What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench
So far as I can gather New Zealand rugby salaries aren't substantial.
With a salary cap around just under 5 million put the 5 NZ rugby franchises at say 25 million.
Rugby league salary cap is around 11 million.
With just the Warriors it puts the wages on offer in NZ just under half that of Union.
Another team brings it up to 22 million- nearly parity! Spread only among 2 teams with smaller rosters!

Rugby league will have be in the box seat to lure the best RU talent and place the sport in higher prestige.

With a salary cap around just under 5 million put the 5 NZ rugby franchises at say 25 million.
With just the Warriors it puts the wages on offer in NZ just under half that of Union.
Another team brings it up to 22 million- nearly parity! Spread only among 2 teams with smaller rosters!

Rugby league will have be in the box seat to lure the best RU talent and place the sport in higher prestige.

Can Australian union afford to raise its salary cap?

Pippen94

First Grade
domestic RU in NZ is in huge trouble I would say... League, soccer, basketball could absolutely crush it over the next few years if they really wanted to

Sure it isn't. Why do ppl think union ppl are just ready to become league fans & ditch sport they love?!

Gobsmacked

Bench
domestic RU in NZ is in huge trouble I would say... League, soccer, basketball could absolutely crush it over the next few years if they really wanted
A new franchise on the southern island could pay overs for the 2 biggest stars from Union without batting an eye and still have the bulk of their cap to build a quality roster.
Can you imagine the press coverage? The NRL would get more eyes on screens in NZ and get an even bigger NZ TV deal. Then there would be the rivalry game with the Warriors only twice a year.
They'd catch the imagination Of local juniors and broaden the talent pool almost immediately.

Think about this:
NRL following is roughly lets say 10 M in Aus, 1.5 M in NZ png ect

15M or there about.

Super rugby let's say 2 M in Aus, 3M in NZ fiji ect

7 M or there about

So a young kids coming through.
Going to league he could play in front of twice as many people for twice as much money and see the ball twice as much..in a faster more exciting game.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Sure it isn't. Why do ppl think union ppl are just ready to become league fans & ditch sport they love?!
It isn't so much about fans ditching union. It is attracting the most talented athletes to the NRL. Fans generally follow the best athletes. That doesn't mean they ditch old loyalties but pick up new ones.

Then stretch that out over 20 years or a generation or 2 and who knows.

Pippen94

First Grade
It isn't so much about fans ditching union. It is attracting the most talented athletes to the NRL. Fans generally follow the best athletes. That doesn't mean they ditch old loyalties but pick up new ones.

Then stretch that out over 20 years or a generation or 2 and who knows.

Who the f..is @Perth Tiger?! One hardcore expansionist from the west is enough for this place. Sell crazy some place else..

The next 3 NRL teams should come from Perth, NZ 2 and another club in QLD, but we are a bit off from that at the moment

Perth Tiger

Bench
The next 3 NRL teams should come from Perth, NZ 2 and another club in QLD, but we are a bit off from that at the moment
I generally agree but that other team from Qld would be team 20 so would be more a floating idea with NZ3, PNG, Adelaide also options if they can overcome significant hurdles. Qld would be favorite at the moment but I wouldn't expect team 20 to come in the 15 years so things could change.

I cant see us going past 20 teams for a very long time so team 20 would essentially lock out any region that misses out.

I think the real interesting conversation is whether you go Perth or NZ2 first. Both have pluses and negatives

Pippen94

First Grade
Nz rugby fans aren't going to swap support for league. An NRL side may carve niche, but reminds me of afl thinking indigenous community in western sydney was just going to switch to new side there. Just patronizing arrogance with little knowledge of locals

Gobsmacked

Bench
You sound like afl fans who think ppl around the world only need to see game to convert.
Doesn't matter how I sound to you.
You're probably some old flanker holding on to the glory days with your schoolboy chums, you're just not capable of understanding this from a purely spectacle perspective.
Union is boring and slow with too many stoppages.
Even they know it and are always having meetings to try a speed it up, have more try and less stoppages..
Basically either League takes over or Union changes to be more like league.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It wouldn't be that hard for NZ union players to move to Australia and play in the NRL - so why aren't they doing so in large numbers?
They don't get offers of any significant magnitude because they're untried. A South Island team would surely make offers at least from a marketing perspective it would be a good investment. If say Souths went after a big NZ Union name, it wouldn’t sell a seat in Sydney and you could be left with a hole in your cap on a failed convert.
A south island team luring an All black would be in every newspaper in NZ and most certainly put bums on seats.

bazza

Referee
They don't get offers of any significant magnitude because they're untried. A South Island team would surely make offers at least from a marketing perspective it would be a good investment. If say Souths went after a big NZ Union name, it wouldn’t sell a seat in Sydney and you could be left with a hole in your cap on a failed convert.
A south island team luring an All black would be in every newspaper in NZ and most certainly put bums on seats.
Why don't the Warriors sign the union players?