What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My QLD Team

ethos

Live Update Team
01. Hunt
02. Tate / Slater
03. Hodges
04. Tonga
05. Inglis
06. Lockyer
07. Thurston
08. Civoniceva
09. Smith
10. Price
11. Crocker
12. Webb (pending fitness)
13. Johnson

14. Berrigan
15. Thaiday
16. Carroll
17. Ross

18. Carlaw

icewind

Juniors
ehos nice side. very close to my side. No 17 is probably the only debateable, with your no 18 roaring into contention, plus i think qld would do well picking the more mobile Carlaw (nowadays) than Ross.

icewind

Juniors
Pistol said:
Hunt
Tate
Hodges
Bell
Inglis
Lockyer
Thurston
Price
Smith
Thaiday
Carroll
Johnson

Ross
Berrigan
Carlaw
Myles

I know we'll go well, but should we really rub it in their noses by only playing 16 players and having 12 on the field?

fourxman

Juniors
As far as i see it these are the players you would consider if there were no injuries: Shaun Berrigan, Dane Carlaw, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Darren Lockyer, Corey Parker, David Stagg, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday, Brad Thorn, Ben Ross, Josh Hannay, Neville Costigan, Scott Logan, William Zillman, Michael Crocker, Cooper Cronk, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Dallas Johnson, Antonio Kaufusi, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Steve Bell, Brenton Bowen, Matthew Bowen, Paul Bowman, Ashley Graham, Jacob Lillyman, Aaron Payne, Matthew Scott, Jonathan Thurston, Shane Tronc, Carl Webb, Ty Williams, Willie Tonga, PJ Marsh, Tim Smith, Daniel Wagon, Shannon Hegarty, Ashley Harrison, Chris Beattie, Chris Flannery, Danny Nutley, Nate Myles, Brad Meyers, Gavin Cooper, Scott Prince, Matt Rogers, Chris Walker, Steve Price

The Team i would have if fit would be:

1. Matt Bowen
2. Billy Slater
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Ty Williams
6. Darren Lockyer (C)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Michael Crocker
12. Carl Webb
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Shaun Berrigan
15. Sam Thaiday
16. Antonio Kaufusi
17. Jacob Lillyman

18. Dane Carlaw
19. Neville Costigan
20. Nate Myles

Pistol

Coach
icewind said:
I know we'll go well, but should we really rub it in their noses by only playing 16 players and having 12 on the field?

:lol: i'll pay that.

simply an oversight leaving out the civ

Dazzat

First Grade
1. Bowen
2. Inglis
3. Tonga
4. Hodges
5. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civ
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Thaiday
12. Crocker
13. Johnson

14. Kafusi
15. Webb
16. Carroll
17. Berrigan

lzd

Juniors
yawn said:
centres need to be good defensively. u r the conservatives with your 1 back, 3 forward bench imo. do u think all those.

i c tate n slater as similar style of players.

i c hodges as in between

i c inglis,bowen, lockyer thurston, hunt as similar.

ne1 else c it like this?

not me, tate and slater are nothing alike. slater is quality, tate is the center you never want to play outside of. slater's support play is exceptional and he is more than capable of setting up someone outside him. tate runs with his head down and his chin out. if he makes that qld team, it will be for a lack of viable alternatives.

hodges is better than both in nearly all facets of play.

inglis is a genious who should not be playing 5/8. i doubt he will start another game there and matt geyer will shift - melbourne have played their best football all season when he has come into 5/8.

hunt is in the same mould as bowen, wesser, inglis and slater. all have questionable defence, like to take risks and therefore can be exciting but equally can cause headaches. for the record, wesser is the best defender. if you pick players from this group (with the exception of inglis) you pick purely on form and at this stage you'd have to pick bowen.

so back on topic. Qld's backline should feature M.Bowen, Inglis, Bell, Hodges, Slater, Lockyer, Thurston. Shaun Berrigan on the bench.

Civoniceva, Price, Tronc and Kaufuisi are pretty much a lock as the 4 man prop rotation. That leaves 4 backrow spots, of which Crocker and Johnson have two locked up, leaving two free to be competed for.

andrew057

First Grade
01. Hunt
02. Slater
03. Hodges
04. Berrigan
05. Inglis
06. Lockyer
07. Thurston
08. Petro
09. Smith
10. Price
11. Crocker
12. Johnson
13. Carrol

14. Kafusi
15. Webb
16. Thaiday
17. Bowen

That would be my ideal team. Hunt deserves the fullback position IMO, but theres no way I could or anyone for that matter could leave Bowen out, so Id move Berrigan into the centres, although he hasnt played there for a while, he did play for Australia in the centres, is one of the best defenders in the game. Now unless Bell or Tonga have a SPECTACULAR run into SOO time I cant put them in the team at the moment.

Forwards are still a bit open, only definites imo if healthy are, Smith, Petro, Price, Crocker. Webb or Thiaday could be broguht into the second row to add a bit of size, but I see no need.

emil1989

Juniors
Ghoulies said:
1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Hodges
4. Tonga
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. Carroll
13. Johnson

14. Berrigan
15. Carlaw
16. Ross
17. Logan/Lillyman

very good team but i wouldn't have thaiday starting..my team would look like this:

1 hunt- will perform..not risky but can be a match winner
2 tate--proven performer
3 hodges--what is there to say?unbelievable
4 bell/tonga--both are good and it will come down to the wire with these two..
5 inglis-- unbelievable finisher and try scorer
6 lockyer--best player in the game
7 thurston--second best player in the game..what more could u want from halves
8 civoniceva--best front rower by long shot
9 smith--reliable, creative
10 price--high work rate and always goes forward
11 crocker--aggressor, wonderful ball runner and very ferocious
12 caroll--best hitter and defender in the game
13 johnson--high work rate and will go and go and go all night

14 berrigan--game breaker
15 kaufusi--international and is part of one of the best teams in the comp..underrated
16 myles/carlaw--carlaw is in good touch and will b good impact..as for myles, anything could happen
17 thaiday--impact player and speed,strength,power,agility could work well at the end of each half

i think this team would best perform together and all have experience..queensland is in the driving seat and dont need to take any risks such as falou,slater,bowen or wesser on the wing or danny nutley in the forwards...

lzd

Juniors
Is it just me? I cannot for the life of me believe the amount of support there is for Dane Carlaw. He is rubbish and is going no better than he has in previous seasons. A big mobile forward with plenty of potential but continually fails to deliver on any of it.

I thought it was just the Qld selectors who went with the "if in doubt pick a bronco policy". It seems plenty of fans subscribe to that theory too. Might pay to check the points table and see who is 1/5 and then try and figure out why that might be, given that most people on here seem to think they are worthy of 8-9 players in the origin side? Comments like "proven performer", "in good touch" are words I would struggle to use to describe any Broncos player at the moment.

Bowen, Slater, Hodges, Bell, Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston, Price, Smith, Civoniceva, Crocker, Webb, Johnson. RES: Berrigan, Tronc, Kaufuisi, ???

that is a side which will tear apart anything NSW can throw at us, both on past form and current. I've left a bench spot open because in my opinion, no-one else is really standing up at the moment. I don't believe Nutley will be available for selection. And there is no way known I could contemplate picking Carroll, Carlaw or Thaiday (all playing rubbish football, and I don't buy into any of them being proven performers except maybe Caroll but he is well past his use by date). Nor could I make a case for Nate Myles - he was IMO Qlds best forward last year, but since moving to the Roosters he is not a patch on the player he was last season. The best of the rest are mostly props, and that side is big enough as is so I'd rather see another back rower put their hand up in the interim. Ashley Harrison will be one to watch closely to see if he can turn the Roosters fortunes around since coming back on Monday night. Would definitely pick him if in form.

emil1989

Juniors
yeh lets all pick webb who plays 5 games a year and tronc whos as slow and soft as my grandma...mate im not sure if u put thought into that team of urs but bowen is a joke...never seen him perform in a rep game for a whole 80 minutes..if he is in the team he'd come off the bench for the last 20 mins of a game like he used to...if slater was in the team he'd be at fullback and nowhere else cos everytime he's run back from the wing he gets smashed and his a bit too short to be playing on the wing...if its not hunt at fullback it wont be bowen or slater..itll be inglis...think logically

lzd

Juniors
emil1989 said:
yeh lets all pick webb who plays 5 games a year and tronc whos as slow and soft as my grandma...mate im not sure if u put thought into that team of urs but bowen is a joke...never seen him perform in a rep game for a whole 80 minutes..if he is in the team he'd come off the bench for the last 20 mins of a game like he used to...if slater was in the team he'd be at fullback and nowhere else cos everytime he's run back from the wing he gets smashed and his a bit too short to be playing on the wing...if its not hunt at fullback it wont be bowen or slater..itll be inglis...think logically

yep, you're right. i put no time into it. thanks for your feedback.

(hint: next time read the rest of the thread first and then I won't have to regurgitate my reasons for picking players)

(another hint: picking a player in a position he has not played in for over a year is questionable logic at best, stupidity at worst)

lockyno1

Post Whore
lzd said:
Bowen, Slater, Hodges, Bell, Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston, Price, Smith, Civoniceva, Crocker, Webb, Johnson. RES: Berrigan, Tronc, Kaufuisi, ??? .

Bowen- no hope, barring injury Karmichael Hunt will be fullback

Slater- bugger no hope on the wing, Brent Tate will be one winger

Hodges- yep

Bell- I'd rather Inglis at centre, he is wasted on the wing

Inglis- I have put him at centre, wing spot should come down to Steve Micheals, Ashley Graham, posibly Ty Williams as he is back playing now, Mat Rogers is another option.

Lockyer- yep

Thurston- yep

Price- yep

smith- yep

civo- yep

crocker- yep

webb- won't be back in time, thaiday to start, they won't risk webb for game 1.

johnson- yes

res:

berrigan- yes

tronc- you f..king kidding me. Nowhere near origin material, ben ross for mine

Kaufusi- possibly although his form has been patchy, don't be surprised if carroll gets this spot

no17- carlaw for mine, although someone like Scott Prince could get on the bench depending on their preferred bench lineup.

Bowen- no hope, barring injury Karmichael Hunt will be fullback

Why?.Bowen is far better in defence & streets ahead in attack.. cutie is the worst defensive fullback in the comp..... Shouldn't matter anyway.cutie will still be recovering from meeting Frank & Sonny on fri night.

Slater- bugger no hope on the wing, Brent Tate will be one winger

Yeh cause Tate is playing so much better than Slater

wing spot should come down to Steve Micheals,
Geez have you forgotton about Darius already?

Half the team Broncos...yeh they are playing well. & after they get touched up by the knights this week & flogged by the Storm next week they will be 1 win from 7,yet you will still expect the qld team to be full of overated out of form cellar dwellers.

Sure you can't find room for Lacey,Carroll,Hannant,Perry &Boyd?

Mr Saab

Referee
Will you be going for the kiwis on friday night Dazza?
Death riding every touch of the ball by Hunt?

Of course you will

Ghoulies

Bench
dazza62 said:
Why?.Bowen is far better in defence & streets ahead in attack.. cutie is the worst defensive fullback in the comp..... Shouldn't matter anyway.cutie will still be recovering from meeting Frank & Sonny on fri night.
Gee, you love your international footy don't you? The two best sides in the world face off and you're creaming yourself over the possibilties of a fullback getting smashed by two backrowers.

And to think, I was about to call you an idiot.

Yeh cause Tate is playing so much better than Slater
No, because Tate has proven he can play wing at that level. It'd be unfair on Slater to expect him to defend in a position where he's already had his fair share of defensive lapses.

Half the team Broncos...yeh they are playing well. & after they get touched up by the knights this week & flogged by the Storm next week they will be 1 win from 7,yet you will still expect the qld team to be full of overated out of form cellar dwellers.
So it's not just about Hunt anymore for you, eh? All Broncos are now hacks. :lol:

Premiers in 2006, daz. Maybe one day when the Cows win a comp you'll actually be able to understand that winning a comp earns the players a fair bit of credit in the eyes of selectors.

Lowdown

Juniors
I reckon, that barring injury and form is maintained, the side below will be picked for Origin I:

1. Bowen
2. Slater
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Bell
6. Locker
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. C.Smith
10. Price
11. Crocker
12. Thaiday
13. D.Johnson

14. Kaufusi
15. Webb
16. Ben Ross
17. Berrigan

lockyno1

Post Whore
I really do have concerns about Webb UNLESS he plays AT LEAST 1-2 games before Origin. Origin is 10 times quicker than a normal game, and without match fitness I have concerns.