What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 100m record

aussies1st

Staff member
AMERICA'S Justin Gatlin set a new 100m world record at the Qatar Super Grand Prix overnight with a time of 9.76sec.

The Olympic champion bettered the old mark of 9.77sec held by Jamaica's Asafa Powell which was set in Athens last year. The 24-year-old American, who clocked 9.85sec in the semi-final, was overjoyed by his record.
"I am very happy to have broken the world record," said Gatlin who is also world champion.
"I knew it was coming. This is my third time in Doha and it has proved to be third time lucky."
The record sets up what could be a fascinating season of sprinting.
Gatlin announced his intentions in his first race of the campaign when he clocked 9.95sec in Osaka in Japan.
He and Powell are due to meet at the Gateshead Grand Prix in England on June 11. Their last meeting was in London last July when Gatlin cruised to victory as Powell pulled up with a groin injury.
Powell was also forced to miss the world championships in Helsinki as a result of the injury.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19120305-23210,00.html

Only 0.01s in it, I'm sure it will be broken again.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gatlin breaks 100m record
From correspondents in Doha
May 13, 2006

AMERICA'S Justin Gatlin set a new 100m world record at the Qatar Super Grand Prix overnight with a time of 9.76sec.

The Olympic champion bettered the old mark of 9.77sec held by Jamaica's Asafa Powell which was set in Athens last year.

The 24-year-old American, who clocked 9.85sec in the semi-final, was overjoyed by his record.

"I am very happy to have broken the world record," said Gatlin who is also world champion.

"I knew it was coming. This is my third time in Doha and it has proved to be third time lucky."

The record sets up what could be a fascinating season of sprinting.

Gatlin announced his intentions in his first race of the campaign when he clocked 9.95sec in Osaka in Japan.

He and Powell are due to meet at the Gateshead Grand Prix in England on June 11. Their last meeting was in London last July when Gatlin cruised to victory as Powell pulled up with a groin injury.

Powell was also forced to miss the world championships in Helsinki as a result of the injury.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=2384879#post2384879

They have some very strange rules. He didn't run 9.76. Originally it was reportd at 9.77 and he equalled the record, then apparently because he ran something like 9.764, it was rounded down to 9.76, so he was rewarded with a time that he actualy didn't run.

aussies1st

Staff member
Thats running for you, I'm just surpised how the record times are. I thought maybe 0.05s rather than 0.01s.

NPK

Bench
Are they sure that all the running tracks are exactly the correct length, to the millimetre?

taxidriver

Coach
the new record has been stripped due to a timiing error, he has now been credited with equalling the old record.

taxidriver

Coach
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19169766-23218,00.html

Email this report
Print this report
Subscribe to Sportsmail

Gatlin didn't break world mark
May 18, 2006

JUSTIN Gatlin's 100m world-record time clocked in Qatar last weekend has been amended from 9.76sec to 9.77sec, equalling but not bettering the previous mark, the International Association of Athletics Federations announced yesterday.

Gatlin was timed at 9.76sec at the IAAF Grand Prix meeting in Doha, 0.01sec faster than the mark set by Jamaica's Asafa Powell in 2005.

But the IAAF said in a statement today that the actual timing for the American was 9.766sec, which meant the time should have been rounded up to 9.77sec not down to 9.76sec.

"Therefore, Gatlin's time will now be adjusted to 9.77, and pending ratification, will equal the previous 100m world record of Asafa Powell set in 2005," the IAAF said.

The news sets the scene for a mouth-watering showdown between Gatlin and Powell, although event organisers have previously struggled to get the sprinters on the same track.

After Gatlin's Doha run, Powell, the recently crowned Commonwealth champion, vowed to reclaim the record.

"He has borrowed the record," said Powell, who has already clocked 9.95sec this season.

"I will get it back.

"I am capable of running 9.60."

Advertisement:
Powell on Sunday reacted strongly to a report indicating that Gatlin might not take him on at the June 11 grand prix in Gateshead, England.
"I heard he pulled out, but I don't know why," Powell said.

"Last year, he was saying that I am a coward.

"So this year, if he pulls out of anything again, I am going to say he is a coward."

USA Today quoted Gatlin's agent, ex-hurdles great Renaldo Nehemiah, as indicating the next meeting between the two was up in the air.

"Everybody's clamouring for the first meeting," Nehemiah said witout specifially mentioning Gateshead.

"I would say they'll meet this year, maybe two times. Maybe once. No more than three."

argy-bargy

Juniors
[furrycat] said:
Eventually it'll get to a point where it'll never be broken again.

i read on the back of a bottle-cap that its physically impossible to for a human to run under 9s. If you bulk up to fun faster, you become too wide and heavy.

my plan is to wear a pair of 100m long stilts and simply fall fowards at the start, shure youll start slow but christ youll come storming home.

kay

Juniors
powell equalled it again the other day. could of easily beaten it had he not did his traditional finish

Latest posts