What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Te Kaha

First Grade

This shows that super rugby tv ratings in nz have fallen by almost 50 percent

the warriors get higher ratings than this

You do know, you just point blank lied there don't you? That's truly pathetic you wally.

And it looks like Rugby is by far and away still king in NZ.

Have a guess what sport is not getting ratings comparable to the All Blacks

Oh.. and that doesn't include SkySportNow where most sports only accounts are.

EDIT. This is getting weird. I get notified this post is deleted and its still here, then another disappears without notification.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You know sometimes you come up with good posts in between the rubbish
IF you're going to make statement of fact then you need to show the data that those statements are made from. Are there any figures for SkyNZ viewing for Warriors games in 2022? Its a simple question.

Sky NZ paid $92.6mill + 5% ownership of the company for Union (2021 deal) and $32mill for NRL (2023 deal). It doesnt seem that smacks of RL dominance.

I hate Union as much, in fact more than, most but Im not seeing any data to suggest RL is within a country mile of Union in NZ, or is ever likely to be.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
IF you're going to make statement of fact then you need to show the data that those statements are made from. Are there any figures for SkyNZ viewing for Warriors games in 2022? Its a simple question.

Sky NZ paid $92.6mill + 5% ownership of the company for Union (2021 deal) and $32mill for NRL (2023 deal). It doesnt seem that smacks of RL dominance.

I hate Union as much, in fact more than, most but Im not seeing any data to suggest RL is within a country mile of Union in NZ, or is ever likely to be.
That Inlcudes internationals

just when I thought you were on a role you go and put your foot in it

warriors one nrl team 3million

warriors games have gotten over 250k viewers on

super rugby ratings and crowds have collapsed in nz that’s factual and undeniable

Gobsmacked

Bench
Except none of the "numbers" you quote are from NZ. You are failing in this and you have been from the beginning. There wont be an NZ2 team anytime soon. After last weeks announcement about "20 teams" not a single person came out with ANY bid information. Not even the con man Chalmers.

I think you're making his point for him.
5 teams 96 mil
1 team 30 mil

Perth Red

Post Whore
That Inlcudes internationals

just when I thought you were on a role you go and put your foot in it

warriors one nrl team 3million

warriors games have gotten over 250k viewers on

super rugby ratings and crowds have collapsed in nz that’s factual and undeniable
It’s ok to have a discussion without getting upset mate!
I’m not questioning that some warriors games “have got“ 250k, I’m asking if you’ve seen any data on warriors 2022 tv audiences? Whats their avg audience? What’s other nrl games pulling? the tv deals for the two codes are massively different, that would suggest sky values union an awful lot more than league doesn’t it?

skynz are buying 8 games a week, not just the warriors game.

it sounds like they have, though again Confirmed data seems hard to come by especially as finding union crowd figures is as hard as finding a worthwhile docbrown post!

Wb1234

Referee
It’s ok to have a discussion without getting upset mate!
I’m not questioning that some warriors games “have got“ 250k, I’m asking if you’ve seen any data on warriors 2022 tv audiences? Whats their avg audience? What’s other nrl games pulling? the tv deals for the two codes are massively different, that would suggest sky values union an awful lot more than league doesn’t it?

skynz are buying 8 games a week, not just the warriors game.

it sounds like they have, though again Confirmed data seems hard to come by especially as finding union crowd figures is as hard as finding a worthwhile docbrown post!
Taking out the internationals the residual value of six super rugby teams in nz will be lucky to match that of one rugby league team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Taking out the internationals the residual value of six super rugby teams in nz will be lucky to match that of one rugby league team
What’s it matter if it’s domestic or international? It’s still revenue for the code.
What did skynz pay to cover the kiwis in the same period?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I assume you're resorting to culturally Japanese for this post? Well, no they're not, but for the umpteenth time that is irrelevant.

As per the usual delusion in this thread, I wouldn't be getting too cocky, the Drua just beat the Crusaders at home. Super Rugby is clearly getting sneaky by allowing the PIs to win some big games. :D

And for another umpteenth time, league will never take over NZ unless it sorts out the grassroots. That's where the NRL needs to throw a big bunch of money.
That's where the money is about to flow my friend so enjoy the ride.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shifting the goalposts
You did indeed. Skynz pay three times union for their rights plus 5% ownership compared to what they pay for nrl, and the pittance they no doubt pay for kiwi games. But yeh I’m sure it’s a sign union is dying lol,

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes you have been called out about racism, especially when its this obvious. And I got "called out" because you idiots can't read and comprehend.
And now your diversion what "RU officials and fans" do is irrelevant. What's happened on here is relevant. And the only ones who "throw shit" at another sport are you and your ilk. Nobody in here is "throwing shit
" at league. But go ahead make something else up.

You stated that people who the Japanese government consider Japanese because they weren't born there. Yet Tongans and Samoans who had never been to Tonga or Samoa, had no parents born there only grandparents where Tongan and Samoan. Tongans and Samoans, whose government even state aren't legally Tongan or Samoan.
The only reason someone would be that hypocritical is because they are fundamentally stupid or it's racial.

And once again you are rewriting what happened. Someone stated that "The Brave Blossoms are a great example. The progress they've made over the last 30 years is astounding." You said it was because and I quote filling your squad with Aussies, Kiwis, Tongans and South Africans and calling the team 'Japan' isn't that impressive Then when it was pointed out that the national squad for the coming year had 70% Japanese in it, you claimed that those who the Japanese government consider Japanese aren't. At the same time you lauded Tonga and Samoa when their teams are full of players who had never even been to the Islands.
Yawn, stop making it about race. It is about RU and their BS that this is a real Japanese team, developed from that ''mighty'' Rugby country Japan. It's not, it's a bunch of mercenaries pulling on the Japanese shirt. Like I've said, and I won't keep repeating it. Great for them and for Japan, they are eligible under the rules, but they aren't products of the Japanese Ruby system. The team is a joke.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's not a bail out, you were/are pushing some really insidious ideas. But I'm not really interested in exploring those ideas any further aside from saying that you were muddying the waters between a national side and an ethnic one.

The Japanese RU team has significantly more home grown players than any international RL side outside of AUS,NZ, ENG, FR, and PNG, yet you laud international RL sides like Samoa, Tonga, Lebanon, etc, and criticise international RU sides like Japan, Argentina, etc.

Furthermore, for the most part the international RU sides amount of home grown talent has been steadily increasing over the years, where with the highly debatable exception of Fiji (it basically depends on how you define home grown), the same is not true in international RL.

You can continue to pretend that isn't the case, but it just makes you a hypocrite.
I've never once lauded the development and pathways that RL has in place in Tonga or Samoa so don't make shit up to suit your story. The pathways are only now just being looked and and will take many decades but at least it is starting to happen, no matter the selfish reasons the NRL are doing it, it will still grow the game and other international sides.

I'd encourage you to look through the full squads of quite a few 'top' international RU sides. You will be shocked what you find. Again, good on those players, they are eligible, but I'm not coping this BS story that RU is so global that most teams are made up of ring-ins and PI's make up 20% of the global RU player pool still.

Wb1234

Referee
You did indeed. Skynz pay three times union for their rights plus 5% ownership compared to what they pay for nrl, and the pittance they no doubt pay for kiwi games. But yeh I’m sure it’s a sign union is dying lol,
Yeh mainly for the all blacks

the rest isn’t very valuable at all

especially when we see the value of one nz nrl side

the union trolls on here have said themselves super rugby isn’t important it’s all about the all blacks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh mainly for the all blacks

the rest isn’t very valuable at all

especially when we see the value of one nz nrl side

the union trolls on here have said themselves super rugby isn’t important it’s all about the all blacks
International and domestic tv value is intrinsically linked together in union. where as we have put all our eggs on the domestic basket they have both to sell, with international being of greater value. Which I suspect you k kw so not sure what you’re arguing? End of day it’s about revenue and the money a game has.
$8.8milion (plus $18mill club funding) nzrl, $308mill nzru.
that’s why rl will never get close to union in nz.

Wb1234

Referee
International and domestic tv value is intrinsically linked together in union. where as we have put all our eggs on the domestic basket they have both to sell, with international being of greater value. Which I suspect you k kw so not sure what you’re arguing? End of day it’s about revenue and the money a game has.
$8.8milion (plus $18mill club funding) nzrl, $308mill nzru.
that’s why rl will never get close to union in nz.
This post is a whole lot of bs

Perth Red

Post Whore
This post is a whole lot of bs
Care to elaborate?
How will rl overtake union when the revenue gap between the two codes is so massive? it’s a nonsense argument, can rl grow?
Absolutely it can, it’s primed to. But it would need a pretty radical strategy and a major investment of funds to make It happen. I havent seen indications of either from the arlc and nzrl simply doesn’t have the money to do anything more.