What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never mind the price, feel the love, say diehard fans

Parra Guru

Coach
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2009/09/30/1253989954443.html

BEING a diehard NRL footy fan doesn't come cheap.
It will cost you about $1500 a year and that is before you fork out your hard-earned dollars to get to the game and feed yourself. If you are lucky enough to go all the way to the grand final, that is.
The team guernsey, at about $160, a season pass at $300 and an annual pay TV subscription worth $672 - for those nights when you can't make it to the real thing - are the big-ticket items on any serious supporter's shopping list. On top of that comes a $165 ticket if your side makes it to the grand final.
Other extras such as a flag, football, hat and scarf will further stretch the budget.
''People do pay … It really underlines the fact that sport is a big business and a very powerful magnet. You can be sure that parking, transport and meat pies will really add up also,'' a Choice spokesman, Christopher Zinn, said.
''What we've got is a much more professional, polished game and, of course, after the Super League issues, it's much more highly paid. For that to happen the money has to be raised somehow and a lot of that is from pay TV rights, merchandising rights and ticket sales.''
Mr Zinn said the NRL was competitive with other codes. Fans of the AFL and A-League pay similar prices for tickets and merchandise. And compared with what football fans in England pay for tickets, it is good value.
''I suppose the point is that where people are passionate, the cost does not dictate their choices so much.''
Long-time Eels supporters Diane Barry and Judy Archer picked up some accessories from Peter Wynn's Score this week. The pair, sporting blue-and-gold earrings and fingernails, bought a grand final shirt, sombrero and rosettes.
''I remember in 1977 when we were in the grand final my whole street was decorated in blue and gold. I was nine years old, we drew the first game and I remember when we lost the second game I cried,'' Ms Barry said. ''It's been a tense couple of weeks. I might cry again this week.''
The scene at Sydney Airport yesterday afternoon would have brought a tear to the eye of Melbourne players with only a handful of fans there to meet them.
Andrew Cooper, Vanessa Eastham and their eight-year-old daughter, Piper, were among the dedicated few.
The family, from Acacia Gardens, near Parklea, have supported the Storm since it joined the NRL in 1998, attending all the team's grand finals. They will be there again on Sunday.
''Last year there were a lot more people [at the airport] to welcome them,'' said Mr Cooper, who hoped to get his Storm guernsey autographed.
The Melbourne captain, Cameron Smith, was amused to learn the plane the team had travelled to Sydney on was called the City of Parramatta.
''Maybe the NRL decided to send that plane to pick us up,'' he said. ''But that's fine as long as we go back on the Melbourne plane.''

Parra Guru

Coach
tbh I reckon it's only those people who would wait til September to buy merchandise who would get slugged for this much money.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
There is no way a jersey should cost $160, whats even worse is the jersey for lil kids my mate brought one for his 2 year old son and ended up paying $100 for it.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
The Melbourne captain, Cameron Smith, was amused to learn the plane the team had travelled to Sydney on was called the City of Parramatta.
:lol: unlucky!

84 Baby

Referee
There is no way a jersey should cost $160, whats even worse is the jersey for lil kids my mate brought one for his 2 year old son and ended up paying $100 for it.
Peter Wynn may be a Parra diehard but he ain't stupid. Strike while the iron's hot

I agree and I sell them, if they could retail at about $99 they would sell 10times what they are now. And depending on the manufacture the prices vary, Broncos jerseys need to be sold for $200 to make any margin on them.
It's a bit of a joke really how most of them are pretty much the same yet the manufacturers charge completely different prices.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Peter Wynn may be a Parra diehard but he ain't stupid. Strike while the iron's hot

Peter Wynn isn't too bad when it comes to buying gear, you just need to buy at the right time, me and my mate will go together and buy pre season the staff are pretty good too on giving you a good deal you just have to ask them.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
I agree and I sell them, if they could retail at about $99 they would sell 10times what they are now. And depending on the manufacture the prices vary, Broncos jerseys need to be sold for $200 to make any margin on them.
It's a bit of a joke really how most of them are pretty much the same yet the manufacturers charge completely different prices.

Have to agree with you there, it's not the retailers fault you can only sell them for as much as you get them. If the manufactures put the price down so would the retailers. But I can't see that happening as people will still buy them for the price they are selling them for.

Parra Guru

Coach
Peter Wynn is good for a jersey clearance, and they do have a big range... but they mark everything up IMO and that's why their discounts look so generous.

84 Baby

Referee
Peter Wynn isn't too bad when it comes to buying gear, you just need to buy at the right time, me and my mate will go together and buy pre season the staff are pretty good too on giving you a good deal you just have to ask them.
I know. I buy all my sporting apparel from there. But if thousands of people come in demanding jerseys, he's not going to cut the prices because people are willing to pay full price. And Parra fans shouldn't feel too bad about it because he doesn't fantastic advertising for the club and league in general

Nikki

Coach
God, just looking around my room my head is ticking over with the money I've spent. Wouldnt have it any other way tho. And hopefully I will be forking out cash on more memorabilia next week.

Parra Guru

Coach
Same here Nik, just went and spent more money on blue and gold stuff!! It's a matter of choice for most people! I feel the article is hinting it's expensive to be a supporter, which I disagree with!

Now, season tickets to the Waratahs... there's a rip off!

planeteels

Juniors
Easiest way.. (but no cheaper) Buy your stuff from the Leagues Club.. that way you know the money you spend goes to the Eels.. and not some entrepeneurs pocket :)

if you live nearby ;) that is..

otherwise.. support your local entrepeneur :)

Last edited:

Chad

Juniors
I recall the early 80's where they had the "FREE" t-shirt Iron-on transfers that came with the newspaper. I guess everything cost $$$$ now...!!

MystikEel

Juniors

Well whoever at Qantas assigns the planes to whatever flights is obviously a Parra fan :lol: (I've been on the City of Parra. plane once from Syd to Melb. Good plane it is too ;-) )