What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Look GB for 05

In-goal

Bench
Well after the demorilising defeat at Elland Road i was thinking of potentiol players to move into the GB squad for next year that i believe were unlucky not to play this season.

Firstly the GB kicking game was ordinary to say the least and Sean Long for me failed poorly to standup to the Australian onsluaght, there fore IMO an organising 1/2 is needed to play alongside McGuire who can acctualy kick the football.

Here are a few options.
Paul Deacon Bradford has a fantastic kicking game and good at organising the attack but dosen't take the line on enough, which isn't all that important when your playing inside McGuire.

Lee Briers Warrington once again a good kicking game but injury has plagued him as well as missed opertunity, stood out for Wales during the 2000 WC were he tore shreds through Australia in the opening 60mins.

Future Star Scott Moore St.Helens saw him play earlier this year a young kid at just 16 has it all, infact one of the best prospects i have ever seen but as the saying goes so much potential offtern fails to deliver. Made his SL debut against Wigan were he was far from overaud could be the next big thing.

Dakink

Bench
They really need to start McGuire and really really really really work on their kicking game. Doesnt matter who they select if they are giving the ball back straight down the fullbacks throat and letting him run back to the 30-40m mark!!
Could pick the Incredible Hulk for all that would matter.

Charge

Juniors
Richard Horne would have been the 1st choice Scrum half if he had been fit. I also hope Mathers will be in the team next year, Wellens is norally pretty solid, but Mathers is classy.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
We have no decent scrum halves in Super League, none at all.

Sean Long deserved his place on performances this season, he was head and shoulder (No pun) ahead of any of the other 7's up to his ban.

Deacon is just a kicker nothing else and Horne isn't good enough. He certainly hasn't got the organisational skills to direct a team against Australia thats for sure.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd like to see a few changes made, so here's a tentative lineup.

1: Richard Horne (Played fullback very well before shifting)
2: Brian Carney
3: Martin Gleeson
4: Gareth Ellis? Senior's best football is behind him
5: Stuart Reardon
6: Iestyn Harris
7: Danny McGuire
8: Stuart Fielden
9: Sean O'Loughlin (Impressed me whenever he hit the field, and has a decent kicking game)
10: Adrian Morley
11: Andy Farrell (c)
12: Jamie Peacock
13: Paul Sculthorpe

Bench of the likes of Higham, Bailey, and whoever else is in form. The core of the GB side was fine this year, but some things need to change. Senior, as I said, is not half the man he used to be. Newton concedes too many penalties, and Wellens was shown up for his lack of speed in chasing kicks.

yakstorm

First Grade
The halves situation will be a lot better in 2005 for Great Britain for a number of reasons.

Long will start to work on his kicking game, he knows his faults from the Tri-Nations and has a whole season to work on those faults.

Harris, he does have potential, and maybe a whole season back in Rugby League will see him show some of that potential again.

Thorman, a guy who like Danny, ripped apart the Aussies' in that England A game last year. He is back in the UK, and will play the whole season with Huddersfield so expect him to come into the runnings.

Danny McGuire, well enough said, he will be up there for sure.

Richard Horne, hopefully the poor guy will not be injuired come next years internationals, but he will be right up there.

So the British halves are looking fine :)

In-goal

Bench
Horne i believe is from the Isle of Man I think making him eligible for any of the home nations, he did play for Scotland at the last WC.

OK to continue this on another tangent what about the Lock forward position, Sculthorpe is apparently suffering from back injuries and may have alot of trouble throughout next season who would be his succesor?

Misanthrope

Staff member
who would be his succesor?

They've got good loose forward depth, at the moment. Farrell can play there at a pinch, although his best position is clearly the back row. Perhaps Sinfield from Leeds or even young O'Loughlin?

yakstorm

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
No comment on Deacon Yakstorm? Don't you rate him?

Deacon is the type of half I have no problem with being in my club side. He has a great kicking game and generally is a consistent performer but I don't think he offers enough at international level.

Always tries hard though. He is a bit like a Scott Prince or Nathan Fien, do well for their clubs, but they will never represent their nation.

I'll never fault the guy though for giving it all, and perhaps if GB was extremely desperate then yes maybe I'd pick him again.

As for CarlNZ's question, Richard Horne can technically play for any of the home nations cause his father was born on the Isle of Man.

screeny

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:

A dramatic statement, but one which I have to agree. Britain doesn't have one good scrum half. Not sure about Horne there but he'd be the first one picked. Briers's face doesn't seem to fit.

Deacon is crap, crap, crap.

In-goal

Bench
Fairleigh Good! wrote:

A dramatic statement, but one which I have to agree. Britain doesn't have one good scrum half. Not sure about Horne there but he'd be the first one picked. Briers's face doesn't seem to fit.

Deacon is crap, crap, crap.

Thats were i make the statment enter Scott Moore, although he is probably atleast another season from taking over from Sean Long at Saints he will take over and from then i think he will be the England 1/2 at the RLIFWC 2008.

JasonE

Bench
Wellens did well but he has his limitations so I can see Richard Mathers putting a lot of pressure on him over the next few years.
Carney is entrenched on the wing but I expect Leon Pryce who is one of the most gifted players in the UK to get back into the GB team plus Gareth Rayner isn't far off. Reardon also did well but is probably more suited fullback.
Gleeson and Senior are now established as top quality and Chev Walker should continue to be next in line, after that Yeaman and Aspinwall are a couple of years away atm.
A lot of people have forgotten about Danny Orr but i'd expect him to have a big year at Wigan now he's had a year under his belt, having said that Richard Horne would be my no.6 with Danny McGuire at 7, these two are an exciting prospect. Sinfield, i believe is also suited to the no.6 role and he would be my 2nd chioce 6, has a decent kicking game as well.
Sculthorpe will be around for a while yet but other backrowers to look out for are Jon Wilkin, Gareth Hock, Gareth Ellis, Lee Gilmour and Jamie Langley. Ellis played the whole tri nations through injury.
Props who could/should come into reckoning are Andy Coley, Nick Fozzard, Andy Lynch, Danny Sculthorpe and Paul King
I think Micky Higham will become GB's first choice hooker for the next 5 years.

Charge

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
I'd like to see a few changes made, so here's a tentative lineup.

1: Richard Horne (Played fullback very well before shifting)
4: Gareth Ellis? Senior's best football is behind him
6: Iestyn Harris
7: Danny McGuire
9: Sean O'Loughlin (Impressed me whenever he hit the field, and has a decent kicking game)

Bench of the likes of Higham, Bailey, and whoever else is in form. The core of the GB side was fine this year, but some things need to change. Senior, as I said, is not half the man he used to be. Newton concedes too many penalties, and Wellens was shown up for his lack of speed in chasing kicks.

Not bad, but you have definately got some of the players in the wrong positions, O'Loughlin for example has never played hooker to my knowledge and Gareth Ellis hasn't played centre for over a year.

I would go for:

1: Richard Mathers
4: Chev Walker (Great centre, but a poor winger)
6: Danny McGuire
7: Richard Horne
9: Matt Diskin

14: Sean O'Loughlin
15: Ryan Bailey
16: Eorl Crabtree
17: Gareth Ellis

There are also a lot of great 18 year olds and under who will be able to get into the team by the time they turn 21, so we should have a great team for the 2008 World Cup.

Wire_Godfather

Juniors
If Lee Briers has a good year with Warrington i expect him to be in the initial squad. Ask Tallis about Briers and then you will realise the talent he has. He is probably the best open play kicker in superleague and has proved that on many occasions in the season just gone.

Bradford at home x2 being the 2 most standout games. In those games Deacon was shown up to be the average scrum half that he is.

Latest posts