What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW PLAYERS

Bluebag

Juniors
You tend to find that other players who come looking for a chance happen closer to the season, we have good forward strength with Billy Najarine and Monah and T returning along with the new signings and Alf is in fine condition for this time of the year and his mouth is working well to boot.

Bluebag

Juniors
That is what I have heard, he was signed just prior to xmas, shame but a few players we signed from NZ according to skinno are amongst the hardest runners he has faced. So lets see how good a judge he is, only time will tell.

Bluebag

Juniors
One of the Kiwis comes with a reputation of a lot of speed, Helio, not sure hoe to spell his name. and a few triallists also have some pace apparently.

2 True Blues

Coach
The sevens wildcard tournament programme spells it as Sioeli HELU.

To quote it it says: He was born in Tonga prior to moving to New Zealand in 1996 where he played Bartercard cup for Wainuimata and Wellington. The 25 year old can run the 100 metres in under 25 seconds.

I really enjoyed seeing the boys play at this tournament and was very curious to see these new players in action.

I was originally nervous as to anyone getting injured, then when I saw how good the new players actually are I was more nervous that our club may sell them to some other club and we would not get to see them play for us in 2004.

I have been disappointed too often in the past when the pre-season hopes are shattered for one reason or another. Last year Souths dumped us when they found out they could field a Jim Beam side only weeks from the kickoff, taking Garth WOOD ETC, Russell RICHARDSON being recalled by Souths and polaying against us, Jim SERDARIS being too injured to play, Ken McGUINESS playing one game then going to Wests, we all know the usual stories, ETC, ETC.

This year it is has already begun with Steve SKINNON being taken by Souths.

However these new signings appear very good, and indicate the best Newtown side we have had to date ( since 2000 ) will ne taking the field in 2004.

All fingers are crossed that our management will hold onto them for this season as although I understand they profit from the Re-sale of players can we not just have one good season where we say no to the likes of Souths ETC, and have a real good stab at the semi's and beyond.

Surely grand final TV coverage would create new sponsor and player interests in the future. Not to mention increased supporters and overdue satisfaction to the loyal passionate fans that always man the hills at Henson through rain and wind, loss and win.

We definately have speed this year, experience, and big hard hitting players if the sevens tournament is any indication of this. Let's keep what we've got and bring on the finals in 2004.

Bluebag

Juniors
I knew what you meant he is quick he has come under a lot of attention in that game and for Tonga as well but has signed with us. He looks good as well.

2 True Blues

Coach
Can't believe I typed 25 instead of 12. Fat Albert runs the 100 in under 25 seconds.

HELU is very quick.

The Bluebags had the opening game of the tournament against the NZ Maori side ( who were said to be one of the tournament favourites ).

It must have been 35 degrees in the shade that day.

The NZ side took to the field and started waving at the side line and calling out to their reserves, trainers, and officials ETC, to come out onto the ground. Then atleast 30 large islanders stood facing seven lonely Newtwon jerseys and delivered a heart felt and threatening HARKER.

Steve SKINNON was playing in the NZ Maori side against us.

Newtown started off slowly conceding two soft tries through gaps in their defence out wide.

My eyes were on this guy who apparently runs 100 metres in less than 12 seconds.

The NZ side appeared to also be aware of this as they tended to be right on top of him everytime he got, or looked to be going to egt the pill. Up to three guys taking him down before he could cut loose.

Then all of a sudden he receives a good pass, and side stepped by an opposition player, taking off down the left side wing like CHIKA on STEROIDS. Beating two more defenders who were attempting to come over in cover with his sheer pace, before crossing the try line in the corner.

He then appeared to be going to bend over and place the ball at his feet for a try, when to the surprise of myself and the rest of the ground ( who all gasped loudly ) he passed a quick and very accurate bullet pass some twenty metres across the field and back into play, right into the arms of another of the new signings.

Now in all the excitement I don't know the players name ( might have been Adam BENNETT ??? ). The crowd actually could be heard to be laughing in astonishment and disbelief, as it appeared an impossible task. ( BENNETT ??? ) who appeared only short in height, although stocky in stature had two larger NZ players in front of him and the 5 point try line zone. He however put his head down and charged the line from atleast 10 metres out, somehow forcing through the two large defenders, for a five point try under the sticks.

The second half brought on the return to the Bluebags side of the speedy, never say die, Ben COOK who almost immediately after taking the field made his prescence known by quickly weaving through the oppositions defence to score a try.

In the second game the boys were right on top of their defensive game from the whistle blown. Continually mowing down the Jim Beam composite side, and bitterly contesting any threat to their try line.

Newtwon scored 10 points and refused the J/B team a point, going on to defeat the J/B side, ( who had earlier been convincing winners against the NZ side .

The J/B side contained ex-first graders Damien MOSTYN, and Nathan DEBARTOLO as well as other experienced and talented players.

The programme further stated that Newtwon will be captained this season by former NRL player Craig FIELD once his commitments with French club Pia are over. Newtwon have also signed ex-Roosters 1st grader Nelson LOMI.

Just don't sell any players Newtown. Let's just have one good season with the side as it is, and double the crowd at HENSON this year.

Jeffles

Bench
The program has the correct spelling. I was with Libber when he got the Newtown names personally off each player.

2 True Blues

Coach
Phillip LEULUAI whom the programme stated is the brother of former NZ international James LEULUAI also had a good game for the mighty Bluebags.

It took several opposition players to tackle him each time, and most times he got the ball away to quick players on the burst after drawing in the opposition defence, putting our guys through the gaps.

It should be a really interesting season once Thaka Thaka comes back from France.

The forwards look good, and for that matter the entire team.

The new guys alongside FIELDY, BILLY, ALFIE, and the guys will be a force to be reckoned with.

Chris WILLIAMS also played well at the sevens scoring atleast two tries.

metroman

Juniors
The Jim Beam team in the qualifier was not a composite team it was just one club, Sydney Bulls, who won the Jim Beam 7's the previous saturday.

2 True Blues

Coach
Yeah, they were in the programme as that for some reason, and had some very good players. The Jets played very well to defeat them, and keep them from scoring.

brad58

Juniors
Hooker Adam Bennett and halfback David Hall came from Port Kembla Blacks last season to the Newtown Jets, David Hall was an excellent halfback for us and won the Tooheys top pointscorer award, his kicking and goal kicking game is great, goal kicking especially. Adam Bennett is a very competitive hooker who performs gallantly every week, wants to win and tackles anything.
You've picked up astutely with these guys, David Hall being probably one of the better buys, hes small but damn he can play.
Hally played for Eels Flegg early on then came to Port K, went great guns and is now off to u guys.
Good luck to them and u for this season!