What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New television

Lambretta

First Grade
I am looking at buying a 58 inch Hisense

Is their stuff any good?

I have an old Samsung 37 inch that I love and a Panasonic 55 inch but will be looking for a new TV for my own TV room.

Will mainly watch sport (League or Soccer mainly) and Netflix
Should I worry abour refresh rates etc?

It's priced at $750 which I thought was good value

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I'm led to believe that there are only two actual LCD screen manufacturers in the world.

I've had a Panasonic 55 inch myself. Absolutely no complaints. Now watching a 32 inch Hisense with only one problem. When the remote shits itself, good luck finding one that does everything. Gotta go the online programmable Harmony brand to get any satisfaction. Forget generic remotes.

I suppose it all comes down to the guts behind the screen. And if you want a TV that picks your nose hairs and predicts when your dog is pregnant, go Samsung or LG.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We have a 4 year old Hisense.

The SD and HD tuners are f**ked and the remote is playing up.

Screen still works okay, just running everything thru the Foxtel box..

Won’t be buying another one.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Samsung or Sony are the best IMO.

Refresh rates mean much. It's mainly BS marketing. Go into a store and have a look, trust what your eyes like. Different people are sensitive to different things in an image.

I used to have a Hisene. Atrocious buck passing customer service if something does go wrong.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Bought an LG either 50 or 55 inch back in 2014 and had no problems with it until a few months ago, white spots started appearing on the screen, I googled the problem and it was a problem with plastic covering the led light becomes loose and falls off, it did have a quick fix on it but seeing I had a 5 year extended warranty on my whole system purchased I rang Harvey Norman and they sent one of their approved servicers out to have a look and confirmed that it was indeed the problem, so I was offered either they would take it away and fix it or replace it with a similar brand new model, seeing the TV was coming up to just on 5 years old I took the replacement offer, it is supposed to be delivered next Monday.

Apparently this was a problem with LG and Samsung TVs made years ago and the problem has been rectified in recent models, not sure what other brands were affected but as Veggiepatch mentioned there are probably only 2 LCD screen manufactures in the world.
Apart from the spots the TV has been great and never missed a beat, just hope the replacement model is just as good.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
I went into Hardly Normal today to have a look at the Hisense. The picture was completely washed out and naff looking. It might have been deliberately set up like that to put people off, but I wasn't impressed.

I was watching a soccer match on it and the ball didn't move fluidly. So I probably won't buy it. As someone said, trust your eyes.

I did like a 55 inch LG for $1295 and a Yamaha sound bar for $325. Seemed like a well priced combo.

The LG had an impressive processor and great smart options built-in

That could be the go

horrie hastings

First Grade
The replacement LG I am getting is the 55UM76 model , will let you know how it is once I have a test drive of it. Can't remember how much i paid for the sound bar but it was harman/ kardon brand, very slim line, 5 years on still sounds fantastic with the TV, DVD, CD player running though it and just more recently the old turntable hooked up, almost got a Yamaha sound bar which sounded great and was the only one apart from the Harmon / Kardon which I liked the sound of but happy I settled on the Harmon / Kardon one in the end. Have to admit the guy from Harvey Norman was puzzled when I wanted to still have a CD player with the set up I was purchasing, i ended up getting a Yamaha CD player because My Sony one finally died just before I purchased the new system back in 2014.

Life's Good

Coach
No surprise I have an LG smart TV. Going on 5 years & it’s not missed a beat(obviously it will sh*t itself this week).
The only thing is the remote seems to chew through batteries at a great rate. It could be the kids leaving worn batteries around which I then use in the remote. Other than that Id have no problem recommending the LG product.
Good luck

___

Juniors
I had a Sony and the remote because nearly unusable about 4 years and the sound mode would at times change itself

Since then I bought a Samsung. No complaints. The remote is small and doesn't have rubber buttons so it doesn't look like it can stuff up as easily. 65 inches, LED, free delivery, and 5 year gold warranty from The Good Guys (this warranty give us 3 x $20 gift vouchers over 5 years - $300 value all up, you practically get your warranty money back).

You'll need 2 people to set it up as it's quite big, but I haven't looked back. Watching Netflix or sport or anything really in HD is awesome.

horrie hastings

First Grade
No surprise I have an LG smart TV. Going on 5 years & it’s not missed a beat(obviously it will sh*t itself this week).
The only thing is the remote seems to chew through batteries at a great rate. It could be the kids leaving worn batteries around which I then use in the remote. Other than that Id have no problem recommending the LG product.
Good luck

Was so happy with my LG till it got the white spots which could quite easily be fixed but seeing the TV was coming up to 5 years old next month I opted for the replacement instead of the fix, only had a day to have quick look around with the new model but it leaves my old set for dead feature wise, I thought my older set could do lots, this can do lots more, looking forward to exploring more when I get some time off. You mentioned about batteries with your LG remote, think I only changed mine twice in the almost 5 years that I had it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I have a Panasonic Vieira 55” 4K Smart TV that I bought on Grays Online maybe 18 months ago. Definitely a good way to get jap quality at Chinese prices, I paid about $850 at a time when they were $1500+ retail.
It’s a good unit picture wise though Panasonic’s Smart TV implementation isn’t the greatest as they use an OS that isn’t super widely supported with add ons. The Netflix, Stan, SBS, iView etc apps all work well though and having a Netflix button on the remote is nice. I can see myself getting 4-5 years out of this unit, by which point I’ll have got great value out of it (though until now I haven’t really used the 4K feature as the NBN has only just arrived at mine).

Dogs Of War

Coach
Ive not had a problem with my Hisense. Have the 67" version. Just need to play with the settings a little. I have an apple TV connected to it to do all the cool stuff.

And I don't care what TV you buy, you will need to play with the settings.

Maybe when your in store, try changing the settings to something like this,

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2789683

Lambretta

First Grade
I purchased the LG SM8100 55 inch tv for $1,200

Seems like a decent television for the money

It will be the main room tv

Pretty sure the 50 inch Panasonic will be taken by the girls and I'll be left with the rickety old Samsung 37 inch lol

jargan83

Coach
I bought a Samsung Q7 4K TV back in January that if weren't against god's law I would marry it.

Streaming services look amazing on it, Foxtel depending on what the show is but the sports channels aren't crystal clear but I'm not giving Foxtel and extra $15 for their HD package.

Backup TV is a Sony Bravia that I bought back in 2009 and is still working fine, remote is dead though.

Pommy

Coach
I bought a Samsung Q7 4K TV back in January that if weren't against god's law I would marry it.

Streaming services look amazing on it, Foxtel depending on what the show is but the sports channels aren't crystal clear but I'm not giving Foxtel and extra $15 for their HD package.

Backup TV is a Sony Bravia that I bought back in 2009 and is still working fine, remote is dead though.

Just so you’re aware Kayo streams in HD for no extra cost.
Probably not worth it if you’re bothered about the rest of your Foxtel package though.
I have an 86” LG and it looks great.

jargan83

Coach
Just so you’re aware Kayo streams in HD for no extra cost.
Probably not worth it if you’re bothered about the rest of your Foxtel package though.
I have an 86” LG and it looks great.

I’ve been thinking about Kayo, I watch pretty much sport only but the missus watches other garbage on Foxtel.

Latest posts