What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Hindmarsh dismisses retirement talk

The Colonel

Immortal
Nathan Hindmarsh dismisses retirement talk

630556-nathan-hindmarsh.jpg

Veteran: Nathan Hindmarsh. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

EELS favourite Nathan Hindmarsh reckons he's been approached by plenty of league fans in the off-season who shook his hand and said: "You've had a great career, good luck with your retirement."

"I've copped it a few times, I even copped it on the weekend, so when you hear it you think, 'shit, maybe it is time to retire if people are thinking it'," Hindmarsh said.

The truth is, the long-haired Parramatta great is no closer to making a decision on what he will do beyond this season.

Eels fans agree no other player deserves a premiership more than their skipper who is entering his 15th season wearing the blue and gold.

But Hindmarsh said there was a lot to weigh up. His wife Bonnie has left the decision to him. A likely increase in the salary cap for 2013 - on the back of a new TV deal - will not sway him. And a chance to potentially break Darren Lockyer's all-time record of 355 games - Hindmarsh sits on an NRL-high 307 games - is not a motivating factor.

"All I want to be is a competitive player, and when I stop being competitive, that's when I'll give it away," Hindmarsh said as he prepared for training yesterday.

"I want to make sure I don't go too long and make a dick of myself. I'd like to finish being a competitive player, not back playing with Wentworthville (in the NSW Cup). I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but you really want to be playing first grade in your final year.

"The pre-season has been fine. I think I'm used to the hard training here we have under Steve (Kearney), and if it was harder than last year, I could have thought, 'geez, this could be my last year'. But it is easier getting through the pre-season, it's picking yourself up week after week after games. Until I see how I go there, I won't make a decision."

Hindmarsh is one of several high-profile stars not contracted beyond 2012, with mate and fellow veteran Luke Burt, Ben Smith, Justin Poore, Fuifui Moimoi and Shane Shackleton also up for renewal.

Hindmarsh, however, will be the biggest talking point given his stature and profile at the club.

Part of any new deal for Hindmarsh would fall under the NRL's long-serving player allowance, which is exempt from the club's cap.

To prove his profile remains sky high, Hindmarsh was again selected for the All Stars game by the fans. He can not wait to train and play along side some of the game's best.

At only 32, Hindmarsh has the potential to play another few years, but added: "You also have to think about the younger blokes chomping at your heels who are faster, stronger and more explosive. There's still some life left in these legs. We've also got some good young talent coming through the club and blokes fighting it out for positions."

Hindmarsh was aware his decision would generate plenty of headlines, and quipped: "Fuifui is the same age as me, but nobody is asking him anything (about retirement)."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-retirement-talk/story-e6frfgbo-1226251631589

The Colonel

Immortal
When the little voices in his head stop telling him to get back up he'll retire..... he certainly didn't have a fantastic time towards the end of last season but then again there weren't too many who did. He'll have one more year IMO and rughtfully so and him staying or going won't impact on our ability to re-sign or increase our stocks for 2013.

attamarrap

Juniors
i hope he breaks lockyers record he's still got it. My favourite quote from the article

"I want to make sure I don't go too long and make a dick of myself. I'd like to finish being a competitive player, not back playing with Wentworthville (in the NSW Cup). I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but you really want to be playing first grade in your final year.

Gronk

Staff member
I think it will be his last year. Hopefully he can finish playing semis or better.

Someone will probably prove me wrong with stats, but I would think that Hindy's carries would be the least effective in the NRL. The only time he contributed in that area of late was under Ando when he was encouraged to offload. Not sledging him, just saying.

84 Baby

Referee
Sign him up for one more year so some merkin QLDer doesn't hold the record for most games.
This. Hopefully after this year he'll only have a Bondi merkin, a Manly merkin, a Bullscum merkin and that Queensland merkin ahead of him. And only the Queensland merkin ahead of him on the one club list

Eels Dude

Coach
Even despite his recent decline he's still far and away the best backrower at our club. If Reni has earned a 3 year extension then Hindy deserves to be employed by Parramatta till his mid 60's.

cookie145

Juniors
I think that last nights tennis match proved that you can never write off a true champion. As far as Im, concerned we should be begging Nathan Hindmarsh to stay next season. He is the heart of our club and without him god help us, the existing board have done everything they possibly can to destroy all heart and spirit from our club. Leave Nathan alone get rid of the crap running the place......................

Eels Dude

Coach
I think that last nights tennis match proved that you can never write off a true champion. As far as Im, concerned we should be begging Nathan Hindmarsh to stay next season. He is the heart of our club and without him god help us, the existing board have done everything they possibly can to destroy all heart and spirit from our club. Leave Nathan alone get rid of the crap running the place......................

Hewitt lost you know...

hindy111

Post Whore
Id give hindy a one year extentsion if he wanted it but id also use him for 60 mins a game to preserve him.Id almost think about starting him off the bench and bring him on about the 30min mark to play the rest of the game out.
He is still an 80 min player but i dont like him and Ben smith on at the saem time for two long-It puts too much pressure on the other forwards to make meters...If we are way infront or way behind id put Hindy on the bench to keep him fresh-No point burning him out!

Gronk

Staff member

:lol::lol::lol:

Even I LOL'd at that one.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hindy is still one of the better defensive 2nd rowers running around, if we has more sting in our 2nd row Hindy's attack wpuld be less of an issue. Hopefully one of the youngers guys can step up.

Eels Dude

Coach
If Kearney's fair dinkum about making the tough decisions, then Hindy won't be here in 2013.

Who do you replace him with though? All of our up and coming backrowers are still nowhere near as good as an over the hill Hindy. It comes down to how much cash he wants IMO. He's not a 350k player any more but even on his 2011 form he's still worth 200k or so under the salary cap. It's just a matter of whether he can keep his level up post 2012... he was still leading tackler in the NRL for 2011 wasn't he? Hindy is invaluable in some ways.