What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL CEO apdmits to being no visionary, lol!

Perth Red

Post Whore
New NRL CEO is no visionary!!

Greenberg wasn't immediately interested in increasing the number of competing clubs from 16 and stressed the NRL was more concerned in the short to medium term with sustaining some of the current ones who are struggling.

Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra, Gold Coast and Newcastle are all receiving NRL support.

"Expansion is not something we're talking about," Greenberg said.

"We're very focused on our 16 clubs and making sure they are strong and secure - that's our immediate focus.

"We're about to provide a new funding distribution model for our clubs which will see them better equipped to handle the challenges than they've ever been before, so it's now up to the clubs to realise their opportunities.

"I wouldn't describe myself as a visionary, nor do I think I'm a guy with all the ideas," Greenberg said.

http://www.nrl.com/greenberg-vows-to-unite-league-community/tabid/10874/newsid/93921/default.aspx

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's unfortunate that a stooge for the status quo like Greenberg was given the job, it's even more unfortunate that David Smith, a Bloke that had all the qualities that the NRL needed in a CEO was constantly faced with opposition from the establishment and was subsequently bullied out of the job.

We'll be waiting for expansion forever if we keep waiting for a time when all the NRL clubs are "stable", "strong", whatever, because those terms are subjective and the programs that are introduced to "strengthen" the clubs will not only strengthen the clubs on the bottom of the pile but the ones on the top too, which then changes the definition of successful NRL club and creates a constantly moving set of goal posts, and everything stays the same.

It seems that there just isn't any will to grow the game in any meaningful way at the moment, which is a damn shame because all we are doing is wasting time and opportunities, and giving our competitors even more of a head start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And when this extra $1.5mill a year they are giving clubs isn't enough for some clubs no doubt they will throw more at them. There is no more hope of expansion discussion until 2021-2022.

BuffaloRules

Coach
For all the canonising of Smith I read in this place, he only ever paid lip service to expansion, and ultimately nothing concrete was planned/ proposed during his tenure.

And when this extra $1.5mill a year they are giving clubs isn't enough for some clubs no doubt they will throw more at them. There is no more hope of expansion discussion until 2021-2022.
This is my big concern about him. I think with him its all short term thinking.
We should really be thinking 10 years down the track but i don't think we will get it with him, but i repeat give him a fair go and see what happens.

At this point, the NRL is at neutral while other codes aleast take a chance and expand while rugby league does nothing year after year. There should be a long-term plan or strategy aleast for expansion.

Once again, short-sight and self-interest all about the clubs who year after year are given more money yet are financially mismanaged. Hand-outs don't fix incompetent administration it's about times clubs take some responsibility for once.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It's not so much that I think it's more about damage control they are sooo worried the media will bash them again so they are saying everything to avoid being attacked like Smith was.

As an example it was no coincidence that Greenberg mentioned the Jillaroos captain's name yesterday when interviewed just to prove he was a league man.

It's quite pathetic that we are controlled so much by the media, I can't think of another sport in a similar situation.

It's not so much that I think it's more about damage control they are sooo worried the media will bash them again so they are saying everything to avoid being attacked like Smith was.

As an example it was no coincidence that Greenberg mentioned the Jillaroos captain's name yesterday when interviewed just to prove he was a league man.

It's quite pathetic that we are controlled so much by the media, I can't think of another sport in a similar situation.
The NRL seems spineless when it comes to Uncle Rupert and News Ltd.
As for searching worldwide for a new CEO i don't think they looked outside Australia.