What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA season 2021/22 - General chat

edabomb

First Grade
So with the Lakers miles off the 8th seed and just an abysmal team I hope the media starts to shine a torch on the play in series. The play in was a novelty during the bubble, now it's just a cynical cash grab. I can't think of one positive thing it brings into the league, I really don't see it being any great deterrent to tanking. You could say teams 9 and 10 are motivated by that playoff money, but in most seasons they'd be motivated up to mid-March anyway if the financials were a factor. You can't start tanking in mid-March.

Some of the negatives I have are:
- it's a waste of time. As the Lakers show, teams in 9th or 10th are generally pretty horrible and absolute cannon fodder for the 1st and 2nd seeds if they get through the play in. You've had 82 games to win the right to a playoff spot.

- we've already increased the first round to 7 games to reduce the chance of a first round upset. Now we also want to add in a bunch of games for the 7th or 8th seed at the end of a long season to burn them out even further before they take on the 1st or 2nd seed. Round 1 upsets are dead.

- A team like Minnesota in the 7th seed that are 12 games above the 9th seed shouldn't have to prove they belong in the playoffs. How much does that devalue and trivialise the regular season.

Valheru

Coach
Playoffs time. How do we see it playing out?

On the east side of things the Celtics/Nets first round series looks to be something special. Obviously Brooklyn are not a typical 7th seed. IMO they are 2 of the best 3 teams in the east along with Milwaukee whom the winner will play in the semi finals. I think the survivor of Celtics/Nets/Bucks will beat Heat/76ers in the conference finals and fairly comfortably. Both of those conference semi finals will be super competitive series.

On the West side of things I don't see the Suns being challenged until the conference finals. They shouldn't need more than 5 games against any of New Orleans/Utah/Dallas. IMO their opponent will be GS which should be an entertaining series.

Ultimately I see the Suns winning the whole thing.

Valheru

Coach
So with the Lakers miles off the 8th seed and just an abysmal team I hope the media starts to shine a torch on the play in series. The play in was a novelty during the bubble, now it's just a cynical cash grab. I can't think of one positive thing it brings into the league, I really don't see it being any great deterrent to tanking. You could say teams 9 and 10 are motivated by that playoff money, but in most seasons they'd be motivated up to mid-March anyway if the financials were a factor. You can't start tanking in mid-March.

Some of the negatives I have are:
- it's a waste of time. As the Lakers show, teams in 9th or 10th are generally pretty horrible and absolute cannon fodder for the 1st and 2nd seeds if they get through the play in. You've had 82 games to win the right to a playoff spot.

- we've already increased the first round to 7 games to reduce the chance of a first round upset. Now we also want to add in a bunch of games for the 7th or 8th seed at the end of a long season to burn them out even further before they take on the 1st or 2nd seed. Round 1 upsets are dead.

- A team like Minnesota in the 7th seed that are 12 games above the 9th seed shouldn't have to prove they belong in the playoffs. How much does that devalue and trivialise the regular season.

I tend to agree but Brooklyn this season provided a pretty good driver for having the playoff in place. They were riddled with injury most of the year and yes in the end they managed a 7th place finished but were in the 9th and 10th spots up until the last week of the season.

shiznit

Coach
Been really enjoying the Grizz this year… followed them more because Steven Adams was traded there and he’s my son’s favourite player after spending a little time with him a few years ago…

From pretty much watching them most of the season I genuinely think people are sleeping on how good they are… across the board they have a super deep squad who can all contribute if needed… I think they will be a problem in the playoff’s.

I think they turned some heads a couple of weeks ago when they blew out the full strength Sun’s without their starting 5 players…

they are legit IMO… and too many people are sleeping on them…

Valheru

Coach
GS vs BOS

Should be good.

On the surface it looks like warriors but they have had a far easier road than the celtics. It could be argued that the warriors are the worst defence the celtics will have faced in these playoffs.

Whatever happens, I think this will go a minimum of 6 games.

Latest posts