What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New balls better for drop outs?

innsaneink

Referee
I notice this year the balls used in the NRL are slightly different, though it could be just the printed design is the difference, hard to say....only a slight difference there, but Im just wondering if this coincidence has anything to do with all the mega (60-70m)drop outs were seeing this year.

I seen a few occasions already, only halfway into round 2 where dropouts have gone 60m+.....no wind assisted.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
i hope its player skill levels and not the ball.
60 - 70 meter drops outs if they are technology assisted would be ashame as it would take away some of the advantage a team gets by forcing a Line drop out in the first place, ive got no prob if an orford or a witt can kick the ball that far because of timing and power because really thats something that a player isnt going to be able to do consistently but if its the ball we will see it become the norm.

Orford was smacking them 60 metres as well...Lockyer landed one just outside the Warriors 20...it has got to be the new balls. :mrgreen:

Earl

Coach
Can't be the balls, cause the Dragons were only kicking them 40m with a huge wind in the 2nd half last night.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Richards was belting them 60-70 last week, Orford is hittin them at 60, last night schif belted a few 60's also, Locky was puttin em pretty far down feild aswell, dunno what it is, doubt it could be the ball, its identical bar new pattern

wind was pretty strong in melbourne last week and last night at wollongong the commentators said wind was even stronger in the second half.

rugged

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
speaking of long range kicking, if someone slots the ball between the posts from a kick off, do they get one point?

I've always wondered that too!

NPK

Bench
Thunderstruck said:
speaking of long range kicking, if someone slots the ball between the posts from a kick off, do they get one point?

Nah, has to be a drop kick.

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
I actually bought the new official NRL Ball from Rebel Sports and theres no difference to the other steeden balls i had...

Deano

Juniors
Sir Clifford GC said:
i hope its player skill levels and not the ball.
60 - 70 meter drops outs if they are technology assisted would be ashame as it would take away some of the advantage a team gets by forcing a Line drop out in the first place, ive got no prob if an orford or a witt can kick the ball that far because of timing and power because really thats something that a player isnt going to be able to do consistently but if its the ball we will see it become the norm.

I'm actually okay with some of the advantage being taken away from teams forcing a drop out, because quite frankly teams constantly rolling the ball into the in-goal area on grubber kicks isn't exactly exciting.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i've been wondering if it was new balls too. i remember jason taylor many years atgo calling for the balls to be changed to allow for further kicking (i.e. goal kicking)

Anyone got one of the (new) old leather ones?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Jones put a kick-off over the crossbar last night and he isn't a noted long kicker. The balls are definitely flying further this year I think.