What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Tigerm

First Grade
Phil Gould’s deal that could see Nathan Cleary join father at Wests Tigers

PENRITH supremo Phil Gould predicts it’s only a matter of time before Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary leaves the club to team up with his father Ivan.
Nathan’s NRL future will be a closely scrutinised over the next four months as he prepares to come off contract at the end of next year.
The 20-year-old will be allowed to negotiate with rival clubs from November 1 and both he and his father, coach of the Wests Tigers, have publicly stated their desire to team up at some point.
  1. https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20182007/match-report
Losing the NSW No. 7 would be a massive blow for the Panthers, who have nursed him through the grades to be one of the premier playmakers in the competition.
Nathan’s decision will also have big ramifications for the Tigers’ recruitment with halfback Luke Brooks off contract at the end of 2019 as well.
Gould said he had no doubt at one point Nathan will leave the club to work with Ivan and he would do so with his blessing.
“The answer is very simple — Ivan is a father who wants to coach his son, we all understand that,” Gould told the Nine Network.

“Nathan is a son who would like to play for his father one day — we all understand that.
“I believe it will happen. And I would like to see it happen.
“But the decision right now is in Nathan’s hands.
“Neither his father or I are putting any pressure on him.”
Nathan has previously said he will consider his next contract around the time of his 21st birthday — November 14 — meaning he is facing a big decision during the off-season.
Gould said he was refusing to put pressure on Nathan to stay and wouldn’t stand in his way if he decided to leave the foot of the mountains.
“He’ll make a decision at the end of the year,” Gould said.
“Whatever that decision is, I will support it 100 per cent and Ivan will support it 100 per cent because it’s his career.
“But I have an agreement with Nathan. If one day he says ‘I want to go play with my dad’, let’s make it happen. I’ve got no problem with him going to play with his father whatsoever.”

Mader45

Juniors
Lets be honest.... With Cleary and Cook currently coming off contract after 2019 it will most likely be

Sydney Roosters 2020 Team
Coach: Nathan Cleary
Fullback: Tedesco
5/8th: Keary
HB: Cleary
Hooker: Cook

....The entire origin spine for the next few years.

Meanwhile we'll be wondering if a bitter Anthony Griffin can get us into the 8 with a Tigers spine of

Mbye
Reynolds
Brooks
Jake Friend (but we only pay him 1.5 million a year on a 7 year contract for his experience. Bargain!)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Lets be honest.... With Cleary and Cook currently coming off contract after 2019 it will most likely be

Sydney Roosters 2020 Team
Coach: Nathan Cleary
Fullback: Tedesco
5/8th: Keary
HB: Cleary
Hooker: Cook

....The entire origin spine for the next few years.

Meanwhile we'll be wondering if a bitter Anthony Griffin can get us into the 8 with a Tigers spine of

Mbye
Reynolds
Brooks
Jake Friend (but we only pay him 1.5 million a year on a 7 year contract for his experience. Bargain!)

I dunno if Nathan is ready to coach the team

BrotherJim05

Bench
I have a really bad feeling that NC will become the next Adam Blair. Only difference will be that he is on double the money and the media will have a proper field day.

Imagine the headline if he doesn't perform, but doesn't get dropped?

"DADDY'S BOY"
- Nathan not dropped due to favouritism. Farah building a second dressing room
Phil Rothfield - Daily Telegraph

Das Hassler

Bench
I dont think there's much chance of him underperforming....more concerned of a split in the dressing room....Brooks is liked and if there's not much difference in their form come decision time then there will have to be resentment if he's moved on and we could have a problem. Ivan may want to coach his son but that should not come into it...
It can only be what's best for WT (all things considered ) If Brooks does move on i'd love to see him in Melbourne under Bellamy

macnaz

Staff member
I can see Brooks staying on even if we get NC .. Brooks at 6 or even sharing 9 is an option. I think Reynolds would be the one trying to hold a spot especially after being so injury prone, it is risky to let Brooks go hoping Reynolds can stay on the field.
Brooks is a decent bloke and if the team wants him id think he will happily stay for modest money as he and his family love the club

Das Hassler

Bench
I've wondered about how Brooks would go at 9 as well....tough....never injured and can drop the big guys. Toovey 2? lol

Tiger Ted

Bench
I've wondered about how Brooks would go at 9 as well....tough....never injured and can drop the big guys. Toovey 2? lol
I’ve liked this idea for a while about the potential re Brooks @ 9.Assuming NC does come to Concord I’d much rather retain Brooks & offload Reynolds.Problem is we will have to take a massive haircut due to his extraordinary contract terms.

Alternatively a scrumbase combination of Brooks @ 6 & NC @ 7 would b very pleasing although I have a strong hunch Brooks won’t b retained.

Das Hassler

Bench
Reynolds as the partner of either seems a more natural fit but then again being similar didnt hinder Stewart amd Daley

simmo1

First Grade
It seems pointless to get Cleary if we lose Brooks. We would get a slight upgrade in ability for probably double the price.

Cleary's biggest asset currently is goalkicking and basically "not f**king up". That second part is an underrated quality - many halves don't ever quite work it out - however if you're going to pay 1 million plus then you need genuine gamebreaking ability. How many games has Cleary won through his passing or running game? Guys like Munster and Ponga (hell even Morgan and Milford on occasion) do this and they are the players worth the big bucks. Cleary has the potential to be at that level, but I wouldn't pay him that kind of money until I see it.

In saying that, Cleary would be nearly the perfect halves partner for Brooks as they both excel where the other is poor. I just don't see much point in a straight trade.

Tiger05

First Grade
I agree with Simmo. I really like Cleary as a player but he doesn't have the game winning ability just at this point and he may never develop it.

If we keep Brooks and gain Cleary we should have a halves combo that is one of the best in the comp.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I agree with Simmo. I really like Cleary as a player but he doesn't have the game winning ability just at this point and he may never develop it.

If we keep Brooks and gain Cleary we should have a halves combo that is one of the best in the comp.
I’d luv this but I don’t think it’s viable re salary cap when we r stuck with Reynolds @ 800k.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Can anyone tell me whether Nathan is the guiding light at the Panthers or is it Maloney? With Maloney being out they have really struggled. Is Nathan just another Brooks perhaps, that while good, just doesn't lead the team around the park like we need?

Russell Coight

Juniors
Penrith as a bunch are overrated. Cleary is probably the best of the bunch but not sure if that's an achievement considering the whole team looks flat every week

Tiger Ted

Bench
Penrith as a bunch are overrated. Cleary is probably the best of the bunch but not sure if that's an achievement considering the whole team looks flat every week
NC is better off coming to concord to best realize his potential.Whilstever that pathetic egomaniac Gould is pulling the strings at Penrith they will under achieve.He recently re-signed for 5 yrs hence if IC has any pride he shouldn’t go anywhere near the joint coz he’s only going to b a subordinate of the pig who sacked him.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Now that NC has resigned with the Panthers can we assume that the money we were saving to try and lure him across can be spent on the centre/backrower/prop we need. Just quietly I am glad this is now final...stick with Brooks and buy the other players (pending their availability) we need, never liked having all our eggs in the one basket anyway.