronulla, 1973 & 78
Wests Tigers vs Souths (Balmain vs Souths, 1969)

Those are my ideas anyway ... feel free to add your own!

Great idea, id email the NRL with that one actually

Id like to see the teams playing in their old strips for one week. That'd be good

And perhaps a double header featuring the 2 biggest derbies in Sydney, Dogs v Eels and Dragons v Sharks

Cheers,
Moffo

Moffo said:
Great idea, id email the NRL with that one actually

Id like to see the teams playing in their old strips for one week. That'd be good

And perhaps a double header featuring the 2 biggest derbies in Sydney, Dogs v Eels and Dragons v Sharks

Cheers,
Moffo

Yeah i agree, i like the idea of the double header. You would get great crowds for that weekend if it happened.

dimitri

First Grade

Then we could add 16 other nothing teams [ala rugby union style] and they could make up the numbers [ala rugby union style]

i agree

the ruwc is more of a joke than the rlwc

the only difference is they force the media to say nice things about it

and their commentators continually say how good 100-0 smashings are

Big Bunny

Juniors
Matt23 said:
Another idea...copy the AFL and have a heritage week, and have teams playing on their old strips?

Good idea but the ARL did that long before the AFL ever thought of it.

A few things I would like to see are:

The Grand Finalists always kick the season off.

Souths vs. St.George-Illawarra twice every season, so that it continues on from the charity shield as a 3 game series. This would boost the event for both clubs home games. Parra vs. Penrith, twice every season. The same with other derbies.

Every club to play 1 home game in a development area including Perth, Adelaide, PNG and New Caledonia. (whichever club draws PNG would have the trip offset by NRL funds)

Match of the round. The NRL to hire Aussie Stadium and to dictate which Sydney team hosts a match of the round there. NRL tickets and season tickets to be available to fans so that they can attend all of these key matchups and help build a regular high profile match at one venue, similar to what the AFL does with the MCG. Clubs would receive a set fee with any extras or below par earnings being on the NRL's head.

Fans who hold season tickets to their club should be allowed to apply for a pass that allows them to attend any other NRL game for $2 or $15 per family. Currently away fans make up a small percentage of people attending games and we need to get it to the point where those numbers are booste greatly.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think one thing the NRL has do do that AFL does is have some of the lower place teams more frequently on TV.

Tthe friday night game and sunday afternoon game are always expected to get the largest crowds of the week (well most of the time). Lets' assume on the same weekend the tigers play souths and the broncos are playing the bulldogs at suncorp. Whatever day and time the dogs V bris game is scheduled at it's almost guaranteed to get a large crowd. So instead of having them play on a friday night have them play on a saturday night and schedule the tigers V souths game for friday night. This way you assure yourself of a decent crowd (hopefully 20k instead of say 10k) and secondly the local sydney rivalry will ensure that the TV rating are kept high.

In-goal

Bench
I realy like the original post.

No more Double Headers they totaly devalue RL as a spectator sport.

I agree that all rivals should have to play twice each season to help stimulate crowds.

NRL memberships are a must, these would also entitle the holder to cheaper SOO tickets and test tickets.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Aren't the NRL considering having Penrith V Roosters round 1 at Telstra Stadium for one of the matches of the double header?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I hope that stupid Canadian computer company doesnt do the draws next year, I hate it when you play the same team twice in 3 weeks. How is it possible that the Sharks got 2 byes in the first 7 rounds of the competition and the Bulldogs didnt get a bye round 18. Disgraceful

Bengal

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Matt23 said:

Good idea but the ARL did that long before the AFL ever thought of it.

A few things I would like to see are:

The Grand Finalists always kick the season off.

Souths vs. St.George-Illawarra twice every season, so that it continues on from the charity shield as a 3 game series. This would boost the event for both clubs home games. Parra vs. Penrith, twice every season. The same with other derbies.

Every club to play 1 home game in a development area including Perth, Adelaide, PNG and New Caledonia. (whichever club draws PNG would have the trip offset by NRL funds)

Match of the round. The NRL to hire Aussie Stadium and to dictate which Sydney team hosts a match of the round there. NRL tickets and season tickets to be available to fans so that they can attend all of these key matchups and help build a regular high profile match at one venue, similar to what the AFL does with the MCG. Clubs would receive a set fee with any extras or below par earnings being on the NRL's head.

Fans who hold season tickets to their club should be allowed to apply for a pass that allows them to attend any other NRL game for $2 or $15 per family. Currently away fans make up a small percentage of people attending games and we need to get it to the point where those numbers are booste greatly.

I like your last idea.

Grand finalists starting the season off has its merits, but I reckon it should be saved for later on in the season when crowds are a later harder to come by.