What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rule

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
One: Don't pick up the phone.

You know he's only callin' 'cause he's drunk and alone

getsmarty

Immortal
‘Not the game I played’: Legends, fans slam NRL crackdown after EIGHT sin-bin farce
0191abaad13a11479f1fc310191d4be8

Jordan Riki is sin binned.Source: FOX SPORTS
Simon Brunsdon and Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports
May 14th, 2021 10:43 pm
The NRL’s latest rules crackdown is being pulled apart by fans and experts alike after a stunning eight players were sin-binned in two games on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Four players were binned in the Tigers vs Knights clash, and then another four from the Broncos and Manly to finish the night.

“It isn’t the game that Corey (Parker) and I played,” Michael Ennis told Fox Leauge when Brisbane lost two players to the bin.

“It’s changed. It’s changed quickly.”

Parker was filthy at the double sin-binning and the sudden crackdown.

“They’re the people (the fans) that are missing out, the people paying ytheir hard-earned money to come and watch their stars play and it’s unable to happen,” Parker said.

“The standard has been set.”

802108_640x360_large_20210514220120.jpg

Bronco lands headbutt, gets binned | 00:43
Speaking on Fox League’s post-game show, game legends Greg Alexander and Gorden Tallis dived deeper into the issue.

“It ruins the spectacle. The game is the star,” Tallis said of the crackdown following a 50-6 Manly win over Brisbane.

“Accidents happen. Tyson Gamble’s tackle was not a (sin bin)... I’d hit a mozzie harder than that on my leg, that’s not a sin-bin offence.”

Alexander said the NRL’s crackdown was simply a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of recent incidents.

Jordan Pereira was not penalised sufficiently for a high shot on James Tedesco, and then Dylan Brown was not penalised at all for diving in with his knees into the back of Drew Hutchison.

“The edict that was sent out is an over-reaction because the bunker and the referees missed a couple of things over the last couple of weeks,” Alexander said.

“All of a sudden we need to be stronger on the high shots... well the Tyson Gamble one was not a sin-bin offence, it wasn’t.

“I don’t want to see players off the field for an over-reaction. We’re putting players off the field when the game is quicker than it’s been been before, the game has never been faster and we’re removing players from the field.

“Use common sense, common sense can be used. I don’t think what we saw tonight was common sense.”

Tallis was asked by Fox Leauge host Yvonne Sampson, “is this rugby league? Is this the game that you love?”.

Tallis replied, "it’s the game that I love but it’s a version I’m not liking at the moment.

“The game is tough, and I know we’ve got to clean it up... but it’s Magic Round, we want people here, it’s the cleanest the game has ever been.

“NRL is different to junior rugby league and we’re jumping at shadows.”

Friday’s clash was the first since the crackdown was revealed and we saw two Knights players and two Tigers players binned, then another Knight penalised for what the referee deemed a high shot — but Braith Anasta deemed a “sheer bump.”

With just over 15 minutes to go in the first half, Newcastle’s fill-in fullback Tex Hoy was sent for 10 for hanging onto Alex Twal’s leg for barely a second.

It came after three successive set restarts and so referee Grant Atkins made an example of him.

“You’ve had three six-again’s since the strip. So that’s about nine tackles,” he said.

A Newcastle player questioned why they weren’t given a warning but Atkins was having none of it.

“I don’t need to give you a warning. You know that you’re deliberately breaking it down,” he responded.

“The referee’s read, the feel for the game, that is deliberate, they’re both inside the 10 metre zone. You’re off to the bin,” Fox League commentator Andrew Voss said while watching on.

“That’s a big call,” Braith Anasta added.

Ten minutes later, Knights lock Mitch Barnett was penalised and put on report for a collecting on Jacob Liddle around the back of the head.

Liddle was falling as he passed onto Tom Mikaele to crash over when Barnett’s arm knocked him.

Mikaele’s try attempt was called back and Liddle was standing ready at dummy half when Atkins called Barnett over to penalise him.

“Oh boy... who picked that up?” Voss said while watching the replay.

“We were told if contact is minimal it’s a penalty. That was on the very low scale of minimal.”

Voss is correct. As part of the crackdown, even minimal contact will be penalised and put on report.

Anasta believes if that sets the precedent then the round will be littered with penalties.

“That’s about 30 penalties this weekend coming our way,” Anasta said.

“That’s a sheer bump.”

“Anyway, they’ve got the directive so they know they can’t make contact with the head or neck at all.”

But Voss was certain it wasn’t worthy of a penalty.

“There may be some short-term pain, but I have to say, we’ve got to call what we see, that’s not a penalty in my book at any time,” he said.

The Tigers got a taste of the referee’s zero tolerance for ruck infringements too. With just under 15 minutes left in the game, Joe Ofahengaue was sent to the bin for taking too long to let go in a tackle.

From there, Atkins’ whistle got a good workout. Lachlan Fitzgibbon was sent to the bin with just under two minutes left and Moses Mbye was binned on the full time buzzer — both for ruck infringements.

By the game there was a total of 17 penalties.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...f66d23725bf75a29baa5f25fee?recommendedCount=0

redv13

Bench
‘Not the game I played’: Legends, fans slam NRL crackdown after EIGHT sin-bin farce
0191abaad13a11479f1fc310191d4be8

Jordan Riki is sin binned.Source: FOX SPORTS
Simon Brunsdon and Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports
May 14th, 2021 10:43 pm
The NRL’s latest rules crackdown is being pulled apart by fans and experts alike after a stunning eight players were sin-binned in two games on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Four players were binned in the Tigers vs Knights clash, and then another four from the Broncos and Manly to finish the night.

“It isn’t the game that Corey (Parker) and I played,” Michael Ennis told Fox Leauge when Brisbane lost two players to the bin.

“It’s changed. It’s changed quickly.”

Parker was filthy at the double sin-binning and the sudden crackdown.

“They’re the people (the fans) that are missing out, the people paying ytheir hard-earned money to come and watch their stars play and it’s unable to happen,” Parker said.

“The standard has been set.”

802108_640x360_large_20210514220120.jpg

Bronco lands headbutt, gets binned | 00:43
Speaking on Fox League’s post-game show, game legends Greg Alexander and Gorden Tallis dived deeper into the issue.

“It ruins the spectacle. The game is the star,” Tallis said of the crackdown following a 50-6 Manly win over Brisbane.

“Accidents happen. Tyson Gamble’s tackle was not a (sin bin)... I’d hit a mozzie harder than that on my leg, that’s not a sin-bin offence.”

Alexander said the NRL’s crackdown was simply a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of recent incidents.

Jordan Pereira was not penalised sufficiently for a high shot on James Tedesco, and then Dylan Brown was not penalised at all for diving in with his knees into the back of Drew Hutchison.

“The edict that was sent out is an over-reaction because the bunker and the referees missed a couple of things over the last couple of weeks,” Alexander said.

“All of a sudden we need to be stronger on the high shots... well the Tyson Gamble one was not a sin-bin offence, it wasn’t.

“I don’t want to see players off the field for an over-reaction. We’re putting players off the field when the game is quicker than it’s been been before, the game has never been faster and we’re removing players from the field.

“Use common sense, common sense can be used. I don’t think what we saw tonight was common sense.”

Tallis was asked by Fox Leauge host Yvonne Sampson, “is this rugby league? Is this the game that you love?”.

Tallis replied, "it’s the game that I love but it’s a version I’m not liking at the moment.

“The game is tough, and I know we’ve got to clean it up... but it’s Magic Round, we want people here, it’s the cleanest the game has ever been.

“NRL is different to junior rugby league and we’re jumping at shadows.”

Friday’s clash was the first since the crackdown was revealed and we saw two Knights players and two Tigers players binned, then another Knight penalised for what the referee deemed a high shot — but Braith Anasta deemed a “sheer bump.”

With just over 15 minutes to go in the first half, Newcastle’s fill-in fullback Tex Hoy was sent for 10 for hanging onto Alex Twal’s leg for barely a second.

It came after three successive set restarts and so referee Grant Atkins made an example of him.

“You’ve had three six-again’s since the strip. So that’s about nine tackles,” he said.

A Newcastle player questioned why they weren’t given a warning but Atkins was having none of it.

“I don’t need to give you a warning. You know that you’re deliberately breaking it down,” he responded.

“The referee’s read, the feel for the game, that is deliberate, they’re both inside the 10 metre zone. You’re off to the bin,” Fox League commentator Andrew Voss said while watching on.

“That’s a big call,” Braith Anasta added.

Ten minutes later, Knights lock Mitch Barnett was penalised and put on report for a collecting on Jacob Liddle around the back of the head.

Liddle was falling as he passed onto Tom Mikaele to crash over when Barnett’s arm knocked him.

Mikaele’s try attempt was called back and Liddle was standing ready at dummy half when Atkins called Barnett over to penalise him.

“Oh boy... who picked that up?” Voss said while watching the replay.

“We were told if contact is minimal it’s a penalty. That was on the very low scale of minimal.”

Voss is correct. As part of the crackdown, even minimal contact will be penalised and put on report.

Anasta believes if that sets the precedent then the round will be littered with penalties.

“That’s about 30 penalties this weekend coming our way,” Anasta said.

“That’s a sheer bump.”

“Anyway, they’ve got the directive so they know they can’t make contact with the head or neck at all.”

But Voss was certain it wasn’t worthy of a penalty.

“There may be some short-term pain, but I have to say, we’ve got to call what we see, that’s not a penalty in my book at any time,” he said.

The Tigers got a taste of the referee’s zero tolerance for ruck infringements too. With just under 15 minutes left in the game, Joe Ofahengaue was sent to the bin for taking too long to let go in a tackle.

From there, Atkins’ whistle got a good workout. Lachlan Fitzgibbon was sent to the bin with just under two minutes left and Moses Mbye was binned on the full time buzzer — both for ruck infringements.

By the game there was a total of 17 penalties.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...f66d23725bf75a29baa5f25fee?recommendedCount=0
Standard jokers at NRL HQ making shit up on the run. Can’t wait till Saints lose players to the bin and Melbourne look like choir boys. Put your $$$ on that one!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Not really enjoying the football this year! High scoring rubbish. For years in an attempt to open up the game they’ve got the teams too far back. This has unfortunately resulted in the removal of the effective leg tacker and only promoted grab tacking by three players to slow the game down as the leg tackler will be on the ground and thus susceptible to a quick play the ball. If no ones going low there will naturally be mistimed tackles around the head and bad defensive techniques.

So now where left with a game that resembles touch football in structure, is too fast with embarrassing blown out score lines. Combine that with no contest scrums and ad nauseam replays the game i feel is unfortunately losing its fabric and much of its spectator appeal ...

TruSaint

Referee
Not really enjoying the football this year! High scoring rubbish. For years in an attempt to open up the game they’ve got the teams too far back. This has unfortunately resulted in the removal of the effective leg tacker and only promoted grab tacking by three players to slow the game down as the leg tackler will be on the ground and thus susceptible to a quick play the ball. If no ones going low there will naturally be mistimed tackles around the head and bad defensive techniques.

So now where left with a game that resembles touch football in structure, is too fast with embarrassing blown out score lines. Combine that with no contest scrums and ad nauseam replays the game’s i feel is unfortunately losing its fabric and much of its spectator appear imo....

Spot on.

This isn't rugby league anymore.

110 points scored in 2 games last night. The discretion to bin players, the subjective 6 again call, its touch footy point-athon.

Leave the game alone FFS.

We barely got a chance to get used to the 6 again call, now we will have teams playing with 1-2 less during a game.

So now where left with a game that resembles touch football in structure, is too fast with embarrassing blown out score lines. Combine that with no contest scrums and ad nauseam replays the game i feel is unfortunately losing its fabric and much of its spectator appeal ...
Constant medaling with rules and interpretations only serves to ruin the spectacle. It is all pc rubbish. Blown out farcical high scores are now the norm. The old maxim 'don't hurt mummies little boy' is now at the forefront.

blacksafake

First Grade

Good post:thumbsup:
Tackling around the legs was always the first thing you were taught as a kid when you turned up to your first night of training.
I’m not liking the game as it is.

Illusion

Bench
This rule about contact with the head is a joke.
This is not rugby league.
It's getting softer by every game.
Most of the sin bins wouldn't have bruised a tomato.
It will.turn fans turn off
games
I don't want to watch touch football.
Spot on jeff the way its going also with the 6 again rule it end up with quick players no forwards and not much ball movement until on the oppositions line .......

BLM01

First Grade
I wouldn't mind if old-fashioned legs tackles were rewarded.
Agree and went stricter on rules around incorrect play the balls from attackers who try to do everything at break neck speed
Or keep on binning
Soon earn to stop this stand up and grab tackle
we do that stuff in red shorts playing masters rugby league

TruSaint

Referee
One of the most enthralling aspects of watching RL for me, is seeing gutsy defence on the line.

That happens so rarely now.

Teams coming off their line are seeking a "repeat" set, with as @BLM01 said, ridiculously speedy play the balls that don't resemble such, and a ref guided by HQ to speed the game up at any cost.

There is no reward to tight defences pinning a team inside their 20. Watch and see how more often than not, a repeat set is called very early on in these cases.

Its not footy.