What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Gobsmacked

Bench

Nothing has changed since he said that if anything the case is more compelling now
"especially if it's based in New Zealand and drawing from a player pool largely outside of Australia where the Dolphins have found it difficult to build a squad."

NZ2 will grow the player pool substantially , which is the most critical component needed for 20 teams.

Matiunz

Juniors
That's why I thought Waikato would be a far better idea, having a true base there, maybe 6-8 games then travel for the rest (Napier, Wellington, BOP)
Keep it a lower north island team, but close enough to Auckland that derbies would sell out in a larger venue
Waikato would be pretty far down the list for me. Too close to Auckland that it essentially puts up a wall on Warriors growth at the bombays, too far away from the southern NI provinces to be a point of difference to the Warriors so they’d struggle to attract new fans, Hamiltons a big country town really and it doesn’t have a particularly exciting reputation it’d be tough to recruit players to move there.
Never say never but it’d be 4th at best. Selfish reasons I’d want Wellington in but concede CHCH is probably the better option at this point in time

Matiunz

Juniors
"especially if it's based in New Zealand and drawing from a player pool largely outside of Australia where the Dolphins have found it difficult to build a squad."

NZ2 will grow the player pool substantially , which is the most critical component needed for 20 teams.
NZ and PNG at least opens up greater avenues to grow the player base, from an NZ pov I’d just want to make sure it benefits a NZ team first rather than our best go to other clubs

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We havent seen the NZ bids they were pretty sketchy early on in how they would fund it, if that hasnt changed its hard to see a financially risk averse NRL just taking a punt that they'll be alright.
Financially risk averse? Or is it just financially responsible? Seems like a reasonable way to approach expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Around a decade ago I flew into Queenstown with my then missus and got a campervan and toured the island. Such a good experience. Just Gods country stuff everywhere you go.
went white water rafting out of queenstown years ago in March time, really thought I was going to lose a limb to frostbite!

Gobsmacked

Bench
eh? whose fave for club 18? cuckoo
Favourites? According to who? Folks on here? The Papers?
I'm not so sure you want to pull that thread mate lol
Why do you head down the local and place some bets on the " Favourite "

Please enjoy your imaginary comfort while it lasts.

NZ 2 are clear Favourites because they are in front on every metric that the NRL are looking at. Every single aspect is superior to any other bid by far.
Reality doesn't make headlines or get clicks though and favouritism isn't forged entirely by logic but popular public opinion which will decive the masses, as it has.

I'd be very concerned if I was you too.