What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Mid-Season break concept!

CapitalRaider

Juniors
So clubs have to wait until the end of season to negotiate with the best players once they have no money left, yet they can sign the average and crap ones mid season?

Seems that way to me too.

Can't exclude the best players from negotiations, clubs look for the cream first.

Disco

Bench
The best players are not excluded, they can negotiate through there managers if they want.

Nd how many off contract Origin players are we talking each year?

5 or 6?

Eels Dude

Coach
Regardless of how many, those will be the high profile players off the market and clubs will want to negotiate with them first before moving onto the lesser players.

The other problem with this idea is that it increases the chances of players joining rival codes or the ESL. Players who want to wrap their futures up early will not be able to sign with rival NRL clubs, but there's nothing to stop them signing deals with AFL, RU, or an ESL club.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The best players are not excluded, they can negotiate through there managers if they want.

Nd how many off contract Origin players are we talking each year?

5 or 6?

Considering there are 40-50 players that play origin in any given year and the average NRL contract length is 3 years, I'd say your guessing of the numbers is way off. It doesn't change the fact that irrespective of whether it's 1 player or 50... Your logic is significantly flawed.

You have broken the entire basis around how contract negotiations operate under the salary cap.

Let's see, beyond what has been repeatedly stated:

I, personally, don't like the idea of players openly negotiating with other teams during the season. It just seems wrong. It is one thing if it is obvious that a player is leaving the team for one reason or another, but I just get unsettled when he's playing for a team that he knows he is leaving against a team that he knows he is joining. Creating a purposeful window for this seems even worse.

Also, would the All-Stars work without Origin players?

Disco

Bench
Considering there are 40-50 players that play origin in any given year and the average NRL contract length is 3 years, I'd say your guessing of the numbers is way off.

A significant portion of elite players dont go onto the open market

Canard

Immortal
Disco

I like to understand why you think the comp needs to be suspended for any contract stuff to occur? And what benefits do you see from this?

Surely if a break was needed the most obvious one would be the existing one between October and March every season?

Disco

Bench
Disco

I like to understand why you think the comp needs to be suspended for any contract stuff to occur? And what benefits do you see from this?

Surely if a break was needed the most obvious one would be the existing one between October and March every season?

The comp is suspended for SOO with contract negotiations being a convenient tie in