What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Draginzaaar

Bench
Blame the f**king Gordon's not the club.

They could make things happen TPA wise and they just refuse to do anything whilst other cellar dweller clubs are now following the Uncle Nick way to do things.

FMD the billionaire that spent nothing is at the core of why we can't compete.

Little to no wonder we have no recruitment guy I can just imagine the following scenario.

Recruitment person: Hi, Bruce we just found out that big Nelson is available.

Gordon: Oh that's great what will he cost in the cap?

Recruitment person: Well we have the money in the cap already so no problem there.

Gordon: So we signed him did we?

Recruitment guy: No not yet?

Gordon: Why not?

Recruitment guy: Well we need to top up his pay packet to match that what he gets now plus a little bit more so we need a few $$ from our benefactor. to do that.
Click
Hello Bruce, hello, is anyone there.

It is high time that we realised the simple fact that managing the cap is no where enough to secure top players.

Hook is in fact managing the cap and getting it under control to put us in better shape but neither he or anybody else for that matter has any sway over the Gordon's.

So if the Gordon's who are major shareholders spend SFA then why would any other party want to do any TPA's?

If the major shareholders are not willing to spend a $ and show no belief in what we are doing there is little to no hope of anyone else stumping up $$.
TPA are supposed to be arranged by the player and Manager not the Club. I'm sure it's against the 'rules'.

Illusion

Bench
I come on, do you really think Rorters & BulldogS are playing by the rules? How could anyone prove a private discussion between the Gordon’s and their tv advertisers happened?
If we don't play it like the top sides , and we keep playing by the rules , then the club will be well and truly left behind ..... Need smart operators, which we obviously don't have .......

Old Timer

Coach
TPA are supposed to be arranged by the player and Manager not the Club. I'm sure it's against the 'rules'.
The notion that player managers are running around will nilly knocking on doors in the hope that someone might put a few bob in the brown paper bag is absurd and the stuff fairy tales are made from.

I'm sure that the Gordon's have many companies listed within their corporation that a players manager could approach to seek a TPA.

It would be laughable to think that a player looking to change clubs would not be given a heads up as to where a TPA might come from.

BLM01

First Grade
in theory that is how it is meant to work. But I am sure you would be aware that a lot of the rich owners / clubs have friends in high places. They are only a phone call? away.
The keys words in your statement "to be arranged". As long as no perception of attachment to the club how do you prove who and how it was arranged.

blacksafake

First Grade
So let me get this right, you want us to cheat, The club isn't responsible for 3rd party deals nor is Gordon, that's for the manager the guy who gets 6-10% of the players pay packet to organise that, if your scenario panned out with Gordon organising 3rd party deals and we got found out, everyone would be up in arms about it and giving it to the club etc for cheating and wanting them sacked..

This is true.
However, do you really think Gus or their major sponsor in Laundys Hotels are just sitting on their hands.

BLM01

First Grade
This is true.
However, do you really think Gus or their major sponsor in Laundys Hotels are just sitting on their hands.
No. Nor are the powerful and rich CB Leagues club which has never done across its BOD and management. Just the names they have had and links to businesses tell you that.
Our own Taj at Kogarah or even the Illawarra Leagues... well in recent times (since the merger?) appear to have done opposite?

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
This is true.
whether they are or aren't isn't the point and that's up to the NRL to catch them, the point is do you want "US" to cheat, if yes, then, what will you be saying if we get caught and lose premiership/points/fined etc, will you be blaming Webb/BoD/Gordon for cheating or getting caught.
Just because we assume they're cheating doesn't mean we should go out and cheat as well, people on here write about morals/ethics on so many other topics but are happy for the club to cheat.

denis preston

First Grade
whether they are or aren't isn't the point and that's up to the NRL to catch them, the point is do you want "US" to cheat, if yes, then, what will you be saying if we get caught and lose premiership/points/fined etc, will you be blaming Webb/BoD/Gordon for cheating or getting caught.
Just because we assume they're cheating doesn't mean we should go out and cheat as well, people on here write about morals/ethics on so many other topics but are happy for the club to cheat.
”Assume there cheating “ ? Our administration is , apart from many things, are absolutely guileless and failure to work the system like perennial top 4 sides is stark .

rasaint

Juniors
Having noted all the posts about TPAs and how the NRL cap auditor has apparently described these additional payments to players are arranged outside the salary cap; Im still confused. It seems that a player manager can sign a player to a club and then gain a sponsorship outside the cap by dealing directly with any business?

Logically, if a player signs with the dragons you would expect a local business or business affiliated with the dragons to sponsor the player. Otherwise as a ‘hypothetical‘ the dragons sign a top class back rower and then the players agent signs the player to a business ‘Queensland Banana Products’ based in Townsville. That seems pretty far fetched to me.

Have I missed something? I’m not the smartest bloke in the group. It would be interesting to know which players have TPAs, for what length of time and who that TPA sponsor in. Anyway, tally ho.

justadragon

Bench
Can someone please refresh my memory, the time we lost Gasnier , was that through failure of payment in his TPA, and I remember that the club got blamed for this.

blacksafake

First Grade
I’m not asking for the club to cheat just asking if the powers that be at the dogs are involved in “sending” managers in the right direction or staying arm’s length away?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Can someone please refresh my memory, the time we lost Gasnier , was that through failure of payment in his TPA, and I remember that the club got blamed for this.

Can't remember re Gasnier.

I do remember Chris Sandow leaving Parramatta in acrimonious circumstances. He was on a $550k/year deal. Part of his gripe was he claimed he was promised an extra $150k/year in TPA's by the club, which was never forthcoming. So it was pretty clear that some clubs were up to their necks in organising TPA's on behalf of their players, irrespective of what the salary cap rules said. Has that has been cleaned up now? I seriously doubt it.

Old Timer

Coach
Channel 9 was blamed, not the club.
I think the NRL also were in the mix for criticism re him not being paid for some so called "promotional work" on their behalf.

Gasnier had been mentioned as a target for the Waratahs and ARU and the NRL were making allsorts of promises to keep high profile players from leaving their ranks.