What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights...a neutral's perspective

Wizardman

First Grade
Im not a Knights fan, but I do like to see the Knights go well.

I have watched most of your games over the season. I think your backline towards the end of the season is the one you should be going forward with next season (as in Boyd, Naquima, Gagai, Tahu and Uate). Those guys are good enough to win a title. I would not keep McManus if he is on good coin but he'd be a good back-up. Gidley is another option, but I'll cover him later.

I like the combination of Mullen / Roberts in the halves. Bennett should use this as a first choice option next season. Roberts with an off-season under his belt could work out to be a very good option at 7.
Mullen is an interesting one. Great feet and great mover. His option taking has also improved as the year has gone on. But, his kicking game at times has been woeful. Bennett worked wonder with a lesser talent in Jamie Soward so hopefully another season with Bennett will see him improve. You have lost some games because of his kicking. Im not convinced your halves can win you a title but worth watching for another season. Get a new half if they fail next season.

As for your pack....my dear lord. Deadset, they are the worst pack in the competition. When your best go forward guy is a bloke who has not had a league off season for over two years, you know that the rest of your pack is struggling.
Snowden....he was struggling last year for Cronulla. Very disappointing year. Cuthbertson....geez. Houston has never been a great go forward man, but he has zero impact. Costigan is no longer a factor in attack. It truly is a terrible pack in terms of go forward. Even in defence, apart from Houston....your pack still struggles.

Smith and Scott should help, but your team is still in desperate need of a decent prop and a linebreaking backrower.

Lets get back to Gidley. I don't quite know where he fits into your side. The Roberts/Mullen partership looks more potent than one with Gidley ever did. Boyd is a better fullback. The best spot for him would probably be in the centres....but the guys who are there at the moment are going fine. Mb use the money you are paying him to get better forwards. Mb stick Boyd in the centres to put Gigley at fb (which I believe is Gidley's best position).

ryana87

Juniors
I'm hoping for buderus and kidley to be very Co captains next year...... And for kidley to start on the bench

Burwood

Bench
Naiqama seems too good of a player to be on a second tier contract or a backup anymore, so it was interesting that Bennett kept him, along with Uate and McManus for next year. Surely there can't be room for all three of them next year in first grade.

Based on player retention this season, he could have easily not resigned Naiqama (a club like Cronulla would snap him up you'd think) or told McManus to look elsewhere in 2013. We would have had guys like Matautai capable of stepping up if need be.

Rolla

Juniors
Im not a Knights fan, but I do like to see the Knights go well.

I have watched most of your games over the season. I think your backline towards the end of the season is the one you should be going forward with next season (as in Boyd, Naquima, Gagai, Tahu and Uate). Those guys are good enough to win a title. I would not keep McManus if he is on good coin but he'd be a good back-up. Gidley is another option, but I'll cover him later.

I like the combination of Mullen / Roberts in the halves. Bennett should use this as a first choice option next season. Roberts with an off-season under his belt could work out to be a very good option at 7.
Mullen is an interesting one. Great feet and great mover. His option taking has also improved as the year has gone on. But, his kicking game at times has been woeful. Bennett worked wonder with a lesser talent in Jamie Soward so hopefully another season with Bennett will see him improve. You have lost some games because of his kicking. Im not convinced your halves can win you a title but worth watching for another season. Get a new half if they fail next season.

As for your pack....my dear lord. Deadset, they are the worst pack in the competition. When your best go forward guy is a bloke who has not had a league off season for over two years, you know that the rest of your pack is struggling.
Snowden....he was struggling last year for Cronulla. Very disappointing year. Cuthbertson....geez. Houston has never been a great go forward man, but he has zero impact. Costigan is no longer a factor in attack. It truly is a terrible pack in terms of go forward. Even in defence, apart from Houston....your pack still struggles.

Smith and Scott should help, but your team is still in desperate need of a decent prop and a linebreaking backrower.

Lets get back to Gidley. I don't quite know where he fits into your side. The Roberts/Mullen partership looks more potent than one with Gidley ever did. Boyd is a better fullback. The best spot for him would probably be in the centres....but the guys who are there at the moment are going fine. Mb use the money you are paying him to get better forwards. Mb stick Boyd in the centres to put Gigley at fb (which I believe is Gidley's best position).

I think I agree with everything you have said. I will say that out of his own half Mullen's kicking game is as good or better than any half around.... But in the attacking half it certainly needs plenty of work.

With Kev and Gagai we have a premiership backline now, especially since those two and Roberts have plenty of improvement in them.

I really see Gidley's best spot being the Number 14. Subbing for bedsy, covering all positions, and if our forwards are doing the job he could play lock later on and energetically sniff around the ruck.

I forward pack needs help. Nev has to go, his new found short kicking game won't save him. Agreed a meter eater and a line break threat is what we need in the pack (at least)

Yosh

Coach
How does a club like Manly have:

TWilliams
Ballin
Watmough
Stewart
King

And some quality subs in their pack and we've got what we've got... That's just not fair lol...

Big Tim

First Grade
Naiqama seems too good of a player to be on a second tier contract or a backup anymore, so it was interesting that Bennett kept him, along with Uate and McManus for next year. Surely there can't be room for all three of them next year in first grade.

Based on player retention this season, he could have easily not resigned Naiqama (a club like Cronulla would snap him up you'd think) or told McManus to look elsewhere in 2013. We would have had guys like Matautai capable of stepping up if need be.

Whilst there is only 2 wing positions, it has been proven again and again that you will need more than 2 wingers over a season.

I do think that contract situations dictate 1 of the 3 will not be a Knight in 2014.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Snowden and Mason are both better than King mate, easily.

Rose only plays short minutes but certainly has impact and Kite has always been good

Building a good pack takes time and Manly have invested the time so they deserve to reap the rewards.

Burwood

Bench
Whilst there is only 2 wing positions, it has been proven again and again that you will need more than 2 wingers over a season..

No argument there. I just find it unusual that we have 3 quality first-grade wingers for 2013. Usually the guy that fills in for replacement is a fringe first-grader, like Naiqama was at the start of this year. But his form when we resigned him indicated that he could easily pick up a top tier contract at another club.

My guess is that Bennett still doesn't know who he wants for 2014 and he somehow managed to convince Naiqama to sign a 12-month contract below what he could have gotten at another club.

kazuya10

Juniors
I agree with ost things you stated. However Gidley wont ome off the bench. Hes our captin and we re paying him 400k. Bedsy will come from the benchand Gidley will start at Hooker. When he comes on Gidley will shuffle all over the park.
In reguards to or 3 wingers, Naiqama needs to sure up his defense man n man and especily under the high ball. Thats the only thing keeping him out of the side. Someone wrote that we need a line breaking 2nd row? Mcmanus can fill tha void for us too at a pinch. Is it a given we are getting Smith??
Lastly, i dont post much here. I want to register my displeasure with Cositgan. for the 300-350k we payed him to come, hes done absolutly FA. I work in a club in Newcastle, he visits regulary and often gets rotten drunk. If we get Scott an Smith, Costigans arse has to go to the bench, thank god its his last year on his contract.

Costigan is on 220 k mate. As much as he has been a disappointment he is a good clubman. Like most players who come here they fall in love with the joint. He has one season to extend his career here. Don't write him off just yet.

Spot On

Coach
You've summed our squad/team up perfectly Wizard.

I too am happy for Tyrone to continue at half.

We have a very, very exciting backline. I hope Kev gets plenty of game time next year.

That said, we have a horrible pack of forwards with very poor props and little go forward. Groundhog day there.

Nev is definitely on 220K. Thank Christ we didn't pay any more. We aint getting a return from him at the moment.

kazuya10

Juniors
ohh ok i stand corrected. 220 is still 70kmore then what id pay for him. What did you guys think of my idea of Gidley starting at hooker with Danny off the bench?

Rod

Bench
That said, we have a horrible pack of forwards with very poor props and little go forward. Groundhog day there.

Bit of an exaggeration there. Our forward pack needs work no doubt, but it's nothing dramatic, we are probably one decent prop short that's all. Snowden and Mason are a decent prop combo, they are no Scott and Tamou but since Mason came on board we have improved dramatically in that area.

Spot On

Coach
Sorry Rod. I can't agree there. Mase played his best for his age. Can't deny that. The rest are far from NRL standard and watching the semis this week has driven home how far behind we are in terms of a decent pack. Very far behind. (I am referring to attack side of the game.)

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
ohh ok i stand corrected. 220 is still 70kmore then what id pay for him. What did you guys think of my idea of Gidley starting at hooker with Danny off the bench?

Hope he starts of the bench for Bedsy. He will murder teams out of dummy half with his running. Doesn't have to get tricky with play making. Put the odd kick in and tackle his arse off.

Latest posts