What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New board to be announced today

magpie4ever

First Grade
As I mentioned a while back, giving Balmain any sort of deadline shorter than 20 years to repay the few million they owe the NRL now will kill the club.

The development won't save them either as they won't even own the space where the club is proposed to be, they'll be renting it, no doubt at full price.

What alternative do they have that is realistic, knowing full well that no one will pay off the debt without demanding the money be repaid.

Perhaps Wests Ashfield could buy them for the cost of the debt, change the Balmain Leagues venues all to Wests Tigers outlets owned by Wests Ashfield but with the old Balmain board members running them still.

Wests get their dominance over the merger that they've always wanted, Balmain can have their seats on the committee and their debts all paid and their junior teams can still be Balmain if they want, or they can rebrand themselves as Wests Tigers.

If Wests Ashfield rebranded as Wests Tigers they could be the official Leagues Club for the team.

Surely that would be a marketing boom for Wests Ashfield, to be affiliated completely with the NRL side.

As Gussy Gouldy would say. No, No, No. Wests Ashfield (Magpies) will never rebrand as Wests Tigers.

Best hope is the white tiger concept for the NRL side (with Wests Ashfield having 100% ownership).

Getting ready for the abusive attacks.

MU, did you ever get anywhere with the proposed rugby league, aussie rules merger back in the 1910s, 1920s?

macnaz

Staff member
As Gussy Gouldy would say. No, No, No. Wests Ashfield (Magpies) will never rebrand as Wests Tigers.

Best hope is the white tiger concept for the NRL side (with Wests Ashfield having 100% ownership).

MU, did you ever get anywhere with the proposed rugby league, aussie rules merger back in the 1910s, 1920s?

He didnt say that. He said rebrand the Tigers owned venues.

Balmain Tigers declare
WAR ON NRL!
Balmain Tigers RLFC has declared war on the NRL for its “unjust and ruthless” behaviour according to Balmain Tigers chairman Dr Leslie Glenn.

In a hard hitting Open Letter to all Balmain Tigers members and supporters Dr Glenn called on all to join in the fight for the proud foundation Club’s survival.

He encouraged all to support the Club’s new Fighting Fund which will be officially launched on the 25th anniversary of the Balmain Tigers 1989 Grand Final on Wednesday September 24 at Tigers Five Dock at 6.30pm.

Many members of the 1989 side will be present at the Fighting Fund launch.

They include internationals Wayne Pearce, Benny Elias, Garry Jack, Steve Roach, Paul Sironen, Tim Brasher, Bruce McGuire, Gary Freeman, Andy Currier and Shaun Edwards, former Wallaby winger James Grant plus the likes of Michael ‘Ginger Meggs’ Neil, Kevin Hardwick, Steve O’Brien, Steve Edmed and Michael Pobjie.

Dr Glenn said that the Club was hit by the Global Financial Crisis during its attempt to develop the Leagues Club site at Rozelle and the takeover by the then State Government for the planned and disastrous Metro rail project.

Let’s remember our iconic Laurie Nichols: Black-n-Gold Never Fold!

Plan now to get to the Wednesday September 24 meeting. We will never give in! See ya there.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't think dismissing the concept so quickly just because you don't want the magpie to die is stupid.

We are a business and its 2014, not 1947.

Wests Campbelltown can remain as solely Western Suburbs magpies.

The club needs an official Wests Tigers leagues club and Wests Ashfield would be the best and most logical one to do that.

It'd cost them whatever Balmain's debt is to the NRL and in return they'd have full ownership of the Balmain Tigers venues.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, Balmain's going to have a 'whip round'

f**k me this is just sad now.

Both Magpies and Balmain have been hamstrung by 1960's thinking.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
It worked for the Richmond Tigers mad unit. There's not a plethora of other ideas being put forward at this time.

I think that the idea has merit but I think something akin to an IPO might be a better idea. I'd be more interested in coughing up my hard earned if it gave me shareholders rights

Matchball

Bench
Benny dare show his face there the scumbag. Hope he is putting in some of his millions.
He was the one who got the club into this.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I don't think dismissing the concept so quickly just because you don't want the magpie to die is stupid.

We are a business and its 2014, not 1947.

Wests Campbelltown can remain as solely Western Suburbs magpies.

The club needs an official Wests Tigers leagues club and Wests Ashfield would be the best and most logical one to do that.

It'd cost them whatever Balmain's debt is to the NRL and in return they'd have full ownership of the Balmain Tigers venues.

It will not happen whether it is 1947 or 2014.

White Tigers concept: West Ashfield (Magpies) proud owners of the Wests (White) Tigers NRL side - that's how the marketing would work.

Matchball

Bench
It will not happen whether it is 1947 or 2014.

White Tigers concept: West Ashfield (Magpies) proud owners of the Wests (White) Tigers NRL side - that's how the marketing would work.

Good luck with white tiger. I'm sure it will happen it you wish enough.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Good luck with white tiger. I'm sure it will happen it you wish enough.

Just like wishing Wests Ashfield (Magpies) becomes Wests tigers.

I know which one is closer to a possibility and it's is not rebranding Wests Ashfield.

Keep dreaming and wishing upon a star.:cool:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You wish for a white Tiger.

Business dictates that my suggestion has enormous potentional & makes clear sense.

But the dumb bastards running these clubs will probably waste their time f**king about with the f**king logo, because they are as stupid & demented as anyone who believes a white tiger logo actually makes a f**king difference to anything

Benny dare show his face there the scumbag. Hope he is putting in some of his millions.
He was the one who got the club into this.
Yes, I wonder what his old team mates who we know are still Tiger supporters, think of Benny.

lol, Balmain's going to have a 'whip round'

f**k me this is just sad now.

Both Magpies and Balmain have been hamstrung by 1960's thinking.
Many of the Sydney based clubs think that way IMO, I think the older thinkers on various committees are best suited to the old NSW Cup team mentality - go to Henson Park during the season, maybe thats why the Roosters gave them the flick. Perhaps its exactly why the Sharks are now aligned with Newtown :crazy:. But the world has moved on from the scones making and scarves knitting and BBQ committee. The NSW Cup has even moved on from that.

However,
It worked for the Richmond Tigers mad unit. There's not a plethora of other ideas being put forward at this time.

I think that the idea has merit but I think something akin to an IPO might be a better idea. I'd be more interested in coughing up my hard earned if it gave me shareholders rights
they do need to try something, maybe they will raise some big dollars, trouble is the Tiger membership doesn't get anywhere near the Richmond Tigers numbers.

Interesting times.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Richmond is next door to the Melbourne CBD, based at arguably the most iconic cricket ground in the world, MCG.

They have decades upon decades of deep rooted supporters.

Balmain don't have that.

Many of their long term fans were alienated by the merge.

Its old hat thinking that worked decades ago when a whip round required a few grand.

But shaking a tin for several million. It screams of "all hope is lost"

Why not sell it to Harry? 4 million for the entire club & its venues is cheap.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You wish for a white Tiger.

Business dictates that my suggestion has enormous potentional & makes clear sense.

But the dumb bastards running these clubs will probably waste their time f**king about with the f**king logo, because they are as stupid & demented as anyone who believes a white tiger logo actually makes a f**king difference to anything

What a load of utter bullshit, preaching without facts.

I use to believe you had some resemblance of brains but I now realise you are just another f**kwit.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol hypocrite.

preaching about a white tiger logo being good for the club is just as f**king stupid.

macnaz

Staff member
lol hypocrite.

preaching about a white tiger logo being good for the club is just as f**king stupid.

But it would be great veiwing as our side continues to throw up the white flag our spectators would get huge coverage waving their white tigers as they head to the exit gates :)

Latest posts