What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name revealed on Thursday night

coldhardbitch

Juniors
Putting polish on local talent
20Sep05
SCOTT Sattler may be the football manager of an NRL club without a name, colours or clubhouse but he already has the team's future in his grasp.

"We're building a rugby league dynasty here," said Sattler, without the hint of understatement.

"We know we have the gems, it is just a matter of polishing them."

The 'gems' Sattler is referring to are 19 young rugby league players the cream of the 16 and 17-year-olds from the Gold Coast and northern NSW.

The new Gold Coast NRL team already has three junior academies within its catchment area and from this players progress into an elite squad of contracted players.

"You can't help but be excited when you see these young blokes," said the Penrith grand final hero of 2003.

"I saw it happen at Penrith and now it is happening at the Tigers.

"You get a bunch of young blokes together, you work on them and then in a couple of years they come through and you reap the rewards."

Sattler yesterday announced his initial elite squad during what will be an exciting week for the club.

On Thursday night NRL chief executive David Gallop will be in town when the club announces its name, which will come from the final selection of Titans, Pirates or Stingers.

Sattler said the elite squad of young players would form a tier below the club's 25 listed players, but tipped a couple to make their NRL debut in 2007, the team's debut year.

"I'll be surprised if a couple don't make the grade in that first year," he said. "There are a couple of blokes from Kyogle, northern NSW, Shannon Walker (fullback) and Will Matthews (second row) and Harry Witt, a hooker from Lennox Head, who all are showing a lot of promise."

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle has said one of the major platforms of the local team was to not only develop talent, but also to 'buy back the farm'.

Among the Coast's initial signings have been former Murwillumbah player and current Wests Tiger Anthony Laffranchi and Seagulls junior Luke O'Dwyer, now with the Eels.

One of the major arguments for the NRL bringing a team back to the Gold Coast was to give local juniors a career path without leaving the Coast, however Sattler said it was now up to the club to retain the best.

NRL clubs have been harvesting Gold Coast talent for decades and 'Satt's' says their interest will not stop overnight, despite the Gold Coast having their own team.

"When you have blokes like Tim Smith and Benji Marshall coming through you will always have other clubs seeking out our juniors," he said.

"But we have to put our stamp on this region, show rival clubs that this is no longer a no man's land.

"We have to show just how professional we are and be really involved in the junior and senior development of the game on the Gold Coast."

The Gold Coast club has set up junior academies in northern NSW, the Gold Coast and Ipswich. The elite squad will come together on a monthly basis from November and receive individual coaching from Sattler and the Coast's coaching staff of John Cartwright and Trevor Gillmeister. THE SQUAD: Luke Krauss, James Rix, Cameron Gibson, Luke Dumas, Will Matthews, Michael Keating, Travis Drought, Shannon Walker, Brodie Williams, Ryan Simpkins, Harry Witt, Damien Buckley, Dennis Gordon, Kevin Pease, Chris Sandow, Luke Bartlett, Tom Kingston, Todd Brennen, Mitch Hayden. * ONE lucky Gold Coast Bulletin reader will be celebrating more than others when the Gold Coast team name is revealed on Thursday night at the Robina Town Centre.

Just fill in the coupon that appears in tomorrow's paper, take it along to Robina on Thursday night and put it in the prize barrel before 7pm for a chance to win a barbecue or breakfast for you and 10 mates with Scott Sattler and John Cartwright, a signed jersey and caps and five online memberships.

I'll be heading up on Thursday night at 7pm

goldcoastnrl

Juniors
I guess there has been a bit speculation going around over the last few months and now with the announcement today that the Titans will be the team name. ALl they reall need to show eveyone is a solid basis of a team... and then get to it. If I could get to the official naming tonight I would...

{Please, no advertising other forums}

Lungman3

Juniors
Why the &*$#ing Titans? Why can't an Aussie football side have an Aussie name instead of copying the Yanks? Fair dinkum, the Wombats would be better :roll: What, are the Titans going to have crap organ music at their games as well? :roll:

Still, it could be worse. It could be named after a verb like Storm, Jazz, Thunder, etc. Then again, i remember when Canterbury were the "Berries" :lol: along with the Bluebags and Fruitpickers of other clubs.

Still, the Titans is a crap american name and will look stupid every time they get beaten.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lungman3 said:
Still, the Titans is a crap american name and will look stupid every time they get beaten.
Rubbish. The Greeks had it first. LOL

Lungman3 said:
Still, it could be worse. It could be named after a verb like Storm, Jazz, Thunder, etc. Then again, i remember when Canterbury were the "Berries" :lol: along with the Bluebags and Fruitpickers of other clubs.
Storm, Thunder and Jazz are primarily nouns, not verbs.

Latest posts