What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary - any good?

Abacus

Juniors
lol pretty sure this is the first post to mention Keary in this thread.

I don't know of any roosters fan who thought Keary should be selected over Cleary, namely because they play different positions.
Pretty sure it was between Cleary & Keary up to a week or 2 before Origin 1. All the talk in favour of Keary was to do with keeping the left side intact.

Now Roosters seem the most adamant that Cleary's Origin was overrated. Maybe reading too much into it?

mozza91

Coach
Pretty sure it was between Cleary & Keary up to a week or 2 before Origin 1. All the talk in favour of Keary was to do with keeping the left side intact.

Now Roosters seem the most adamant that Cleary's Origin was overrated. Maybe reading too much into it?
Do you honestly believe that Cleary was good in Origin?

I certainly don't recall "all the talk between Cleary and Keary" before origin 1 at all. I can remember some about whether it should have been Keary or Maloney at 6, but it wasn't much and no one expected Keary to be selected at all, least of all Roosters fans. Don't let those Panther coloured glasses fog up now :D

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
I certainly don't recall "all the talk between Clery and Keary" before origin 1 at all. I can remember some about whether it should have been Keary or Maloney at 6, but it wasn't much and no one expected Keary to be selected at all, least of all Roosters fans. Don't let those Panther coloured glasses fog up now :D
My only issue with Keary and Origin is he grew up cheering on QLD. Could quiet possibly be our best option in the halves ahead of everyone else in 2019. Based on how 2018 finished I think that's probable.

He went to a new level in 2018. Especially in the big matches.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
He wasn't bad. Which is an improvement on Pearce.

He was lucky there was no Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk. I personally think Cleary is a good player and will probably play a lot of origin football, however he is not remotely close to being in the discussion for best young talent in the game when you consider Kalyn Ponga.

He was lucky there was no Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk. I personally think Cleary is a good player and will probably play a lot of origin football, however he is not remotely close to being in the discussion for best young talent in the game when you consider Kalyn Ponga.
They play two totally different positions, how many other halves are as good as Cleary and around the same age? Where was Thurston, Cronk etc at 19/20?

Chook Norris

First Grade
Lol at salty Roosters fans upset that Cleary got the start & series win over their man Keary. Now wannabe Qlder Keary has to beat out an incumbent half.

Pearce is irrelevant to this discussion, much like every Origin game he played.

Note: @Danish excluded from the abovementioned "salty Roosters fans." Welcome aboard the Cleary for Immortal bandwagon - you're on early, grab 1 of the good seats.

Lol at clutching at straws, making shit up and thinking any of us gave a crap that Keary didnt make Origin.

Nice try.

Abacus

Juniors
Do you honestly believe that Cleary was good in Origin?
Yes, Cleary was good in Origin. Did everything expected of him in his first series.

Did he show everything he's capable of at that level? Not by a long shot. But I think he's shown he's no Mitchell Pearce.

Abacus

Juniors
I certainly don't recall "all the talk between Clery and Keary" before origin 1 at all. I can remember some about whether it should have been Keary or Maloney at 6, but it wasn't much and no one expected Keary to be selected at all, least of all Roosters fans. Don't let those Panther coloured glasses fog up now :D
Cleary was out injured until 2 weeks before Origin 1. Maloney was playing half with Peachey at 5/8 at club level, and the talk was Keary at 5/8, Maloney at half. Even Freddy was talking him up so how no Roosters fans expected him selected is a mystery.
Cleary came back and had a couple of blinders so Cleary in for game 1, Keary out.

Valheru

Coach
Cleary was out injured until 2 weeks before Origin 1. Maloney was playing half with Peachey at 5/8 at club level, and the talk was Keary at 5/8, Maloney at half. Even Freddy was talking him up so how no Roosters fans expected him selected is a mystery.
Cleary came back and had a couple of blinders so Cleary in for game 1, Keary out.

Cleary was talked up as 'the long term half" from the end of the 2017 series plus keary wanted to play for QLD.

That is why no one expected keary to be picked.

T-Boon

Coach
I think if Pearce was healthy he would have played origin this year and we would have won.
Smith knifing the maroons 2 weeks before the series was the killer for them.

I also think Pearce will be the halfback for the Blues in 2019.

TheFrog

Coach
Pearce has had way too many chances. It’ll be Maloney/Cleary for game 1 and rightly so. Cleary will need to show a lot more though.
If Maloney is fit and available he'll get the nod, but Keary would be breathing down his neck. We at the Panthers would love to see Jimmy retire from Origin and give his all for the club.