1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Mythbusters: "Widdop will be the new Adam Blair"

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by grouch, Aug 13, 2013.

1. grouch

grouch First Grade

I've read this garbage comment a few times and am suitably outraged enough to start a thread to debunk the myth. The key synopsis appears to be that Widdop will prove a flop just like Blair because the so-called big 3 make him look good. Here is my key mythbusting facts countdown! :crazy:

3. Edge forwards are more likely to gain benefit than a half.

The hooker and halves helped create holes for edge forwards such as Blair to run into. He is directly benefiting from their work. Widdop indirectly benefits, but it is also incumbent upon him to be part of the hole creating process. ie He needs to do more.

2. "Spine" players released by Melbourne have excelled at other clubs.

Greg Inglis played a season at five eighth for Melbourne, and is now a key member of the Souths spine as well as being the best player in the game. James Maloney played five-eighth for Melbourne, and is now a key member of the competition front runner's spine, as well as an origin player. Maloney only played a handful of games. Widdop has had several full seasons, has Test match experience and is even YOUNGER than Maloney.

1. For every Adam Blair there is a Jeremy Smith.

Leaving Melbourne did not sound the death knell for some player's careers. Jeremy Smith won a comp with us. Israel Folau is doing ok. Steve Bell and Matt Orford won a comp with Manly. Aiden Tolman. Brett White. Mick Crocker. Nathan Friend. Robbie Rochow. The list goes on.

I think Widdop may take a while to find top form with a new team, especially following his bad injury. But hopefully this myth is put to bed :D

2. Dezziedc

Dezziedc Juniors

Wait for it....

3. saint.nick

saint.nick Coach

Good post. Your first point is exactly what I'm trying to get through to some knuckleheads who chuck out the big 3 benefit excuse. Widdop and Blair are just incomparable. Widdop is a half, so he's the one along the big 3 who are creating those opportunities for the storm's forwards to look good in the first place. So I can't understand the logic behind belief he's made to look good, because his position dictates that he himself must make himself look like a good player.

4. _Johnsy

_Johnsy Referee

He's every inch a footballer. He'll be fine.

5. jenninga

jenninga First Grade

This myth is what it is ,a myth and bullsh*t.
    Widdop has proved he can play without the 3 and has excelled during the Origin period in the past.

6. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

He'll be fine,i think it is worth noting that when he got injured the storm have struggled without him.Even cam smith made a comment about his loss & how important he is to their team.Sure they have the big three but they are a much better team when he is there.As long as he recovers from his injury he'll be great for us.

7. TheRev

TheRev First Grade

Hes a great player, whether he can be a superstar under Price is yet to be seen.

The huge disclaimer however... is how he recovers from his hip injury, i.e. if he loses a chunk of speed it will greatly reduce his effectiveness.. he will still be good, but the great halves tear make their break and go on with it.

8. hardbaby

hardbaby Coach

Fantastic signing and the next captain...

9. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Juniors

Widdop's best position is fullback

The strange thing is that the Dragons signed Beale to play fullback. Then they signed Widdop to play in the halves when his best position is fullback. Then they signed Dugan to play fullback. And all this time there is a good young fullback already at the club in Evander Cummins

Too many fullbacks not enough halves

10. grouch

grouch First Grade

Sounds like another myth that needs busting... I'll throw this one over to my premiership-winning assistants:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Mr Red

Mr Red First Grade

Widdop has already been brushing up on the dragon's play book during his time off with injury:
    [​IMG]

12. saint.nick

saint.nick Coach

We'd love it if he wrote some secret Bellamy pearls of wisdom in there...

13. Dea

Dea Juniors

He is a great signing around which we can and are building a team. I'm hopeful and excited about the future as we rebuild our roster.