What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights 2019 Team

Yosh

Coach
Updated 2018/08/16

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Edrick Lee
3.Jesse Ramien
4.Tautau Moga
5.Shaun Kenny Dowell
6.Connor Watson
7.Mitchell Pearce
8. -
9.Danny Levi
10. -
11.Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12.Aiden Guerra
13.Herman Ese'ese

14.Sione Mata'utia
15.Daniel Saifiti
16.Tim Glasby
17. -

18. (New Prop)
19. (New Prop)
20. Mitch Barnett
21. Jacob Saifiti
22. (New Half)
23. Nathan Ross
24. Hymel Hunt
25. Jamie Buhrer

Last edited:

Loose Cannon

Bench
1. Ponga
2. Lee
3. Ramien
4. Moga (Ross until ready)
5. SKD
6. Watson
7. Pearce (c)

8. Ese’ese
9. Levi
10. Daifiti
11. Fitz
12. Sione
13. Guerra

14. Griffin (ideally, resign Buhrer for a year to cover until fit, if ever)
15. Barnett
16. Jaifiti
17. Glasby

Sione to switch if outside back goes down (during game only, next week Ross can start).

Dave_

Juniors
No injuries next year thanks. Why is it that some teams just don't seem to get any injuries and others get them all. Can't be a coincidence

Spot On

Coach
Depth is still a massive issue. Need a few more signings yet.

I'd really like to move away from the 2 hookers scenario.

Swarzey

Bench
Pearce never had a major injury before he came to us. Players like Moga and Griffin showed no signs of their dodgy knees causing them problems last year. I wouldn't blame someone for thinking that there's a problem at the club but we have arguably the game's best Physical Performance Manager in Ayoub. Our facilities are regarded as some of the best in the game.

We're just unlucky. Very, very unlucky when it comes to injuries and we don't have the depth to cover players. Club needs to be more proactive in bringing in better depth but not expect to hang onto them; cycle through QLD and NSW Cup players every 2 years or so. I think our performance center will do some good in the future in developing more local talent from the Real NRL.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Pearce never had a major injury before he came to us. Players like Moga and Griffin showed no signs of their dodgy knees causing them problems last year. I wouldn't blame someone for thinking that there's a problem at the club but we have arguably the game's best Physical Performance Manager in Ayoub. Our facilities are regarded as some of the best in the game.

We're just unlucky. Very, very unlucky when it comes to injuries and we don't have the depth to cover players. Club needs to be more proactive in bringing in better depth but not expect to hang onto them; cycle through QLD and NSW Cup players every 2 years or so. I think our performance center will do some good in the future in developing more local talent from the Real NRL.

WTF both Moga and Griffin were always going to be risky signings due to their long history of dodgy knees.
No other clubs were willing to sign them on decent deals.
We took the risk.
All I see are excuses.

Knight Vision

First Grade
1. Kayln Ponga
2. Edrick Lee
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall

6. Conner Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce

8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Danny Levi
10. Jacob Saifiti
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Herman Ese'ese

14. Tyrone Roberts
15. Tim Glasby
16. Chris Heighington
17. Mitchell Barnett

Is this the team we'll run out with game one in 2019? Doesn't look too bad and is better than this season but we have no depth what so ever in the forwards... If that team can play 80% of games together in 2019, I think that team makes the 8.

Backline looks like a Ferrari but unfortunately we have a Fiat under the hood.

If Jsaf is in our starting line-up we're stuffed. Cant think of a top 8 side in the comp where he'd feature in the run on side. Bench or reggies until he gets some ticker.

No mongrel in the engine room, let's hope someone comes on the market or I can see more of the same as this year- mind you with some luck injury wise I think we would be firmly in the 8 this year.

slotmachine

First Grade
Every team gets injuries. Have a look at the Panthers who copped it worse than us.

The issue is zero depth. If we're being generous there are maybe 17 or 18 legit first graders at the club, so if one of them goes down we're playing the Josh Kings of the world. The Panthers can have half their team out (including their whole spine) and still smoke the warriors by 30.

Going into 2019 with a plan of "don't get any injuries" isn't realistic.

Dave_

Juniors
"No injuries" is never the plan. All I'm asking for is the "luck" the Roosters, Melbourne and Donkeys have.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
This is what I’d like to see in the early rounds next year not factoring any guys we may or may not sign before then.

1. Ponga
2. Lee
3. Moga (If injured then Ross)
4. Ramien
5. SKD
6. Watson
7. Pearce
8. Ese’ese
9. Levi
10. D. Saifiti
11. Fitzgibbon
12. Matautia
13. Guerra

14. Buhrer
15. Barnett
16. Glasby
17. J. Saifiti

Sione to cover backline injuries, Buhrer to cover hooker/second row if needed, Barnett to give Guerra a spell and Glasby & Jacob to cover front row.

Starting 13 looks pretty solid but the bench still worries me. Need more forwards.

Spot On

Coach
Brown will lose his job if that's our best 17 next year. Still too much weakness in the 3, 9, 12, 14 and possibly 17 jerseys in above side imo unless Levi and Jacob pull their fingers out. Another big, aggressive prop is still needed. Buhrer should not be in the top squad. Would love a big, quick, skilful backrower in place of Sione and another strike centre who can also tackle.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Edrick Lee
3.Jesse Ramien
4.Tautau Moga
5.Shaun Kenny Dowell
6.Connor Watson
7.Mitchell Pearce
8. -
9.Danny Levi
10. -
11.Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12.Aiden Guerra
13.Herman Ese'ese

14.Sione Mata'utia
15.Daniel Saifiti
16.Tim Glasby
17. -

18. (New Prop)
19. (New Prop)
20. Mitch Barnett
21. Jacob Saifiti
22. (New Half)
23. Nathan Ross
24. Corey Denniss
25. Jamie Buhrer

If we can get two boom props, as well as a couple of first grade standard props and we're lucky with injuries - we can make the 8

Spot On

Coach
That would be close to ideal to start next season Joel.

Not sure where I prefer Herman to play. Spose it depends on the size and quality of any props we may get before next season.

Burwood

Bench
Pretty crazy that it looks like our entire 1-7 will be brought into the club and none up through the juniors. While our forward development has always been pretty poor over the years, we’ve at least had some talent in the backs.

I wonder how many years it’s going to take to get us back to consistently developing first grade quality players?

Spot On

Coach
Yep, it's almost as if our player development has died. Plus, we have a let or lost a few very good ones.

Hopefully this is changing with Wests on board???

Latest posts