What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netstrada Stadium Funding

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Last week, I had some time to kill so thought I would fire off an e-mail to Chris Minns via the ALP website to find out if he has any interest in his Kogarah electorate team, the Dragons, and in particular, if he is inclined to provide funding for further upgrade of Netstrada.

A week later and the silence has been deafening. No reply. Can't say I'm surprised as Minns is no doubt a critic of the pork barreling involved in the redevelopment of Panthers Stadium and the shoring up of Stuart Ayres electorate. Probably wants to avoid the same criticism.

I think after 8500 fans attended our opening match and our next one on the same 6.15pm Sunday night slot, and with only 5 games at home this year, filling Kogarah doesnt seem to be an issue anymore. Sadly for me, the days of a packed Kogarah are long gone, and the fans we attract these days dont seem to want to actually go to matches. I think anyone who looks at attendances and where the money should go to, will not be looking at Kogarah. Unless we can find a partner to put this ground to far more use when were not using it, then nothing will change. Our area is no longer full of RL supporters (or sports of any kind it seems). Unless of course we produce a team that keeps winning, and attracts fans back. I like many others will always go to Kogarah but were a dying breed

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I think after 8500 fans attended our opening match and our next one on the same 6.15pm Sunday night slot, and with only 5 games at home this year, filling Kogarah doesnt seem to be an issue anymore. Sadly for me, the days of a packed Kogarah are long gone, and the fans we attract these days dont seem to want to actually go to matches. I think anyone who looks at attendances and where the money should go to, will not be looking at Kogarah. Unless we can find a partner to put this ground to far more use when were not using it, then nothing will change. Our area is no longer full of RL supporters (or sports of any kind it seems). Unless of course we produce a team that keeps winning, and attracts fans back. I like many others will always go to Kogarah but were a dying breed
According to the Daily Terror today, Minns is a Bulldogs fan anyway. Doesn't seem right that a politician represents an area but doesn't support their football team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I don't buy into this notion that Kogarah is long gone, or there are not enough RL supporters.

We've seen our fair share of ups and downs. It wasn't all that long ago that Kogarah struggled to get much of a crowd BUT then we saw a major boost in crowd numbers more recently. The current dip is due to poor management. The Right Game Right Venue experiment, for example, was a complete disaster.

We have seen that all it takes is some will and the right people to implement positive changes.

The fans just have to keep turning up. We'll be back.

I don't buy into this notion that Kogarah is long gone, or there are not enough RL supporters.

We've seen our fair share of ups and downs. It wasn't all that long ago that Kogarah struggled to get much of a crowd BUT then we saw a major boost in crowd numbers more recently. The current dip is due to poor management. The Right Game Right Venue experiment, for example, was a complete disaster.

We have seen that all it takes is some will and the right people to implement positive changes.

The fans just have to keep turning up. We'll be back.
Willow, I wish what you said was true, I truly do. I only go to Kogarah matches , and I always will. Ive had a season pass for well and truly over 20 yrs.But whens the last time we saw a capacity crowd there. The last few years weve been lucky to see over 10,000 there. The last big crowd was in 2018 Vs Melbourne. I'd dearly love to see 16,000 plus every match but we dont. I agree with better management and team who won more often we'd see more fans. I look at the hill and see a very small Dragon Army even. I remember watching them rolling out the huge Dragons flag at The Anzac Day matches at the Football Stadium. Those were the days. I just wish i knew how to get more supporters to Kogarah. But from what i see , the chance of getting funding on the crowds we have is not good

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow, I wish what you said was true, I truly do. I only go to Kogarah matches , and I always will. Ive had a season pass for well and truly over 20 yrs.But whens the last time we saw a capacity crowd there. The last few years weve been lucky to see over 10,000 there. The last big crowd was in 2018 Vs Melbourne. I'd dearly love to see 16,000 plus every match but we dont. I agree with better management and team who won more often we'd see more fans. I look at the hill and see a very small Dragon Army even. I remember watching them rolling out the huge Dragons flag at The Anzac Day matches at the Football Stadium. Those were the days. I just wish i knew how to get more supporters to Kogarah. But from what i see , the chance of getting funding on the crowds we have is not good
We've had ups and downs. Nothing untrue about that.
Hang in there.

Lethal25

Juniors
Kogarah members got a raw deal this year. We get to host the local derby at 6:15 on a Sunday....please. Round 2 Titans again 6:15 Sunday, round 12 v Roosters 6pm Friday

Don't know how hard the club fought for Kogarah this year but the result is very ordinary.

Did they ask for existing members to pay this year before draw announced so you can keep your seat? I know that's been the case in previous years

Existing members always have to sign up long before the draw is announced. Some years youve had to pay before December of the current year for next years seats. I wouldnt mind a loan of a couple of Million for 3 months before it even starts to get used.
The draw this year is appalling for Kogarah, which is why we wont get crowds, and therefore funding will be out of the question. But you look at tonight and see a crowd of 51,000.Its all about TV games and big crowds now

shiloh dc

Juniors
Chris Minn's live almost directly opposite Kogarah Jubilee oval. There is no way the ground will now be developed as he wont want extra traffic in his back yard.

Willow-youre absolutely correct-looking out on a packed hill from the stands, and then watching the Dragon Army roll out the big jersey gave me goosebumps and so much pride to see it there. It was wonderful to see 15,000+ fans out for a great match.Just such a same it was a disaster for us, and one more horrible ending to what had started with another NSW Cup loss. I thought we'd do better than this but thats for another forum. If we had crowds like this, there'd be every reason for a bigger stand

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow-youre absolutely correct-looking out on a packed hill from the stands, and then watching the Dragon Army roll out the big jersey gave me goosebumps and so much pride to see it there. It was wonderful to see 15,000+ fans out for a great match.Just such a same it was a disaster for us, and one more horrible ending to what had started with another NSW Cup loss. I thought we'd do better than this but thats for another forum. If we had crowds like this, there'd be every reason for a bigger stand
Yep, not a good day to watch them. And Newtown got up in the reserves. Terrible display in the firsts. The fans turned up, we deserve better.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Kogarah members got a raw deal this year. We get to host the local derby at 6:15 on a Sunday....please. Round 2 Titans again 6:15 Sunday, round 12 v Roosters 6pm Friday

Don't know how hard the club fought for Kogarah this year but the result is very ordinary.

Did they ask for existing members to pay this year before draw announced so you can keep your seat? I know that's been the case in previous years
We had a good crowd on Sunday night, so the time is no excuse. We have to start winning to get the crowds back. We aren't like Newcastle fans who turn up no matter what.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I remember in 2009 a sold out home semi at Kogarah that locked out x number of fans was the catalyst for Buzz Rothfield to complain about finals games being held at suburban grounds, and argue they should be moved to the major stadiums to allow max number of fans to attend.

Years later, Buzz Rothfield would lament holding finals matches at the major stadiums lacked atmosphere and was robbing fans of home semis.

Anyway, this has little do with the point of this thread, but still, never forget that Buzz Rothfield is an idiot.

Lethal25

Juniors
We had a good crowd on Sunday night, so the time is no excuse. We have to start winning to get the crowds back. We aren't like Newcastle fans who turn up no matter what.
There'd be a lot of families with younger kids who would avoid going 6:15 on a Sunday let alone adults gearing themselves for the beginning of a working week. It's absolutely a shit time slot

Saving grace for this game was playing the Sharks. How many other local derbies have been dropped into this time slot? Should have been a bigger occasion