What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Rugby Football League? Potential Lawsuit??

clarency

Juniors
Some consortium in the USA is trying to set up a professional rugby union competition. Guess what they are calling it!

http://nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/

From what I've read they have zero chance of getting off the ground.

But if they did... I imagine there would be some serious concerns about the clash of league names... across the two rugby codes.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Some consortium in the USA is trying to set up a professional rugby union competition. Guess what they are calling it!

http://nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/

From what I've read they have zero chance of getting off the ground.

But if they did... I imagine there would be some serious concerns about the clash of league names... across the two rugby codes.

The Zimbabwe Rugby Union's domestic comp is the Zimbabwe National Rugby League too.

kdalymc

Bench
haha, that's what happens when half our sport name is an organization, hope they get it

Canard

Immortal
Would the NRL really care about something as pissant as semi-pro Rugby competition in the States?

hutch

First Grade
This has happened in a number of comps around the world. Union have absolutely no respect for us, we do nothing about it. We are not allowed to be called just rugby, they are allowed to have comps called rugby league.

Canard

Immortal
This has happened in a number of comps around the world. Union have absolutely no respect for us, we do nothing about it. We are not allowed to be called just rugby, they are allowed to have comps called rugby league.

Is it correct that we are we "not allowed" to be called Rugby?

shiznit

Coach
Im assuming that you can't trademark the name 'League' or 'National' individually and the name 'Rugby' has already been trademarked by World Rugby.

So they would have trademarked the total term National Rugby League

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The IRB trademarks 'rugby' wherever and whenever they can, they own the .rugby TLD, etc.

Helps them when they appeal to governments to try and ban RL comps.

I was talking about this in the other thread on 'RL branding' and kept getting shot down....

The fact is neither the ARLC nor the RLIF have ownership of any of the sports branding titles (which is exactly what happens when you name yourself after another sport). This is the kind of disrespect and disregard that RL will always have to deal with as long as it lets someone else (RU) control its brand. RL has no legal right to challenge this NRFL and it doesnt have the necessary international recognition to withstand these kinds of branding "landgrabs".

This is exactly why i think RL should differentiate and solidify the sports core image. There is no real benefit to hanging onto "rugby" and its only doing the game harm (the only reason they used that name to begin with was because their goal was to overthrow the MRU, not create a new sport).

Im assuming that you can't trademark the name 'League' or 'National' individually and the name 'Rugby' has already been trademarked by World Rugby.

So they would have trademarked the total term National Rugby League

That may work, but trademarks dont last unless you use them. So unless we are going to call the sport "NRL" everywhere, it wont do any good...

Last edited:

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I'm just going to start calling the sport Crash Football from now on, see if it catches on. Touch Football - limited contact, Crash Football - full contact. Topball however is still a far better name.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I'm just going to start calling the sport Crash Football from now on, see if it catches on. Touch Football - limited contact, Crash Football - full contact. Topball however is still a far better name.

That would make an awesome Sony PlayStation game. Imagine little bandicoot characters in club colours belting the crap out of each other!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

"Crash" is already a sport- it's a popular football substitute played in NZ prison yards.