What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Merger For the Jets

2 True Blues

Coach
If Celine had to go, what do her friends who stayed look like???

Hey this Sharks/ Newtown deal, is it just for a year ?

Someone said to me it was a one year deal. What happens if at the end of the year after they've signed every player they wanted, they say, See ya later Newtown.

Just a thought.

It should be a multiple years deal, Not just one year.

What do you's think ????

Jeffles

Bench
It is for one year initially. I think it is a good measure. We don't want to get stuck in a deal if it gets us nowhere (the Souths debacle of the past couplr of years rests firmly in my mind).

2 True Blues

Coach
That's what I would like to avoid here. How much power is in the hands of Jets management in this deal.

What's to stop them from just taking what players they want, saving money for a season, then re-entering Premier League the following year.

Jeffles

Bench
I suppose not having a feeder we face that problem every year. What is to our advantage is that we can keep our better players who would otherwise sign for an NRL club and play in their reggies because we have an NRL club from which they can send players to us.

Jeffles

Bench
I am sure a longer deal will occur after the first year. I am sure each side has various reasons for having an initial 1 year deal.

SHARKS

Don't want to commit themselves too much...

1) In case Newtown is not professional enough
2) In case they become unhappy with the coaching regime of Newtown
3) In case there is a better offer (notwithstanding the goodwill created by the initial deal)

NEWTOWN

Don't want to commit themselves too much...

1) In case they get treated like crap ala Souths with a lack of player movement between grades
2) In case there is a big backlash from supporters/sponsors.
3) In case there is a better offer (notwithstanding the goodwill created by the initial deal)

----

All this is highly speculative. While a lot of these above issues would already have been ironed out, it is a matter of seeing how things turn out in the practical sense that will decide a renewal of the agreement.

BTW I still hate the use of the term "merger" or "Joint Venture".

Anonymous

Juniors
Good to see a small but visible group of Newtown fans down at Shark Park last night, cheering on the Jets in PL.

Jeffles

Bench
Shame about the result.

Our boys had plenty to play for. A top 8 spot was in reach. Also, they were playing against their opposite numbers for a spot in the feeder club next year. There was a lot on the line. Unfortunately, Newtown could not deliver on the night.

Unfortunately I was working. Anyone have a match report?