What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New laptop question

McLovin

Staff member
So my current laptop is busted beyond all repair and I'll be purchasing a new one soon. Silly me didnt backup anything when i had the chance so I have a question for the tech savvy here. Is it possible to straight swap the old hdd into the new laptop? If not, what are the options I have in order to retrieve files from the old hdd?

AJB1102

First Grade
So my current laptop is busted beyond all repair and I'll be purchasing a new one soon. Silly me didnt backup anything when i had the chance so I have a question for the tech savvy here. Is it possible to straight swap the old hdd into the new laptop? If not, what are the options I have in order to retrieve files from the old hdd?

You can pick up these HDD to USB converter thingies where you take your laptop HDD out, put it in this other thing and plug that into your new laptop. Basically makes it a portable HD. Under $10 on ebay from memory.

Search USB to SATA.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on what damage has occurred to your current laptop, if the damage is to your hard drive then it probabaly wont work but you'd have to buy the cable to find out, and I wouldn't assume its a Sata connection either. You need to pull the hard drive out to see what sort of connection it has then do what AJB1102 said

McLovin

Staff member
Thanks. HDD is fine. I bought one of those enclosures you're talking about. Easy to use and works well. Didn't know they were a thing tbh. Might get one for all my old pc hard drives...