What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Referee
If the current form sticks & turnout stays strong, I wonder how long until the Warriors start moving games to Eden Park to take advantage of the bigger capacity there?

I actually think there's a chance of that if we snare a home playoff game.
Longer term new shared stadium makes the most sense

Gobsmacked

Bench
If the current form sticks & turnout stays strong, I wonder how long until the Warriors start moving games to Eden Park to take advantage of the bigger capacity there?

I actually think there's a chance of that if we snare a home playoff game.
Imagine a NZ2 and you'd have a sold out Eden park for the derby.
It would be massive.

Wb1234

Referee
I actually think if the Warriors hit a golden era, it might be the catalyst for a decent new stadium development in Auckland.

Isn't that what happened with the Cowboys?
They won the 2015 gf and jt made noises on the podium saying where’s our new stadium

and they are the sole tenant

the blues and warriors would share it and hopefully it would be rectangular

Christchurch and denedin have managed it so a city the size of Auckland should

flippikat

Bench
They won the 2015 gf and jt made noises on the podium saying where’s our new stadium

and they are the sole tenant

the blues and warriors would share it and hopefully it would be rectangular

Christchurch and denedin have managed it so a city the size of Auckland should
If a new rectangular Auckland stadium was built, you could potentially have the following tenants (best case scenario):

Warriors - March-September
Blues (Super Rugby) - February-June
All Blacks (test series) - a game or two in July-August
Auckland (NPC Provincial team) - August-October
Auckland A-League Men's team - October-June

Add to that concerts & events that would fill-out the summer schedule, and that's a LOT of use!

Wb1234

Referee
If a new rectangular Auckland stadium was built, you could potentially have the following tenants (best case scenario):

Add to that concerts & events that would fill-out the summer schedule, and that's a LOT of use!
Forgot about the a league team

flippikat

Bench
Forgot about the a league team
IMO that largely depends on that new stadium having a "club mode" where the top deck can be "curtained-off" leaving an approx 20k (give or take) "lower bowl" so smaller games get a decent atmosphere.

Otherwise, they might just play out of Mount Smart or North Harbour Stadium, or Eden Park if it ends up being dramatically down-sized (and not demolished completely) after a new stadium is built.

I think it'd be a worthwhile investment for any new Auckland stadium to have that flexibility, because the variation in crowd sizes is huge.

Wb1234

Referee
IMO that largely depends on that new stadium having a "club mode" where the top deck can be "curtained-off" leaving an approx 20k (give or take) "lower bowl" so smaller games get a decent atmosphere.

Otherwise, they might just play out of Mount Smart or North Harbour Stadium, or Eden Park if it ends up being dramatically down-sized (and not demolished completely) after a new stadium is built.

I think it'd be a worthwhile investment for any new Auckland stadium to have that flexibility, because the variation in crowd sizes is huge.
If it’s to hold all blacks tests then it needs to be 40k minimum and then yeh it’s average for club games

parra or aami park are perfect for rugby league

jim_57

Staff member

You’d think 50k would be the minimum if it’s going to host All Blacks games but then that is too big for most club games so something like that could definitely be worthwhile depending on the cost.

Would there be an outside chance of them building a cheaper 25-30k stadium for Warriors, Blues & A-League and keeping Eden Park as the “event” stadium for All Blacks and bigger club games?

flippikat

Bench
You’d think 50k would be the minimum if it’s going to host All Blacks games but then that is too big for most club games so something like that could definitely be worthwhile depending on the cost.

Would there be an outside chance of them building a cheaper 25-30k stadium for Warriors, Blues & A-League and keeping Eden Park as the “event” stadium for All Blacks and bigger club games?
Ahh but the problem then becomes upkeep & maintenance for Eden Park. If it's only used for a handful of big games per year, what's the point?

I'd demolish Eden Park, build a new 55-60k ground (with club mode for 20k-ish) somewhere in the CBD, keep Mount Smart as a 20-25k second/clash venue, with an upgrade/refurbishment plan...and have cricket bugger off to It's own custom-built oval venue.. whether that's the current site of Eden Park, Western Springs, or somewhere else.

Oh, and North Harbour Stadium is doing no harm as it is.. leave it for local (North Harbour) sports North of the bridge & the ABL baseball team in Summer

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
This thread is going into every flight of fantasy. Auckland couldn't even bite the bullet and build a new stadium when it was hosting a RWC so I highly doubt they'll sort their shit out now.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Don’t forget the Pacifica lol

Brian potter

Bench
None of that makes them the 2 biggest sides. And all the NZ derbies at Eden park have got similar crowds. And Saturday nights game will as well.
so who would you say are NZ 2 biggest sides mate and who would you say have the biggest rivalry?
Which is totally irrelevant. Jeez you are getting more and more desperate, This thread is an attack thread about NZ Rugby, not brisbane you muppet.
it’s totally relevant when debating which is the biggest and more popular competition mate.

Latest posts