1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

New Sideline Eye.

Discussion in 'NRL' started by TheRam, May 2, 2012.

1. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

I'd like to make an observation on the contribution Hayden Knowles made at the start of last Monday Night's Football presentation and his insight into what goes on during the warm up. It got me thinking that this guy would make a fantastic sideline eye. His understanding of what is going on with the fatigue and fitness of the players, plus his natural exuberance and cantor would be a real revelation for the commentary team.

It seemed to me that he would really add to our understanding of the action on the field at any given time and not just rollout the typical nothing statements made most of the time by the brain dead ex-footy players that are normally given this duty. He was very well spoken which would on its own be a huge improvement for most games.

Did anyone else see him and like to make a comment?

2. grouch

grouch First Grade

I enjoyed the interview and found his perspective insightful and engaging. However I think as a permanent sideline commentator it would become one-dimensional and repetitive. As a one-off or even an occasionally recurring guest interviewee it works

3. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

Surely he couldn't be as one dimensional as most that do it now. Besides he could give us an insight into different players stress thresholds and all the tit bits about players that only trainers would really know pertinent to what they are doing on the field at that time, or point out players that do this or that under this condition or that scenario.

4. Ronnie Dobbs

Ronnie Dobbs Coach

The worst sideline eye is Gasnier.

Sounds like Kostya Tszyu when he first got here from Russia.

He goes OK on a panel, but when he's under the pump on the sideline, he's woeful.

Dumb as dog shit.

5. Fire

Fire First Grade

Saw the interview and really enjoyed what he had to say.

Agree he would make a great sideline commentator.

I wonder if any NRL clubs employ the guy, and if so which ones.

6. gUt

gUt Coach

To me the interview highlighted the difference in quality between Fox and 9 although it has to be acknowledged that Fox has a lot more time to slot stuff like this into the broadcast.

7. Hollywood Jesus

Hollywood Jesus Coach

Fire, he worked for Parra for many, many years. He was an institution at our Club.

8. nrlnrl

nrlnrl First Grade

maybe Channel 9 could get him to do ads during the 2nd Friday night game

9. Chicken_Hunter

Chicken_Hunter Coach

Would be good, also, as someone said in another thread, we need more coaches on NRL Panels as they add a lot more than current or ex players.